This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Intolerance Linked To Gmos

kenlove

kenlove Rising Star

FAIRFIELD, IowaNov. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Institute for Responsible Technology (IRT) released a Open Original Shared Link today proposing a link between genetically modified (GM) foods and gluten-related disorders. In today's report, a team of experts suggests that GM foods may be an important environmental trigger for gluten sensitivity, which is estimated to affect as many as 18 million Americans.

Citing U.S. Dept. of Agriculture data, Environmental Protection Act records, medical journal reviews, and international research, the authors relate genetically modified foods to five conditions that may either trigger or exacerbate gluten-related disorders, including the serious autoimmune disorder, Celiac Disease:

1. Intestinal permeability
  2. Imbalanced gut bacteria
  3. Immune activation and allergic response
  4. Impaired digestion
  5. Damage to the intestinal wall

Although wheat has been hybridized over the years, it is not a genetically modified organism (GMO), which can only be created by a laboratory process that inserts genetic material into plant DNA. There are nine GMO food crops currently being grown for commercial use: soy, corn, cotton (oil), canola (oil), sugar from sugar beets, zucchini, yellow squash, Hawaiian papaya, and alfalfa.

Most GMOs are engineered to tolerate a weed killer called glyphosate (Roundup®). They contain high levels of this toxin at harvest. Corn and cotton varieties are also engineered to produce an insecticide called Bt-toxin. The report focuses primarily on the effects of these two toxins.

Executive Director of the Institute for Responsible Technology, Jeffrey Smith, explains, "The Bt-toxin in corn is designed to puncture holes in insect cells, but studies show it does the same in human cells. Bt-toxin may be linked to leaky gut, which physicians consistently see in gluten-sensitive patients."

Stephanie Seneff, Senior Research Scientist at MIT, expresses concern about Roundup®: "Glyphosate is a patented antibiotic that destroys beneficial gut bacteria. An imbalance of gut flora commonly accompanies Celiac Disease and other gluten-related disorders."

Mary Waldner, founder of Mary's Gone Crackers®, a Non-GMO Project verified and Open Original Shared Link manufacturer, says, "I'm excited by the research that offers an explanation for the dramatic increase in gluten-related disorders. I encourage everyone to avoid GMOs in their diets. I have always been concerned about the effects of GMOs and Mary's Gone Crackers has never used GMO ingredients in our products."

Dr. Tom O'Bryan, internationally recognized expert on gluten sensitivity and Celiac Disease, says, "The introduction of GMOs is highly suspect as a candidate to explain the rapid rise in gluten-related disorders over the last 17 years." Internist, Emily LinderMD, says, "Based on my clinical experience, when I remove genetically modified foods as part of the treatment for gluten sensitivity, recovery is faster and more complete. I believe that GMOs in our diet contribute to the rise in gluten sensitivity in the U.S. population."

The best way to avoid GMOs is to purchase certified organic or Non-GMO Project verified products. Download a shopping guide at Open Original Shared Link or a free iPhone app, ShopNoGMO.

The markets for both gluten-free products and non-GMO products are expanding. Gluten-free sales are expected to exceed $5 billion by 2015 and Non-GMO Project Verified sales went from $0 to over $3.5 billion in the last three years. Just as Mary's Gone Crackers® did in 2011, the conclusions in this report may inspire more gluten-free food manufacturers to pursue Non-GMO Project Verified status. 

For a full report see Open Original Shared Link.

About the Institute for Responsible Technology
The Institute for Responsible Technology is a world leader in educating policy makers and the public about genetically modified foods and crops. The Institute investigates and reports on the impact GM foods have on health, environment, economy, and agriculture, as well as the problems associated with current research, regulation, corporate practices, and reporting.

About Mary's Gone Crackers®
Founded in 2004, by Mary Waldner and Dale Rodrigues, Mary's Gone Crackers® manufactures delicious gourmet, organic, gluten free, non-GMO, and vegan foods including crackers, pretzels and cookies. Mary's Gone Crackers always uses certified organic, kosher, whole-food ingredients free of gluten, eggs, nuts and dairy. Mary's Gone Crackers are available in natural and grocery stores nationwide. For more information, please visit Open Original Shared Link.

SOURCE Institute for Responsible Technology; Mary’s Gone Crackers

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

I don't quite understand.  Since wheat, barley and rye are not GMO's what is the connection in this study saying that GMO gluten triggers or exacerbates Celiac Disease? 

Colleen

IrishHeart Veteran

Should read as "SELF PROCLAIMED" Internationally recognized expert on gluten sensitivity. I would hardly call him an expert on Celiac Disease. 

Dr. Tom O'Bryan, internationally recognized expert on gluten sensitivity and Celiac Disease, says, "The introduction of GMOs is highly suspect as a candidate to explain the rapid rise in gluten-related disorders over the last 17 years." 

******Let us consider this recent article as well.

Open Original Shared Link

"Donald D. Kasarda, the U.S. Department of Agriculture scientist who authored the 2013 study on 1920s wheat, says it's possible that increased consumption of wheat in recent years — rather than increased gluten in the wheat actually consumed — might be in part to blame for increased incidence of celiac disease. He also says the use of wheat gluten as an ingredient in processed foods might contribute.

However, no one really knows why celiac disease (and possibly gluten sensitivity) might be affecting more people. There's one thing that's certain, though: genetically modified wheat can't be to blame."

kareng Grand Master

Should read as "SELF PROCLAIMED" Internationally recognized expert on gluten sensitivity. I would hardly call him

and expert on Celiac Disease.

Dr. Tom O'Bryan, internationally recognized expert on gluten sensitivity and Celiac Disease, says, "The introduction of GMOs is highly suspect as a candidate to explain the rapid rise in gluten-related disorders over the last 17 years."

Let us consider this recent article as well.

"Donald D. Kasarda, the U.S. Department of Agriculture scientist who authored the 2013 study on 1920s wheat, says it's possible that increased consumption of wheat in recent years — rather than increased gluten in the wheat actually consumed — might be in part to blame for increased incidence of celiac disease. He also says the use of wheat gluten as an ingredient in processed foods might contribute.

However, no one really knows why celiac disease (and possibly gluten sensitivity) might be affecting more people. There's one thing that's certain, though: genetically modified wheat can't be to blame."

So true. What theya re saying is that - Some baked goods have more gluten because they are adding additional " wheat gluten" to the recipe. It isn't that the wheat has more gluten, it's that they are using more in some baked goods.
GF Lover Rising Star

I still don't understand how this study links Celiac Disease/Intolerance to wheat, barley and rye gmo's when they were not even a part of this study.  Gluten, in its classic sense is what causes Celiac Disease.  Not gluten in corn, soy etc.   I can only conclude that this study is completely misleading and only promotes Tom O'Bryan's agenda.  Am I wrong here guys?

Colleen

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I am not a GMO defender.  I have problems with large amounts of herbicides used in conjunction with some GMO crops.  Nonetheless, I  have heard many interviews with top scientists who say that there is no good evidence for theories about harm of GMOs.   They say that the reports that are often quoted have been debunked and/or are of poor quality without adequate controls etc..  I agree with some of the comments above.  Self proclaimed experts are not necessarily actual experts.  We need to vet information carefully, especially internet information.

jebby Enthusiast

Agree with all of the above. I am personally not a fan of GMOs but there is absolutely no scientific evidence that GMOs cause celiac disease. At this point it is all speculation. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frieze Community Regular

I still don't understand how this study links Celiac Disease/Intolerance to wheat, barley and rye gmo's when they were not even a part of this study.  Gluten, in its classic sense is what causes Celiac Disease.  Not gluten in corn, soy etc.   I can only conclude that this study is completely misleading and only promotes Tom O'Bryan's agenda.  Am I wrong here guys?

Colleen

I think the point is that they cause/allege to cause intestinal inflammation/permeability.  notice they said gluten intolerance not celiac.

Remember Gary Marshall.....

IrishHeart Veteran

I saw an article today that says the CDF and a plant geneticist challenged this latest claim about the GMOs and celiac and NCGS link

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Thank you for posting that Irish.  It's a good article.

It says that the original report relied on a handful of deeply flawed studies and ignored more than 1,000 quality peer reviewed studies.

Archived