Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Threebrainedbeing

Cocktails Anyone?

So I've stopped drinking beer altogether. Not that I'm a big drinker or anything, but I do like to have a cocktail when I go out. My favorites are vodka, sake, red wine occasionally. But a friend has said recently that a lot of vodka is made with wheat. Is she right? I've never had a reaction with vodka, but I sure have with beer.

i drink vodka and thank god its safe i dont know what i would have done. this is so hard to do .

So I've stopped drinking beer altogether. Not that I'm a big drinker or anything, but I do like to have a cocktail when I go out. My favorites are vodka, sake, red wine occasionally. But a friend has said recently that a lot of vodka is made with wheat. Is she right? I've never had a reaction with vodka, but I sure have with beer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i drink vodka and thank god its safe i dont know what i would have done. this is so hard to do .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I've stopped drinking beer altogether.  Not that I'm a big drinker or anything, but I do like to have a cocktail when I go out.  My favorites are vodka, sake, red wine occasionally.  But a friend has said recently that a lot of vodka is made with wheat.  Is she right?  I've never had a reaction with vodka, but I sure have with beer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most vodka is grain based but the gluten is removed during the distallation process. Thank God I can still have vodka, rum, tequila, brandy, cognac. I've always been allergic to beer - probably the hops, so that part of the diet wasn't a problem. But I used to drink those malt based beer replacements (smirnoffs and bicardi things) but came to find out that those are definately on the no list. But I've found a wine at WalMart's that's a real nice replacement when I want something light and slightly fizzy.

I feel like such a wino saying this...

:P

...but thank God alcohol is gluten-free! I don't eat bread, pastries and pasta much anymore (unless, of course, it's gluten-free) but I definitely load the calories on via drinking. I only drink a few times a week, but sometimes it's really the only little vice I can enjoy. :blink::D

one of my favorites gluten-free alcoholic bevs is Strongbow's hard cider...really good. rum and coke is another option, gin and tonic... when i went to wild oats on sunday there was a sign up that sad 'we are out of Barb's Tail beer' that made me laugh. the person who wrote the sign is definitely NOT a celiac!

There is a little bit of a debate about the whole distilled grains thing as to whether or not they are safe. Some people say yes others say no; I think you realy have to figure out what's right for your body. I know I feel like I got hit by a truck if I take a sip of something derived from grains, so I stick to my martinis (sometimes a good dirty martini is better than whiskey anyway and you get toughness points). There is a list of some safe liquors on this websiteCeliac Safe alcohols list Since I don't trust my abilities with technology, I'll also tell you that if you go up to the main menu on the left side of the screen and click on site index, then scroll down and find the safe/forbidden lists and click on that, you'll find a pretty lengthy list.

Now that everyone's minds are on cocktails, CHEERS!! :D

Heather

one of my favorites gluten-free alcoholic bevs is Strongbow's hard cider...really good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do agree Strongbow is a good beverage!!!!

I just have started the gluten-free diet, and man I am happy to hear that Strongbow is gluten-free...YAY!

Man I love Strongbow too!!!!!!

Is WoodChuck also gluten-free??

The lists I have seen list woodchuck as okay and hornsby's as not. However, I will say when I e-mailed woodchuck their answer was a bit shady, but it may have been a CYA. I actually love Strongbow the most--and I have to admit, I love those tall cans too :)

The lists I have seen list woodchuck as okay and hornsby's as not.  However, I will say when I e-mailed woodchuck their answer was a bit shady, but it may have been a CYA.  I actually love Strongbow the most--and I have to admit, I love those tall cans too :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what is woodchuck