This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Paraniod

nthei

nthei Apprentice

I'm a little overwhelmed, making myself confused. I'm 35 and as many of you may know I've just been diagnosed, now 7 days out I believe, but sometimes the more I read, the more confused and scared I get, but I know that is just how I am. My questions that are making me paranoid are

1. I have used regular flour, since I don't know when, and have stored it in containers, should I throw those away?

2. Should I throw out my toaster?

3. With the way gluten flies through the air, is my house contaminated, if so, what do I do to get ride of it, I've read it's hard to get ride of.

4. Does having no reaction or a low reaction to traces of gluten or accidental ingestion mean no damage?

Last night I drove myself crazy with worry about the above and believe it or not, stress in itself causes me to have a reaction! I don't have to eat anything! This morning I'm drained, but still worried.

Thank you!

Have a great day!

Christine

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

justmel74 Rookie

me too. I'm newly diagnosed too. I have tons of stoneware that I baked in with real wheat. Do I really have to worry about the cross-contamination of them? I mean, we're talkign hundreds of dollars down the toilet if I have to get rid of it. :( I'm soooooooo depressed! I dont seem to have serious ailments like some describe...just some nausia. I havent even had diarrhea since going gluten-free, and the nausea comes and goes like it did before I was diagnosed! I just dont know. Sigh. Separate toasters? You mean I can't just clean out the toaster and make my whole family eat gluten-free? I can understand throwing out my old baking rubbermaid containers...but I'm having trouble thinking about giving up my stoneware and very expensive pots and pans. Cooking/Baking has been my life and that is a good thing since being diagnosed, it wasn't a burden to think about cooking everything. BUT I bought the best of the best and I am not in a financial place to replace them. :(( God, I want to cry. How overboard do I have to get about cross-contamination? I mean, if it's working for me (and after 3 weeks, I'm feeling TONS better) does that mean I have to go crazy now? I didnt know about this "separate" dishes/toaster/ etc thing...what about eating out? I doubt they keep their kitchens spotless? I was all excited about Outback having a gluten-free menu...but I'm sure things are all cooked on the same surfaces...many of which are non-stick, I'm sure. I'm soooo confused.

Laura Apprentice

I think we just have to go by how sensitive we are individually. If you feel better already, that's a good sign that what you're doing is working. And if it's working, keep trying to improve on a good thing, but don't tear yourself up over it.

I forget the thread, but someone had really good advice about you need two of -- I remember it included things like colanders and spatulas that might trap particles of food or that are more absorbent. If your flour containers are glass or metal, they won't have absorbed anything I wouldn't think, so clean them very carefully.

Clean your stoneware extra carefully and designate it gluten-free for the future. Designate one slot or shelf in the toaster as gluten-free and make sure everyone sticks to it. If you see a toaster that you can buy cheap, get it and know you're extra safe, but my take, and this is just me, is that unless you're someone who's just so, so sensitive, you don't need to spend all your money on all new dishes immediately.

What I spent my money on for the first while after I was diagnosed was experimenting with gluten-free food. I knew I'd cheat if I couldn't have a cookie every now and then, so I went and tried all kinds of gluten-free packaged cookies, mixes, recipes, etc.

I'm sure someone else will have a different take on this than me, and I'm certainly not a doctor. But this seems to be working for me.

lauradawn Explorer

I think the point is that you always need to be cautious. Each individual may decide to do it a little different...but for my opinion. You do NOT need to throw your baking wear away. Make sure they are cleaned good and you should be fine. If you have things like a pasta machine or a bread machine, where there are parts that is not possible to get completely clean, you may decide to get a new one. In general that is not the case. The toaster is a true issue however. The crumbs form the gluten containing bread can get anywhere ina toaster. It would probably be better if you had a separate gluten-free toaster.

As far as the house.....I can not imagine going that far with cleaning up any contaimination. If you were in a flour mill for your job or something you may have to worry about what's in the air, but in your home....I just can not see that as an issue.

It's true we must be prudent about making sure everyhting is gluten-free as possible, but don't loose your sanity over it <_<

nthei Apprentice

Justmel74, I'm glad you are here!!!!!!!!!! I didn't mean to make you paranoid too. I'm sorry. I'm just paranoid myself. I'm also very thankful for the advice of Laura and Lauradawn. And I'm so with you justmel74, I have some wonderful stonewear and I just couldn't see wasting all that money that I spent in purchasing it. I'm single, so for right now, I'm lucky with not having to worry about anybody else at home, but now I get paranoid going out to eat. I was soooo glad to read about Outback, I was sooo looking forward to going, then I read the stuff I posted about in my first post and I'm going "oh my goosh" "I'm never gonna get this down" :( Then I want to break down. All I could think about was, "I can't go anywhere because who am I going to trust, I can't go back into the kitchens and make sure they follow my instructions to the letter". I know there is flour in the kitchen and I know I have to be careful, but man, just how careful. I can say that even in this short time and, I know I have accidentally ingested gluten, because I'm still learning, but I'm already feeling a difference. Had a couple episodes, but not as bad as normal and it wasn't constant, just an episode. I mostly bloat and well, I'm too embarrassed to say what else, but it was constant and the bloating would start below my chest down to my pelvis. I haven't had that since I've been trying gluten-free. Maybe a little bloating, but it would pass. I did have a bigger episode today, but I think it's because I had a cappucino from Speedway gas station/convenience store, the kind from the machine, and I think that may have something gluten in it. I read the ingrediants, all looked o.k., but it's that artificial coloring and artificial flavoring I'm not sure of, I have e-mailed the company, but no response, will stay away from that for now.

Laura and lauradawn, I must admit, that I am enjoying experimenting. It's like a new discovery. I was always into trying different cultural foods, so I'm trying to keep this gluten-free diet into that perspective and I actually have had some fun with it, trying new breads and foods. Arrowhead gluten/wheat free animal crackers are becoming a favorite I must say. I have been going to different places I have found locally and everyone has been so nice and helpful. But like I said, somethings I read just scare me and I start getting paranoid, it's a lot of things to learn and change for me. And it makes me depressed, espcially after I'm thinking, "hey I can do this", "I'm doing pretty good", "I can go out with my friends and have dinner sometimes".

And Justmel74, I think you are doing a great job!! You sound like you have it together, so please don't you worry. I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you paranoid too, but I'm glad I wasn't the only one with some worry, I guess worry loves company. If you ever need to vent, you know where to come! :)

But I will do it! I can do it!(some positive talk there)

God bless you all

without you I don't know what I would do

Christine

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Stonewear, such as those from the Pampered Chef, are very porous. There is a HUGE chance that you will be contaminating yourself if you continue to use them. I know that stinks!! But you have to think in terms of health and your body, instead of in dollars and cents.

Best wishes-Jessica

Archived