josh052980

Tylenol: Do You Take It Or No?

Rate this topic

I can't find anything that's conclusive; even emailing their customer service didn't help, they just gave me the typical lawyer response. Does anyone here take it and have no issues? I gotta find something now that Advil isn't safe.

Why isn't Advil safe?  Tylenol is the one that most doctors are advising people to not use very often because of liver damage?  I think it was liver damage.  Anyway, try different generics?  Target Ibuprophen says gluten-free on the box.  Maybe the acetaminophen is labelled gluten-free too?  I think Walgreens has some things labeled gluten-free. 

http://glutenfreedrugs.com/Walgreensgflist.pdf   I see ibuprophen right off.

Why isn't Advil safe?  Tylenol is the one that most doctors are advising people to not use very often because of liver damage?  I think it was liver damage.  Anyway, try different generics?  Target Ibuprophen says gluten-free on the box.  Maybe the acetaminophen is labelled gluten-free too?  I think Walgreens has some things labeled gluten-free. 

http://www.gfoverflow.com/results.php?q=advil

I don't know anything about that website.  It is a bit confusing.  I would go with what Advil actually says which is a bit of a CYA statement.

http://www.advil.com/faqs

"Gluten is not added to Advil® Film-Coated products during the manufacturing process. However, we cannot guarantee that minute amounts of gluten or gluten derivatives are not contained in raw materials obtained from various suppliers for our manufacturing process since the end product is not tested for gluten. You should check with your doctor if you have any concerns about taking this product."

Buy Target brand - its likely cheaper.

I buy generic Walgreens brands of ibuprofin. Some have stated on the box that they're gluten free and some I've called about. I've also see the Target ones that say right on the box that they're safe.

And while we may not like it, the simple fact is that nearly every pharmaceutical company in existence gives a "lawyer" or CYA response. I've been told things like "we consider it gluten free because to the best of our knowledge we do not knowingly add any gluten or gluten derived products to it, but we don't test it and blah blah blah cover our ass." Excellent, I'll buy it, sounds gluten free to me. We live in a gluten filled world, that's as good as it gets.

And the reason I don't know anything about Advil or Tylenol is because it has never crossed my mind to pay twice as much for something that is the same product just because a popular company makes it. I still find it laughable that they're making both products and successfully selling them.

My local grocery store, HEB, has their private label acetaminophen marked gluten-free.  A lot of things they have are similar looking to walgreens house brand stuff so they might use the same manufacturer, at least on a few things.  Worth a look.