This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long And How Much Gluten Needed For Gi Test?

sisterlynr

sisterlynr Explorer

I have a diagnosis of DH and Lupus but none of my doctors agree as to what is causing 'the rash'. One biopsy indicated a pointer to Lupus and none of the 8 biopsies showed DH although only 2 were done properly for DH.

I am scheduled to meet a new GI in December and hopefully she will combine a Colonoscopy and EGD procedure, the same day.  I will ask the GI to biopsy via EGD and maybe that will settle the Celiac DH issue.

I have not been lesion free since Feb 2012 although I have been gluten-free since Oct 2012.  I have had minor relief but then all symptoms renew.  I'm on mega histamine blockers so that is helping me keep my sanity.

If the procedures are scheduled in mid December, when should I add gluten back to my diet?  How much should I intake?  

Thanks for any information.  I'm sure someone has been in this same situation.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

See page 2, the last paragraph in the right column.

Open Original Shared Link

In other words..... you're already too late to start glutening yourself.

sisterlynr Explorer

See page 2, the last paragraph in the right column.

In other words..... you're already too late to start glutening yourself.

:(   Well . . . I will discuss this with the GI and see what goes.  I had a polyp removed and my esophagus stretched in 2010 so this isn't an elective procedure.  My iron is low again and my PCP is adamant that I have both procedures.

Thanks for pointing me to the information.  

kareng Grand Master

I doubt they will decide to do a colonoscopy at a doctor appt. with all the prep you have to do. You should have time to gluten up.

However, if you are diagnosed with DH that is an automatic diagnosis of Celiac.

sisterlynr Explorer

I doubt they will decide to do a colonoscopy at a doctor appt. with all the prep you have to do. You should have time to gluten up.

However, if you are diagnosed with DH that is an automatic diagnosis of Celiac.

I have had colon issues for years and family hx (1 uncle 3 aunts deceased) with colon cancer.  Cousins with Celiac per biopsy.  I have had a colonoscopy every other year since I was in my 30's.  One year I had 3 colonoscopies and one that year included the EGD at the same time.  They were always looking for cancer but only found red patches of inflammation.  

I was scheduled for a colonoscopy and EGD this summer but the GI wanted to do separate procedures and my co-pay would be over $500.00, which I do not have. . . on my limited disability income.  Since he wouldn't do as I asked, I cancelled the appointment.

I am going to see a GI that will do both procedures at the same time.  They will schedule the procedures on my first visit, due to my history and I have my med recs to give her.  The prep is worse than the procedure, in my opinion.

I have had 3 EGD's that I remember and was never told I had Celiac.  One was because the GI said my stomach was way too tender and thought it was cancer.  One was to check the duct after gallbladder removal, thinking I had developed another stone.  The stone finally passed as they saw the damage to the duct, this one resulted in Pancreatitis which was horrid and lasted several months.  The other EGD was in 2010 and although I asked the GI to biopsy for Celiac, he failed to do so. . . I wasn't very happy when I woke up.  He did stretch my esophagus during the procedure.

Will see what December holds for me.

Archived