eers03

First Gluten, Now Lactose (Noooo!)

Rate this topic

I started out by cutting gluten.  My follow up labs show that I have done a great job of staying compliant with my gluten-free diet.  My other marker shows that my immune system/tissues are still reacting.  I'm absent IGA so it could take longer for these numbers to decrease.  

I have noticed on my own that when I eat ice cream (evening habit), and drink milk (love it) or make my pizzas (extra cheese please), I get G-A-S-S-A-Y.  

I've gone (mostly) lactose free and have noticed major improvement in the aforementioned.  I think its safe to say, I need to stick with the lactose free wagon.

Additionally, I've seen improvement in a urinary symptom as well, more bubbles than the norm.  Thats been going on for a few years, recently, it has cleared up.  Huh?  Whatever, works for me.

Anyhow, if you have gone gluten-free and are still having a few issues you can't shake, try eliminating lactose.  I didn't want to believe it but its helped.

This is a really common issue with a lot of celiacs. I recall my time in college when I worked in a coffee shop. I would often drink coffee drinks made with milk, topped with whipped cream. EEK. Gassy. Yes. It was not pleasant! The good news for you is that once your gut has healed, you will very likely be able to enjoy dairy products again in the future.  :)

Thanks for sharing!  I've heard people mention that lactose and gluten can be concomitant issues but I've not heard someone mention that I may eventually be able to have lactose again.  Good to have something to look forward to!

The tips of the villi are where lactose is dealt with. It takes time for them to heal & grow back. When that happens, there's a good chance you will get dairy back again.

Yup I am living proof of that!! It took a bout 3 months and I slowly introduced Lactose into my diet and It worked!! Good luck!! Hope you get it back!! 

I'm still kind of confused about casein intolerance. I cut out dairy and casein because I was having some weird rashes/head spaciness issues that I now know were linked to dairy consumption. A forum member told me that for some people, casein is like gluten, and once you are intolerant, it may always be that way, but then it's also possible that the intolerance could pass. Is there any scientific info on this stuff, do you guys know? Sorry, I hope I'm not hijacking the thread! 

I've got trouble with casein too, so I avoid all dairy. A tiny bit doesn't do much, and it is the lesser of my woes, but it's insta-headache, some stomach troubles, and messes with my sinuses. Not fun.

Some people do eventually reintroduce things their intolerant to, but I think it really depends on the person. I can't have soy either, and don't expect to ever get that back. 

If it's just lactose you have problems with, though, then it is more likely that you'll be able to reintroduce it eventually.

Glad you're feeling better without it!

Hi,

Casein is a protein in cow dairy.  Eggs don't have it, or meats.  It is unlikely for a casein reaction to stop being a problem.  It may be possible to tolerate it in small amounts, but it is not something you should eat regularly if you are having a reaction to it IMHO.

Daiya makes a dairy free cheese sub that is ok.

Hi,

Casein is a protein in cow dairy.  Eggs don't have it, or meats.  It is unlikely for a casein reaction to stop being a problem.  It may be possible to tolerate it in small amounts, but it is not something you should eat regularly if you are having a reaction to it IMHO.

Daiya makes a dairy free cheese sub that is ok.

I don't know about the Daiya cheese... That stuff is GROSS! Nothing compares to a good sharp cheddar.

I have to agree with you there Jamie! I tried that Daiya stuff & it's gross IMO.

That is a great question.  I have wondered about casein as well but eggs and meat do not seem to cause the same reaction that milk and ice cream or large amounts of cheese do for me.  Don't know.

I tolerate real cultured cheese and Greek yogurt well, however milk and Ice cream  are an issue. Additionally, soy was a bigger issue than lactose for myself.