Waitingindreams

Question About Probiotics

Rate this topic

So, after reading through other forums on this site - I have concluded that yes, I do need to take probiotics..and the brand of choice seems to be Culturelle. That is fine with me, since apparently it is sold at Walmart and other local drug stores. I should have no issues finding it. 

My question is - how long do you take the probiotics? I mean, are you on them for life? Do you only need them until you fully heal? I wasn't sure if it would be harmful to take them if you don't necessarily -need- them, if that makes sense. If it has to be a permanent thing that's fine, I just wasn't sure.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

So, after reading through other forums on this site - I have concluded that yes, I do need to take probiotics..and the brand of choice seems to be Culturelle. That is fine with me, since apparently it is sold at Walmart and other local drug stores. I should have no issues finding it. 

My question is - how long do you take the probiotics? I mean, are you on them for life? Do you only need them until you fully heal? I wasn't sure if it would be harmful to take them if you don't necessarily -need- them, if that makes sense. If it has to be a permanent thing that's fine, I just wasn't sure.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Probiotics  are  good  for you makes  healthy  environment   to  ward  off  illness... nothing  bad  about  them... I will say  there  are  hundreds  out there  some  help    some people  &  others  not  so much. Some  are  very cheap  some  are  not...Some  are  easy to  find  others  are not... For me  Culturelle  does  nothing......

You also should  consider  digestive  enzymes as well, they  help to break down  proteins, carbs , sugars....these  are taken  before  meals ...

Probiotics  should  be  taken  between meals  or  at  night  when the stomach  is  empty...

I've been taking a probiotic for years - way before I had ever heard of Celiac.  It helps in digestion and boosts your immune system.  The typical ones like Culturelle never did anything for me.  I get the Vitamin Shoppe brand, but have used various brands over the years - something with a variety of bacteria strains in it, not just one or two.  Be sure to read the package too, because some are supposed to be kept in the refridgerator to keep them alive, but there they'll be... sitting out on the shelf in the store.

If you drink clorinated water it's good to stay on a probiotic regimen because the clorine will kill the good-critters in your gut.

In the rare instances where I've had to take an antibiotic I have found that staying on the probiotic - even though I know they are pretty much immediately getting slaughtered by the antibiotic - seems to keep the negative-digestional-effects of the antibiotics down to a manageable level.