raea2002

Toddler With Behavioral Changes And Severe Constipation

Rate this topic

My son has been severely constipated for about 6 months now. Nothing seems to be helping. We have done miralax, lactalose, senna, and a few others. Anyways had celiac panel done (it was sent to CA) and came back normal. His esnophills came back elevated though. My son has had some MAJOR behavioral changes and I'm afraid to leave him alone with my 7 month old. Preschool is frustrated as am I. He is now head banging, screaming, and hitting all for some reason. He's constantly complained his tummy and lower back hurts since this constipation problems has started. Btw, we finally got hiim cleaned out.

Celiac runs in our family but neither my husband and I have it. Does this sound like gluten sensitivity or some other stomach issue? GI dr doesn't seem concerned because his blood panel was "normal". I'm at my whits end and don't know where to go from here.any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eosinophils are sometimes a diagnoses.  EGID  Where in the GI track were they found?  count?  Did your son have an endoscopy with biopsy?  My daughter has both Celiac and Eosinophilic Esophagitis.  A diagnoses of Eosinophil Gastrointestinal Disorder is a very serious diagnoses and the symptoms are extremely similar to Celiac.  There is now a proven link between the two and a new diagnoses of EE requires automatic screening of Celiac.

Work with a pediatric gastroenterologist for further testing and diagnoses.  Just a further question...  Did symptoms "flare" at the end of summer-early fall?  There seems to be a connection to airborne "allergens".  (this is the experience for mid west united states)

Have you considered making him gluten-free? It is possible he has non-celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI) which has ALL the same symptoms as celiac disease except the villi damage. It's also possible that his tests weren't accurate if he is new to the disease; the deaminated gliadin tests are generally the best to use on new cases or in very young celiacs - it catches cases that other tests miss.

My children tested negative but two have responded very well to the gluten-free diet: bathroom habits are much better and behavioural/concentration issues improved greatly. It took a few months but I'm glad I switched them to gluten-free.

Good luck!