Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott Adams

Celiac Sprue Association Recognizes Omission Beer As Risk-Free For Celiacs - Marketwatch

Celiac Sprue Association Recognizes Omission Beer As Risk-Free For Celiacs

MarketWatch

OMAHA, Neb., Nov. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- The Celiac Sprue Association (CSA), the largest non-profit celiac support group in America, today announced that Omission Beer has met stringent requirements for earning the organization's ...

and more »

View the full article

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Apparently the CSA actually did not say that Omission beer was risk free, but just that it passed their certification: 

http://celiacdisease.about.com/b/2013/11/21/is-barley-based-omission-beer-really-risk-free-for-celiacs.htm

"First of all, CSA executive director Mary Schluckebier apologizes for the headline calling Omission "risk-free," -- she says CSA never intended to quantify Omission as "risk-free," and in fact doesn't consider it to be risk-free. The CSA isn't endorsing Omission beer, either, Schluckebier tells me."

I'm glad for the clarification.  I was beginning to lose faith that these places were actually working for our safety.  Thanks for posting.

Colleen

Apparently the CSA actually did not say that Omission beer was risk free, but just that it passed their certification: 

http://celiacdisease.about.com/b/2013/11/21/is-barley-based-omission-beer-really-risk-free-for-celiacs.htm

"First of all, CSA executive director Mary Schluckebier apologizes for the headline calling Omission "risk-free," -- she says CSA never intended to quantify Omission as "risk-free," and in fact doesn't consider it to be risk-free. The CSA isn't endorsing Omission beer, either, Schluckebier tells me."

"According to Schluckebier, Omission actually applied under a new section of the CSA program designed for products that are made from wheat, barley, rye or oats but rendered gluten-free (this part of the program actually was created for new types of oats that have been bred to eliminate the oat proteins to which many of us react)."

There is no indication, from the CSA's awarding of this 'seal', that it was given though a different part of the program than other products do. The 'seal' is the same. I find that to be rather disingenuous. A lot of people consider a CSA seal to mean 'no further research necessary'.  Not to mention the fact that they are completely ignoring Dr Fasano's opinion of the Elisa test's ability to detect denatured

gluten proteins....

Dang.  The more information we have, the more knowledge we seek - 

Colleen 

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

Dear god yes lol, I have a corn allergy and the starch is hit miss if it triggers a reaction, but they could also be from rice, or tapioca....seriously they need to go the route of many shampoos/body washes that list the chemical/ingredient...
    since they just say "food starch" they could have made it from a cows arse for all i know. they need to just say what it comes from every time lol
    Here is the interpretation chart he sent me and yes I have 2 kids in which their pediatrician said they didn’t need to be tested unless they show symptoms which goes against everything I have read about symptoms being silent etc.... Is i...