mamafish

Newly gluten-free And Really Thirsty?

Rate this topic

We just went gluten-free yesterday, and I've been watching my kiddos with interest.  But the first thing I'm noticing is in me.  I'm way thirstier than normal.  Is that just a strange anomaly, or have other people noticed this?  

(I'm not diagnosed celiac, this is an experiment to see if it impacts all the other numbers that are apparently out of whack - ferritin, hypothyroid, thyroid antibodies, and osteopenia at 43).

I regularly drink 8 to 10 big glasses of water daily - have for years - so am well hydrated and did not experience any changes in my thirst when I went gluten-free.  That said, your body may be starting to clean out and wanting some additional water to help it along.  Also, when your body is sluggish - the way it gets when it's getting gluttened - you can lose some sensations - so your body may just not have been telling you that you were thirsty before.  Now the message is getting through.

One other thing I just thought of is if you're eating a lot of "gluten-free" processed food, check their salt content.  You may be getting way too much sodium.

Clearing out crap is definitely a possibility.  I don't drink a ton of water usually, so maybe my body is trying to tell me something :).

Nothing processed yet, and we eat plenty of salt regularly, so I don't think it's anything like that.  It was just a curiosity, and definitely hasn't abated yet!  We shall see.