This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thanksgiving Dinner

w8in4dave

w8in4dave Community Regular

Well here in the U.S. we are gearing up for Thanksgiving. We usually eat at my Brother in laws , hubbs usually makes the bread stuffing, and the Kielbasa ( polish here ) So we usually have Turkey , Kielbasa, Stuffing , cookies cakes, green bean casserole, Potato Casserole, and everything is stuffed with Gluten!! Well this year I am going to make a mini Thanksgiving dinner for me, my grandson and daughter! This will be my 1st gluten-free Thanksgiving!! I always blamed my problems at the Brother in laws ,on his his water!! lol But Now we know!! I will bring  everything we usually bring, then a mini gluten-free dinner also. How does everyone eles handle their Thanksgiving or holiday dinners when most of it is cooked by someone eles? Do you just not eat? I am concerned other ones gluten-free stuff will be too CC'd so I am just going to do it myself. What is everyone eles doing?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Waitingindreams Enthusiast

Hi! This will be my first gluten free Thanksgiving as well, and I am celebrating it with my parents, sister and boyfriend - all gluten eaters.

So, this is what I am doing - I will have my own separate turkey breast. My parents usually stuff the turkey with regular stuffing, so I'll need to have my turkey separate. There are recipes for gluten frees stuffing out there, but I was never a big stuffing fan so I'm just going to exclude it all together. Udi's emailed me a recipe using their bread - it has walnuts and cranberries in it. I would google a bunch of recipes and find what suits your taste, that's what I'm doing. As for the greenbean casserole, that is one of my favorites too  - that reminds me! I need to find gluten free substitutes for some of the ingredients. I posted a thread about gluten free gravy recipes and the people here were very helpful! I also found packets of gluten-free premade gravy mix, the brand is "Simply Organic". I don't know what goes into making potato casserole, but I'm just going to make mashed potatoes. My mom usually adds cream cheese in them, so I'll make sure I use a gluten free brand of cream cheese.

I was also considering making cornbread, as I did find a few gluten free cornbread recipes. I also will probably cook some vegetables with my turkey breast. I'm not really too concerned with dessert since there are so many gluten free dessert options, I might just grab some 'SoDelicious' Coconut milk icecream an a gluten free cheesecake or pumpkin pie. Maybe some Andes candies. 

Since you are going to someone else's house, I think it's definitely a good idea to prepare your meal in advance. I would do the separate turkey breast and bring everything in separate containers. I'm sure you can find a storemade, gluten free dessert if you don't have the time to make your own. I'm pretty overwhelmed, I can't believe Thanksgiving is about three weeks away! Hopefully it won't be too difficult for either of us! 

sweetsailing Apprentice

It will be my first Thanksgiving being gluten free.  Eating at my brother and sister in laws.  They are going to make the turkey, however they will make regular gluten stuffing but bake that separately and not stuff the bird at all.  I volunteered to make the gravy (gluten-free of course).  I make all my own stock (chicken stock, turkey stock, beef stock, vegetable stock, shrimp stock, parmesean stock, etc) and have even before I went gluten free, so if you are willing to do that or can get some good quality gluten-free pre-made stock, I would do that. 

So, here's how you want to make your gravy:

Get 3 - 4 tablespoons of fat from the turkey roasting pan, heat the fat in the pan you will make the gravy in

Add 1/4 cup dry white wine, whisk

Put a 1/4 cup of warm water in a container with a lid on it, so you can shake it.  Add 5 tablespoons of your favorite gluten free flour blend to the water (you can also use just pure corn starch) and shake the container to combine the water and flour. 

Add the flour/water mixture to your gravy pan with the fat and wine.  Stir constantly with a whisk over medium heat until it starts to thicken.

Once thickened, add 4 cups of stock (could be chicken stock, turkey stock - whatever you have - in fact you can use any combination of different stocks - I use turkey stock and then add my secret ingredient - parmesean stock - I use 3 cups of turkey stock and 1 cup of parmesean stock - just make sure your total liquid content is 4 cups)

Stir with a whisk over medium heat until it's hot and as thick as you want.  If you find it's too thick, add more water.  If it's not thick enough, mix up some more water/flour mixture and add to the gravy. 

Season to your preference and serve. 

So, what is parmesean stock you ask?  When I buy parmesean cheese, I save the hard rind of the cheese that you typically would not eat or cut off and throw away, save this and put it in the freezer until you are ready to make stock.  Find your favorite stock recipe and simply use the parmesean rinds instead of the meat, chicken, etc that it calls for in the recipe. 

mamaw Community Regular

IF  anyone  is looking  for  a premix  gravy " full flavor foods " has  many  varieties  & they are  the  best  available

And  you  can  make  a pumpkin pie  without  the  crust just  spray the  baking  dish  first  & bake  as usual.... Whole Foods  has  gluten-free  pie  crusts plus several other  gluten-free  companies  makes their  own  version...

Funyuns also work  for the green bean  casserole  or  Ian's  has  frozen  breaded  onion  rings...

or  of course  any of this  can be  made  from scratch...

cyclinglady Grand Master

I've been hosting Thanksgiving for decades!  Since my husband's been gluten free, I prepared everything and prevented cross contamination.  Now that I'm gluten free, no one brings anything with gluten into our house.  I just prepare all the food.  It's so much easier and everyone understands.

That said, we are dining with gluten free extended relatives this year.  Not a spec of gluten will be on our table.  But I confess that I just hosted a turkey dinner and invited all the local family over.  No gluten.  No formal tableware either.  The worst part of Thanksgiving was all the Fall cleaning:  house, sliver, crystal, linens.  Yikes!  

Kielbasa and all things Polish is reserved for Christmas Eve.  I have not yet attempted to bake Kolackys (yeast based) gluten free (I really miss them).  I'd better start trying because I want to  "fool" the attending  gluten eaters!

Aghhhh Well my house is not big enuf to host the party. And I do not have the energy to clean it for a party anyway! But I am def going to take some of this into consideration. I was thinking of a corn bread stuffing but you know who has been having problems with corn! So no corn bread stuffing for me! I might still make it for my daughter and grandson. Potato casserole I might be able to pull that off :) I wish I could get a small turkey. But we are actually raising the bird we are taking this year. Hubbs wants to smoke the breast. It will work for me :) Altho I'd much rather have the leg , But smoked meat!! Yumm!! :) So yea any recipes will be greatly appreciated!! I think I can eat a small amount of corn .. But no corn syrup , as in pop or something like that. I think a small amount of wine in gravy will be ok. I have never made gravy with wine in it!! I want to tho!! I am going to google some recipes that look fantastic and see what I come up with.. Thanks for all the ideas!!

love2travel Mentor

It will be my first Thanksgiving being gluten free. Eating at my brother and sister in laws. They are going to make the turkey, however they will make regular gluten stuffing but bake that separately and not stuff the bird at all. I volunteered to make the gravy (gluten-free of course). I make all my own stock (chicken stock, turkey stock, beef stock, vegetable stock, shrimp stock, parmesean stock, etc) and have even before I went gluten free, so if you are willing to do that or can get some good quality gluten-free pre-made stock, I would do that.

So, here's how you want to make your gravy:

Get 3 - 4 tablespoons of fat from the turkey roasting pan, heat the fat in the pan you will make the gravy in

Add 1/4 cup dry white wine, whisk

Put a 1/4 cup of warm water in a container with a lid on it, so you can shake it. Add 5 tablespoons of your favorite gluten free flour blend to the water (you can also use just pure corn starch) and shake the container to combine the water and flour.

Add the flour/water mixture to your gravy pan with the fat and wine. Stir constantly with a whisk over medium heat until it starts to thicken.

Once thickened, add 4 cups of stock (could be chicken stock, turkey stock - whatever you have - in fact you can use any combination of different stocks - I use turkey stock and then add my secret ingredient - parmesean stock - I use 3 cups of turkey stock and 1 cup of parmesean stock - just make sure your total liquid content is 4 cups)

Stir with a whisk over medium heat until it's hot and as thick as you want. If you find it's too thick, add more water. If it's not thick enough, mix up some more water/flour mixture and add to the gravy.

Season to your preference and serve.

So, what is parmesean stock you ask? When I buy parmesean cheese, I save the hard rind of the cheese that you typically would not eat or cut off and throw away, save this and put it in the freezer until you are ready to make stock. Find your favorite stock recipe and simply use the parmesean rinds instead of the meat, chicken, etc that it calls for in the recipe.

I am with you on all homemade stocks (I roast the bones, veg, etc.) and broths including Parmesan. Also make mushroom broths. And, like you, I always use wines in gravies and sauces

unless it is with mushrooms and then I use Sherry. The key is to build a great flavour profile otherwise what follows will not be as good as possibly can be.

We celebrated our Canadian Thanksgiving in Croatia but Christmas will at our Canadian place. That is ok as I love to do all the cooking, anyway! I make all breads, compound butters, crackers, snacks, etc. gluten free there is absolutely no risk of CC which is important with my heaps of wee nieces and nephews. No gluten allowed here.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I am with you on all homemade stocks (I roast the bones, veg, etc.) and broths including Parmesan. Also make mushroom broths. And, like you, I always use wines in gravies and sauces

unless it is with mushrooms and then I use Sherry. The key is to build a great flavour profile otherwise what follows will not be as good as possibly can be.

We celebrated our Canadian Thanksgiving in Croatia but Christmas will at our Canadian place. That is ok as I love to do all the cooking, anyway! I make all breads, compound butters, crackers, snacks, etc. gluten free there is absolutely no risk of CC which is important with my heaps of wee nieces and nephews. No gluten allowed here.

THats so very sweet!! Love this!! Every time I read someone cooking for the whole family so no CC going on. I LOVE it!! Wish my house was bigger!! Darn polish PPL have so many kids and G'kids lol Just kidding everyone!! Hubbs is from a huge family :) I love them to the moon and back! Then plus!! But I have a small house , BIL's house is huge!! So it accommodates alot of people. Alot!! :) But I sure wish I could accommodate every one!! I'd offer to cook for everyone but .. I know it just will not work out .. :) OK tho I will def make some Gravy with wine or Sherry :) Thanks!! 

love2travel Mentor

THats so very sweet!! Love this!! Every time I read someone cooking for the whole family so no CC going on. I LOVE it!! Wish my house was bigger!! Darn polish PPL have so many kids and G'kids lol Just kidding everyone!! Hubbs is from a huge family :) I love them to the moon and back! Then plus!! But I have a small house , BIL's house is huge!! So it accommodates alot of people. Alot!! :) But I sure wish I could accommodate every one!! I'd offer to cook for everyone but .. I know it just will not work out .. :) OK tho I will def make some Gravy with wine or Sherry :) Thanks!!

We are thankful for our big house when we have family staying with us. I cannot tell you how nice it is not to have any gluten floating around! It feels great to be in a safe environment.

When cooking with alcohol, be sure it boils or reduces to eliminate that raw alcohol flavour. It is just there to enhance, not overwhelm.

And I know how you adore your grandbabies! It is heartwarming to read about. :-)

TY Love2travel!! Yes I just had mt Grandson for 2 nights!! I am whipped!! lol If I could just bottle that energy! Just let be have a drop of it? Lol Anyway!! He is safe here because he is Gluten Free also , hubbs got a nice big chicken from a friend .. I said TY TY TY !! I need it for Thanksgiving!! I guess I am cooking a chicken!! I cannot wait!! I wait!! Altho I am not sure how we are going to cook two birds in the oven at one time. Thats crazy! Gunna have to think about that! 

Well now I know I am having a problem with corn.. hmmm just going to have to do more thinking on this cooking thing!! What can I make the Gravy with? Will another flour work ? Or should I just not have a gravy?

Adalaide Mentor

You can use any starch in place of cornstarch to thicken a sauce or gravy. I've gotten and used free sample packs of rice and tapioca starch specifically for that purpose and they work just as well. I know not everyone does it the same way, but I just make a slurry and whisk it into seasoned, boiling drippings or broth. I like this method because I can gauge how much I want to use based on how quickly it thickens, and I never end up with accidental jelly thick gravy, which can happen if you start with your starch and add your broth. 

mbrookes Community Regular

Sweetsailing, that is how I make gravy, also. Rachel Ray made turkey gravy using pinot noir on TV today. I may try that instead of the white wine.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I've finally come to the realization that if I don't cook it, I don't eat it. We've gone to dinner at a neighbor's who is incredibly sweet about making me a separate dessert and being very careful but it's still such a gamble and not one I'm willing to take. I love cooking the meal and even if it's just the hubs and me, we'll eat at home. One neighbor is coming and maybe another.

JustCricket Newbie

I will be trying Allergy Free Alaska's gluten-free pie crust recipe with my grandma's pecan pie, and finding some way to make dressing. If I can't eat the turkey, because it was stuffed, I'll get a Jenny-O or something. 

moosemalibu Collaborator

I'm hosting my very first Friends-giving this Saturday. I have a total of 8 people to cook for. I plan on taking the leftovers to my boyfriend's family's on Thanksgiving so I won't feel left out and no one has to worry about changing their plans for me. I told my guests that they are allowed to bring their own beverages but I am cooking everything so it's all gluten-free. I have a gluten free house so no one is allowed to risk CC'ing me by bringing a dish.

I am a little nervous since I haven't hosted a gathering before, especially a traditional holiday..

My menu:

Brined turkey with herb butter (not stuffed)

Red mashed potatoes

gluten-free gravy (already made a test run with Arrowhead Mills pancake flour -worked really well)

cranberry sauce

gluten-free stuffing (crockpot recipe)

green beans with bacon

pumpkin pie with almond crust (also going to be dairy free)

maple vanilla ice cream (using coconut milk since I'm dairy free)

Am I missing any important dishes? I figure I should have another vegetable.. any quick n simple suggestions?

shadowicewolf Proficient

I'm hosting my very first Friends-giving this Saturday. I have a total of 8 people to cook for. I plan on taking the leftovers to my boyfriend's family's on Thanksgiving so I won't feel left out and no one has to worry about changing their plans for me. I told my guests that they are allowed to bring their own beverages but I am cooking everything so it's all gluten-free. I have a gluten free house so no one is allowed to risk CC'ing me by bringing a dish.

I am a little nervous since I haven't hosted a gathering before, especially a traditional holiday..

My menu:

Brined turkey with herb butter (not stuffed)

Red mashed potatoes

gluten-free gravy (already made a test run with Arrowhead Mills pancake flour -worked really well)

cranberry sauce

gluten-free stuffing (crockpot recipe)

green beans with bacon

pumpkin pie with almond crust (also going to be dairy free)

maple vanilla ice cream (using coconut milk since I'm dairy free)

Am I missing any important dishes? I figure I should have another vegetable.. any quick n simple suggestions?

Cream corn?

A fresh veggie tray may be good as well.

moosemalibu Collaborator

Cream corn?

A fresh veggie tray may be good as well.

Thanks~ Both are great suggestions - the creamed corn is another dairy substitute mess probably? I have never made it before... But the tray is a great (and quick) alternative too!

Adalaide Mentor

I'll bet creamed corn would be divine with coconut milk. The canned kind, not the kind you buy for cereal or regular drinking. 

If you do eggs you can do deviled eggs with the veggies. They're super easy. Best Foods (Hellman's back east) has a good soy free mayo that I like that doesn't cost both arms like the stuff at the health food store.  :ph34r:

moosemalibu Collaborator

I'll bet creamed corn would be divine with coconut milk. The canned kind, not the kind you buy for cereal or regular drinking. 

If you do eggs you can do deviled eggs with the veggies. They're super easy. Best Foods (Hellman's back east) has a good soy free mayo that I like that doesn't cost both arms like the stuff at the health food store.  :ph34r:

I have a stockpile of canned coconut milk because I'm dairy free. I don't drink anything but tea and water so I am not apt to buy the wrong one. ;) You don't think the coconut flavor would overpower the corn? I guess I don't know what spices to pair with it...??

Adalaide Mentor

I would just pick a good loocking (to me) recipe from someone with a reputation for Southern cooking. Usually it gets made with heavy cream, so using a generic milk substitute just won't be rich enough. (imo) I think it would be different in a good and exciting way, although I'm sure not everyone would agree with me. But then, I don't keep canned coconut milk in my house because I would drink it. 

moosemalibu Collaborator

I would just pick a good loocking (to me) recipe from someone with a reputation for Southern cooking. Usually it gets made with heavy cream, so using a generic milk substitute just won't be rich enough. (imo) I think it would be different in a good and exciting way, although I'm sure not everyone would agree with me. But then, I don't keep canned coconut milk in my house because I would drink it. 

Thanks Adalaide! If you ever come over for drinks I'll have a can open and waiting for you! ;) I googled the recipes and it is a sweeter dish which makes sense with coconut milk... I was thinking more savory at first.

love2travel Mentor

As you are brining the turkey, you will need to watch the salt levels in the drippings for gravy. An option would be a dry brine instead or put less salt in the wet brine.

moosemalibu Collaborator

As you are brining the turkey, you will need to watch the salt levels in the drippings for gravy. An option would be a dry brine instead or put less salt in the wet brine.

I did a test turkey and gravy and did notice that the gravy was more salty than usual. Thought it was the extra salt/pepper I put on the outside of the turkey after I rinsed and put it in the oven. May have to rethink that... thanks for pointing that out!

love2travel Mentor

I did a test turkey and gravy and did notice that the gravy was more salty than usual. Thought it was the extra salt/pepper I put on the outside of the turkey after I rinsed and put it in the oven. May have to rethink that... thanks for pointing that out!

When brining meats (usually pork) it is when I am not making a pan sauce using drippings. Here a dry rub would be your best bet in my opinion.

Good luck! It will all turn out and will be lots of fun.

Archived