d33dee1988

Gluten Free Vacation In Spain

Rate this topic

Next summer, I'm going to Spain for vacation with my extended family. Has anyone else been to Spain while gluten free? How was it? Is there anything I should know (other than to bring translation/travel cards?) 

We spent 2 weeks traveling around Spain without any trouble. We didn't really need the translation cards as everyone knew what we were saying when we said, "Celiaca". The servers that didn't speak much English would just point to the things on the menus that we could have. Most servers spoke English, though. We even found a couple bakeries that had meringues that were gluten-free. Don't be shy about asking.

Spain is a wonderful country where peoples are becoming more and more aware of gluten sensitivities. For example it was precisely ia doctor in a small village of 400 inhabitants in Spain where it was suggested to me I might be celiac, after having been treated for nearly 20 years for ulcerative colitis in uk and no one ever thought of testing me even though I had so many symptoms. In general I would always make people in restaurants aware of your needs.

HI ! I am from the north of spain and you can find a lot of coeliacs products here. Where part of spain are you comming?

Don´t worry, you will spend a good time and without problems I am sure.

You have got a lot of restaurants, supermarkets.. etc.. and also on the internet yu will find lots of pages from the place you will go.

and more and more is being known the disease so the people are trying to make the life easier for us! ;)

Bye!

I've also just come back from Spain for Christmas and was really impressed that even in some service station shops I was able to find a limited range of gluten free rice cakes, biscuits, and basic bread!