upwitht21

Is There Extra Medical Care I Should Receive?

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed 2 years ago (this week actually) and I recently read an article that someone with celiacs ahold receive more medical follow up (in a nut shell)

I haven't had any follow up since my blood test diagnosis (my son had a positive biopsy so I opted out being as I had a positive blood test and was super symptomatic), I'm wondering if there are things I should be following up on?

I am fairly confident my diet is on track, still struggling with finding soaps and things I can use without breaking out but other than that I feel okay.

Every year, you should be getting follow up blood work to make sure you aren't making antibodies.  I have to print this page I linked to off every year and show my doctor.  It can be done by your regular doctor  or your OB/GYN.  If it is high, you will want to re-evaluate your diet and cc.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/how-often-should-follow-up-testing-occur

Checking nutrient levels could be helpful: calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, B12,D, A, zinc, copper, ferritin are sometimes low.

Hypothyroidism is common in celiacs. TSH, TPO Ab, free T3 and free T4 can check that.

Liver, and adrenal function appears to be impacted in some celiacs. If you have symptoms you could get them checked too.

Retesting celiac tests can be helpful although it did't help me. DGP tests are the best for this but the tTG or EMA tests can help too.