This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Liquid Diet Post Glutening?

c.anne

c.anne Newbie

I have been gluten free for 2 years and I'm pretty careful so I don't often have many problems. I was traveling this weekend and got glutened. Should I do a clear liquid diet for a few days? Have you found any thing to be helpful in treating post glutening?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I think you have to find what is helpful for you and your unique symptoms.  A clear liquid diet might be very helpful for diarrhea.    Some find that eating light foods like some rice in chicken broth or Cream of Buckwheat cereal is helpful.  I find that rice Chex and lots of water work well for me.

surviormom Rookie

Water, green tea, and broth are my go to.  I do add some light food when I make something for the family that is really good, I will let myself have a couple of bites.  It helps shorten the recovery time.

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I'm new at this and have not yet had to go through a post gluten-free glutening reaction, but in my pre-gluten-free days whenever I had a stomach bug chicken broth (I drink it like tea) helps tremendously, followed by a bit of an apple and green beans when my system feels ready for them.  Gingerale is also helpful - and was helpful following my biopsy when my intestine was still a bit tender and not happy with anything substantial.  I think the key is to find whatever your body finds to be really, really easy to digest while still providing it with some nutrition.

JustCricket Newbie

During this last glutening, when I got bound up, I relied on juicing. I couldn't eat much, but I found the liquids to be hydrating, and, naturally, there were nutrients going in, so I think it may have helped with the amount that I was able to absorb. I'm still fatigued, but at least I'm not bound up, and the heartburn is very minor and occasional.

Before going gluten free, I would alternate between severe C and mild to not-so-mild D. I try to drink and eat whatever feels good on my tummy, eat slowly, and stop if I start to feel sick, and that is usually well before I feel full. 

Rice is okay, most of the time, but apples without skin and bananas are okay. If nothing else is wonderful, I will actually eat grits, and usually tolerate those well. I salt and pepper them (unless one or the other seems like it would do more harm than good) and make them a little more watery than normal. I think I tolerate corn better than rice.

I also will drink hot water, sometimes, with a squeeze of lemon. Even ice water with lemon works similarly. It actually seems to promote motility in me. I know others need the opposite, so I would avoid, depending on the case.

Karinpmp Newbie

Well, having more water than I'd normally do and white or green tea helps. But definitely, avoiding gluten for many days after getting glutened accidentally.

Archived