This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Got "corned"

bartfull

bartfull Rising Star

I STILL haven't found a vitamin I can take, but I know I need some. So I went to the health food store and asked again if he could help me find something. Well, there was a calcium/magnesium that looked safe, and a vitamin C powder that he thought MIGHT not be sourced from corn.

I took some. Oh Lord, I was SO SICK!!!! Within a half hour my stomach started rumbling. I was in the bathroom several times, and when it seemed like I may have "gotten it all out of me", I went to bed.

I couldn't get warm, but usually when I'm cold my hands and feet are cold. This was my torso. I would get a prickly feeling all over, then my muscles would tighten up (spasm?) and I would shiver. I had three thick comforters on me and was still so cold! And I kept getting those prickly feelings followed by the spasms every few minutes for about three hours.

When I told my friend Bonnie, she said it sounded like I had gone into shock. Is that even possible? I mean, I was conscious through it all. I never passed out or anything. I just felt sick and so weirdly cold. I can't explain it. It felt like my innards were made of ice. I was cold from the inside out.

Anyway, I'm concerned. I never even had any digestive trouble from corn before. It was just psoriasis. This reaction was the worst I have ever had to anything. I really thought for a while there that I might die. I DO have a psoriasis flare now, but this cold thing, that was new and frightening. I knew I needed to avoid corn, but now it is imperative!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

Are you sure it was the supplements?  It sounds like food poisoning.  Did you get new produce?  Something that could be in your food supply?  it sounds like it was awful.  Sorry you had to go through that.

Colleen 

bartfull Rising Star

Nope. Ate from the same piece of chicken I had cooked and ate the day before. Same batch of sweet potatoes (I cook a bunch, then peel and mash them), and same bunch of broccoli. I took the calcium/magnesium one day with no problems. Then I took the C the next day and this happened. It was Solaray brand. Ingredients: "Vitamin C (as calcium ascorbate). Other ingredients: None." Ascorbic acid usually is dervived from corn but Rich said he wasn't sure so I took the chance. I won't do THAT again!

I bet this set me back again too. I had gotten to where I could tolerate corn starch. Then I got glutened and lost it again for a while. I had gotten it back again, but I bet I've lost it again now. Doesn't matter because my Canyon Bakehouse doesn't have corn meal OR corn starch anymore, but this probably means I'm going to have to keep spending close to forty bucks for a small bottle of compounded Tylenol :angry:

GF Lover Rising Star

Dang.  That just plain sucks.

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

:( I hope you're feeling a bit better now!

I'll say flat out I don't understand all the ins and outs of corn intolerance, but I take MegaFood vitamins which are soy, dairy and gluten free.

Here's a link Open Original Shared Link  

Is there anything on this label that makes you skeptical?  Like I said I don't know much about corn intolerance, but besides words like corn starch, what else do you look for?

bartfull Rising Star

I'm feeling great today, thanks! I took this on Friday evening. Was really shaky on Saturday, and yesterday I took the whole day off and mostly just slept. Got up this morning feeling like I could take on the world. (But instead I took on the cat and a couple of guitar students who don't practice enough. :D )

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Ooh man, that's not cool. "I don't know" should mean "No, don't touch this". It does sound like it could be more than just a reaction to the corn, though, like maybe something was off with the powder aside from that. But then again, I get stupid chills from glutenings some times, so it could be that if this was corn, and just corn, then bam!

You should go back to the store and tell the clerk that it indeed does contain corn, also maybe contact the company to double check? It's a real shame there isn't a way to sample supplements, because them things are not cheap.

Big big hugs and much pretty music to you, Bart. It's like 1 step forward, 2 steps back, but we keep crawling on.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I had to stop in there to get bread last night. I mentioned how sick I got and they told me to bring it back for a refund. AND, while I was in there another guy I know (not really well, but I always liked him) was bringing a delivery of organic bison. He told the owner to GIVE me five pounds! Every time something bad happens it seems that something good (better) happens to counterbalance it. :)

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Now THAT is taking care of your customers. Go cook yourself up some bison (and ship me up some... kidding)

Archived