mshanson3121

Do I Need To Replace Things? (Ie. Toaster, Baking Stones?)

Rate this topic

Some things, yes, but not everything. The driving question is whether the thing can be thoroughly cleaned to the point that you can trust it.

Toasters can not, but you can buy one for about ten dollars. Porous items like pizza stones, cast iron, wooden spoons and cutting blocks, and things that are scratched can retain and share gluten. Some things are reclaimable. Cast iron pans and your pizza stone may qualify. If you have a self-cleaning oven, put them in the oven and run it through the strongest clean cycle available. After they have cooled, re-season them with fresh, clean oil. The heat will destroy the gluten if it is sustained for at least 30 minutes at a minimum of 600 degrees Fahrenheit. Don't try this with wood or Teflon, they won't survive the heat.

yes - I replaced the toaster for my daughter. I also use those plastic cooking mats to prepare her food on so it doesn't touch other things from our food. You need your own package of things you dip back and forth into - like mayo, peanut butter, butter, nutella etc..and be sure to use different utensils for cooking gluten free foods.  

I replaced the toaster, wooden spoons and plastic cutting boards.  We now have a toaster with GLUTEN FREE GLUTEN FREE in bright blue niko across the top and front, I only ever do gluten free baking so have replaced the wooden spoons with new wooden spoons but have 2 large plastic ones for in case we do other baking, which we haven't for 3 years anyway.  The cutting boards are shell ones and can be thoroughly cleaned.

We have cleared a whole cupboard in the kitchen to store gluten free foods separately from non gluten-free together with a new toaster, plastic spoons for cooking, new chopping boards, etc