This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Suddenly Intolerant Of Dairy?

Missy1306

Missy1306 Newbie

I was diagnosed celiac 2 & 1/2 years ago. Part of what drove me to discover my issue was a sudden intolerance to any dairy. After diagnosis and going strictly gluten free, I started to feel better and I was able to eat dairy again with no problem and that has been the case for the last 2 years. Recently I have started feeling bad again. I am still very strict about gluten, but have been having upper stomach pains. Because of that, my GI did an Upper endoscopy and found erosive gastritis. She prescribed prilosec for a couple weeks which really has not helped. In fact, I feel worse and have had D as well as terrible nausea. As I have looked back over the last several days and looked at the timing of my symptoms, it really seems to be after I have dairy. Is it strange that this dairy intolerance would return all of a sudden?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I'm so sorry that you're not feeling well.  

I've been gluten-free for over seven months now and I've just started having upper stomach problems for the last two weeks.  I know I'm adhering to the diet since I haven't been eating out and I've successfully kept my husband on a gluten-free diet for the past 12 years.  I plan on going to my GI next week.   I've been trying to figure out what's been going on and I thought I pinned it down to pumpkin seeds or xanthan gum (found in gluten-free flour mixes and processed foods/breads).   Since my anemia and thyroid issues have resolved and summer is over, I've been baking like crazy and eating all those goodies!  I've also been using a gluten-free salad dressing that also contains xanthan gum.  So, my exposure to the seeds or xanthan gum has increased/consumed daily.   I have read online that if can cause problems that mimic getting glutened.   It's only been two days since I've eliminated these two items and I figure, like a glutening, it will take me a week to resolve.  I'm hoping that it will be something so simple! 

Anyway, I've been really puzzled about my upper stomach pain.  I have never have pain like that ever (just had Hashi's and anemia prior to my diagnosis) except between my celiac blood test and my endoscopy.  I consumed a loaf of bread a day on top of all my favorite pastries, etc.  and  developed pain in my stomach, bloating in that area, and a rock-like feeling that took about six weeks to resolve after going gluten free.  

I believe you can develop food intolerances at any time.  I hope that others here can shed some light on this subject.  I  meant to inquire about my issues on this forum but wanted to test out my theory (pumpkin seeds or xanthan gum).  Your posting gave me that push!  

Juliebove Rising Star

Not strange at all.  Intolerances come and go.  Daughter outgrew dairy.  Then I did but the Dr. told me never to eat it based on my severe reaction to it.  Did I listen?  No.  I was jealous of daughter being able to eat cheese.  I ate some.  Nothing bad happened.  I ate it again and again.  And then there was the big D but I was in denial for several weeks.  Did not usually eat it at home any more but was still getting nachos at the Target Cafe.  Got to where I could not finish my shopping before I needed an emergency bathroom stop.  And then I barely made it back home.  A subsequent test shows dairy as a problem.  So no more dairy for me.

Missy1306 Newbie

Thank you so much for the replies. I am really wondering if this could be why the endoscopy showed such erosive gastritis. As I look back I think I have been reacting to dairy for a while…even though it was pretty mild. Sad to give up something else, but looking forward to feeling better. 

• 4 weeks later...
mynxr Rookie

I was diagnosed with Celiacs disease the beginning of this year.  About a month ago, I became intolerant of dairy.  Every time I drink a glass of milk or have ice cream, I get very nauseated and vomit.  Once all the dairy is out of my stomach, I begin to feel better.  The same thing happened when I ate homemade custard.  I just discovered yesterday that all of the medications I take except one have hidden gluten in them.  I went off all of them yesterday and am seeing my Dr tomorrow afternoon.  Is it possible that by continuing to unknowingly ingest gluten for almost this entire year that I have damaged my stomach and instestine to the point that I can only tolerate certain foods?  Will it, the dairy intolerance, ever improve or am I destined to no milk products or items containing milk products?

Thanks!

Kathleen

cyclinglady Grand Master

I was diagnosed with Celiacs disease the beginning of this year.  About a month ago, I became intolerant of dairy.  Every time I drink a glass of milk or have ice cream, I get very nauseated and vomit.  Once all the dairy is out of my stomach, I begin to feel better.  The same thing happened when I ate homemade custard.  I just discovered yesterday that all of the medications I take except one have hidden gluten in them.  I went off all of them yesterday and am seeing my Dr tomorrow afternoon.  Is it possible that by continuing to unknowingly ingest gluten for almost this entire year that I have damaged my stomach and instestine to the point that I can only tolerate certain foods?  Will it, the dairy intolerance, ever improve or am I destined to no milk products or items containing milk products?

Thanks!

Kathleen

Yikes!  Getting "glutened" everyday by your meds!  How awful for you!  The good news is that you caught it and are now correcting it.  I hope you start to feel better soon.

I have had a milk allergy for years.  I was hoping that I'd be able to have milk products after going gluten free, but I still have milk issues!   :(   Everyone's different, so let's hope you'll eventually get dairy back now that you've completely eliminated gluten.

Check out the newbie thread under the "Coping" section of the forum.  You might be other hidden sources of gluten.  

Best of luck to you!

w8in4dave Community Regular

When your Villi heal you may become tolerant of Dairy again. So just let your self heal and maby down the road when your healed enuf you can go back to dairy. I was intolerant of dairy for a while myself. Now I can have it! Thank goodness!! I was miserable when it came to not having Dairy! I keep it light! But I can tolerate it! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

w8in4dave Community Regular

I might have to check in my meds. That would me bad if mine were Glutenized! 

• 4 weeks later...
Rissa019 Newbie

Word for word, I am going through the same thing! We have not done a celiac test yet, but have gone through so many other blood tests and that is the only one left. I went gluten free one year ago, and up until about two months ago, it was the best lifestyle change I have made. No more mood swings, drowsiness, no more sickness, brain fogs, pain, gas or bloating.. I lost 10 pounds just from cutting out gluten! Two months ago however, I began having those reactions again, but only partial ones.. although no gluten was being ingested. The past few weeks, I have noticed both milk and ice cream have been causing the most severe nausea I have ever experienced, accompanied by vomiting and weakness. I was sick on Christmas because of pancakes I had eaten the day before! :wacko: Time to knock this thing out of the park once and for all. I have a gastroscopy Tuesday to look for damage in the intestines, and hopefully they will give me some pointers on how to heal my poor stomach. Glad to know someone else is going through the same thing~

kareng Grand Master

Word for word, I am going through the same thing! We have not done a celiac test yet, but have gone through so many other blood tests and that is the only one left. I went gluten free one year ago, and up until about two months ago, it was the best lifestyle change I have made. No more mood swings, drowsiness, no more sickness, brain fogs, pain, gas or bloating.. I lost 10 pounds just from cutting out gluten! Two months ago however, I began having those reactions again, but only partial ones.. although no gluten was being ingested. The past few weeks, I have noticed both milk and ice cream have been causing the most severe nausea I have ever experienced, accompanied by vomiting and weakness. I was sick on Christmas because of pancakes I had eaten the day before! :wacko: Time to knock this thing out of the park once and for all. I have a gastroscopy Tuesday to look for damage in the intestines, and hopefully they will give me some pointers on how to heal my poor stomach. Glad to know someone else is going through the same thing~

You know that, if you have been gluten free for a year, it is unlikely they will find any Celiac damage.  It is possible to become lactose intolerant at any time in your life so that may be your new issue.

Rissa019 Newbie

You know that, if you have been gluten free for a year, it is unlikely they will find any Celiac damage.  It is possible to become lactose intolerant at any time in your life so that may be your new issue.

I have ingested so many "accidental" gluten-containing products, even ones labeled "Gluten free" before the re-labeling rules went into effect. If intestinal damage is a problem, the damage will most likely show. We will see what the doctor finds though.  :)

kareng Grand Master

I have ingested so many "accidental" gluten-containing products, even ones labeled "Gluten free" before the re-labeling rules went into effect. If intestinal damage is a problem, the damage will most likely show. We will see what the doctor finds though.  :)

I'm curious - if they are labelled gluten-free, how do you know they have gluten? Maybe something else is the issue. Because, honestly, I rarely get " glutened". It's more likely to happen at a restaurant.

Rissa019 Newbie

I'm curious - if they are labelled gluten-free, how do you know they have gluten? Maybe something else is the issue. Because, honestly, I rarely get " glutened". It's more likely to happen at a restaurant.

Maybe something else is the issue in addition to gluten. That is why I have three doctor appointments and procedures next week, to kick this in the butt and regain my energy and health. Before the labeling restrictions on "parts per million" of gluten were issued, I would eat frozen dinners labeled "gluten free" and still get sick. Those products no longer are able to be labeled "gluten free" now.  I get the same attack every time gluten is ingested, thus rendering why I have assumed gluten to be the culprit. Just yesterday I had a "gluten free" burger and today have had 3 attacks thus far. I assume the burger was gluten free, but not the bacon added onto the burger. Hoping for good results at the doctor, because I am very tired of these worsening of symptoms. 

kareng Grand Master

Maybe something else is the issue in addition to gluten. That is why I have three doctor appointments and procedures next week, to kick this in the butt and regain my energy and health. Before the labeling restrictions on "parts per million" of gluten were issued, I would eat frozen dinners labeled "gluten free" and still get sick. Those products no longer are able to be labeled "gluten free" now. I get the same attack every time gluten is ingested, thus rendering why I have assumed gluten to be the culprit. Just yesterday I had a "gluten free" burger and today have had 3 attacks thus far. I assume the burger was gluten free, but not the bacon added onto the burger. Hoping for good results at the doctor, because I am very tired of these worsening of symptoms.

I'm in the US and have never seen a bacon with gluten. But if you were eating out, maybe there was some cc from the grill or something.

I'll try one more time as I don't want to keep hijacking this thread. Here is what Celiac experts say about eating gluten before testing for celiac.

Open Original Shared Link

Anyway, Hopefully, the tests will give you some direction. good luck.

Edited: my link didn't paste before

Rissa019 Newbie

I'm in the US and have never seen a bacon with gluten. But if you were eating out, maybe there was some cc from the grill or something.

I'll try one more time as I don't want to keep hijacking this thread. Here is what Celiac experts say about eating gluten before testing for celiac.

Anyway, Hopefully, the tests will give you some direction. good luck.

I always have to check bacon for gluten.. some of it is processed to the extreme, esp. the microwaveable bacon. I have gotten sick on two kinds. And it was at a restaurant, so that could also have been the case. Thanks!

kareng Grand Master

I always have to check bacon for gluten.. some of it is processed to the extreme, esp. the microwaveable bacon. I have gotten sick on two kinds. And it was at a restaurant, so that could also have been the case. Thanks!

Just because it has a lot of ingredients or " processing" doesn't mean it has gluten.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I had to go DF about 8 years into my gluten-free lifestyle. I was SO unhappy... I swear, going gluten-free was easier. No matter what anyone says... there is NO substitute for good cheese, I'm sorry.

I was (mostly) DF for about 6 months and all of the symptoms went away. I've just started limiting dairy again and the symptoms are already better.

Rissa019 Newbie

Just because it has a lot of ingredients or " processing" doesn't mean it has gluten.

Yes, that is true. But it does mean that it contains numerous additives that are similar to gluten and can cause the similar symptoms.

kareng Grand Master

Yes, that is true. But it does mean that it contains numerous additives that are similar to gluten and can cause the similar symptoms.

Additives may cause you issues, but that does not make them gluten or even "similar to gluten".   I'm not sure what you are trying to say?  Perhaps you could provide some research that shows this?  

But, these theories really aren't on subject.  Maybe make a new thread to discuss them?

Rissa019 Newbie

Additives may cause you issues, but that does not make them gluten or even "similar to gluten".   I'm not sure what you are trying to say?  Perhaps you could provide some research that shows this?  

But, these theories really aren't on subject.  Maybe make a new thread to discuss them?

That is my personal experience. Each body reacts differently to contaminants being ingested. 

notme Experienced

That is my personal experience. Each body reacts differently to contaminants being ingested. 

i can't tolerate some ingredients of processed foods - nothing to do with gluten.  nitrates, soy <i have a secondary sensitivity that will mimic a gluten reaction), dyes, smoke flavoring, blah, blah, blah - i am sensitive to additives.  eating out is a no-no for me, and the GLUTEN reaction when i get cc'd is unmistakable.  maybe you should try a food journal  :)  when i am shopping, the ingredient list must be short. 

back on topic:  when i was first dx'd with celiac, i skipped the dairy for about 6 months.  seems to be ok now.  unless i get to feeling froggy and eat some kind of funkadelic cheese or ice cream with unidentifiable ingredients.  i still drink lactaid milk because i like it. 

IrishHeart Veteran

This is simply not true.

Would you kindly show me the evidence (scientific, chemical, any study that was peer-reviewed??)

that "numerous additives" in bacon are "similar to gluten" and can "cause the similar symptoms"

Anecdotal evidence..is not proof and we do not want any new reader to think bacon has gluten in it. (It doesn't)

I have a problem with it because I also have a Histamine intolerance which has nothing to do with gluten.

Rissa019 Newbie

I know of one brand of bacon that does have gluten in it. And when I eat gluten, I get sick, with an autoimmune attack. When I eat processed additives, I get sick in the very same way, just without an autoimmune attack. To me, it feels similar. I don't have chemical evidence or what not, I only know what makes me sick. Thank you for the correction.

IrishHeart Veteran

I know of one brand of bacon that does have gluten in it. And when I eat gluten, I get sick, with an autoimmune attack. When I eat processed additives, I get sick in the very same way, just without an autoimmune attack. To me, it feels similar. I don't have chemical evidence or what not, I only know what makes me sick. Thank you for the correction.

"Sick" is one thing. I know that feeling because I get it from some preservatives, additives and high histamine foods but it has nothing to do with gluten.

"No autoimmune attack" means--- what exactly?

IMHO it is not gluten.. Maybe it feels similar and I am sorry you feel bad, but we like to provide accurate info especially on brand names, so...what  brand would that be that has gluten??

See, if you provide the name, then others can avoid it.

Thanks! 

Archived