This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Palm Pilots

Lisa

Lisa Mentor

Hey Guys:

I have read that many of you have palm pilots to aid you in your selections at the grocery store. I am rather technically inept and would be not sure how to work it. ...but I guess I can figure it out.

How useful has it been to you? I'm getting the hand of shopping, buy using the lists that I am sure of when I buy.

Would you feel that it would be useful?

Thanks for any imput.

Lisa B

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Hi Lisa,

I just bought a PDA and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I'm really excited about what things I'm going to be able to do with it, not just for celiac disease. I plan on downloading free, gluten-free lists and then purchasing the Clan Thompson for my PDA as well.

I purchase a lot of my foods from Health Food Stores. However, when we travel I have to mostly shop at regular grocery stores. I think this will help take some stress off when going to OBX to visit. :)

I also have the Silly Yaks Resturant List which I plan to put on my PDA as well.

Lisa Mentor
Hi Lisa,

I just bought a PDA and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I'm really excited about what things I'm going to be able to do with it, not just for celiac disease. I plan on downloading  free, gluten-free lists and then purchasing the Clan Thompson for my PDA as well.

I purchase a lot of my foods from Health Food Stores. However, when we travel I have to mostly shop at regular grocery stores. I think this will help take some stress off when going to OBX to visit.  :)

I also have the Silly Yaks Resturant List which I plan to put on my PDA as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. I will just put on gluten stuff to reference. When you go to OBX there is a great natural food store there, next to the Outer Banks Bread Company. Great place for lunch, but have not since gluten-free. I think it is around the 6mile post. Right side going south.

You comming any time soon? We tend to a place at the 1 1/2 milepost across the street from the beach. Expecting a Nor'easter there Monday and Tuesday from Wilma.

Is it hard to down load information onto your pilot, or is is self-explainitory?

debmidge Rising Star

Lisa,

Which town are you in? I have cousins in Kill Devil Hills and my family vacations OBX every Labor Day weekend. I was down there with them in 1996 and 1997 and there was a hurricane. We were staying in house on beach in Duck. Loved it there immensely...would like to move there eventuallly.

Debbie

Wandering Hermit Contributor

It helped me initially but eventually I learned what I could and could not have and rarely used it.

Lisa Mentor
Lisa,

Which town are you in?  I have cousins in Kill Devil Hills and my family vacations  OBX  every Labor Day weekend.  I was down there  with them in 1996 and 1997 and there was a hurricane.  We were staying in house on beach in Duck.  Loved it there immensely...would like to move there eventuallly. 

Debbie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Debbie:

To make a long story short. We live in Edenton, NC about an hour and fifteen minutes from the northern shore of the outer banks.

When we moved to Edenton, about 30 years ago, we shared a drive way with Hazel and Logan. Logan died, a few years later Hazel's son died with cancer in his late 30's, and a few years later her son Raleigh, was found in the Currituck Sound.

We have been with her for all the three significant men in her life die tragically.

We are close because Jim, nor I have parents. Our children have never know a grandmother or grandfather. ...So preceeding these tragic deaths, we have taken up with "Hazel". She is my oldest daughters godmother.

So that is why we are at the beach often. Hazel has a beach house at the 1 1/2 mile post and since she is in her 80's we take her there and take care of the house. It is time to wash off the screens and take them in for the season. But it is always nice to have Thanksgiving Dinner there. She's the boss and what she say goes. 80 year's and such......

We are at Kitty Hawk, near Southern Shores, where you would turn off going to Duck. Twenty years ago, no one knew where Duck was, Now it is mega, billion homes. Fore sight, sucks. It seems like missed opportunities wherever we go.

Well, when ever you get there let me know. It would be nice to see people that we have talked to forever to meet in person.

I don't thing that we are all creapy internet folks... Let me know when you get to this area. And, do this check Edenton, NC on the web. It's a really cool place. It truely is a living Museum with our historic homes and walking tours.

Okay, to make a long storey short, I have exceeded my time.

Come visit us Debbie

When and If E-mail me.

Lisa B.

Lisa Mentor

Sorry, but got side tracked by the smell of the beach (OXB).

I did get one response that after you get used to the diet, you know what you know what you are looking for.

Would the palm pilot be work the expence or would more knowledge take you farther in your expanded world of being gluten free. In other words, would it be prudent for my husband to by one for my upcomming birthday and how much would I use it.??? If I don't, he won't be a happy camper.

My thoughts, are not buy, until I know what and where I need to be. Maybe too early to be buying things...........and I don't know where I am going. Gluten Free for sure, but busy with the diet now, and gagets, maybe can wait.

What'cha think?????

Jen, what do you think?:)

Lisa B.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star

which is better, the CSA's handbook publication or the Clan Thompson?

Lisa: Ok, let you know if/when I can get to go again...My parents have been vacationing down there 20 years plus ago and was thinking of buying property then, but didn't. It's full of enormus beautiful homes. My uncle & aunt will retire down there (we're in NJ) as it's their sons who are down there. My father wanted to retire there too, but he passed away 12 yrs ago and never got his chance (he was 56 yrs old).

jenvan Collaborator

I have Clan Thompson software on my treo and love it. Who's going to take a binder to the store with them? And often times I just need to ck on a few things. It comes in very handy when I am getting something that isn't a regular purchase, and it brings piece of mind just to be sure on some products. It is also updated several times a year. I do recommend it for sure :)

Guest Viola

I don't have one but a friend carries hers with her shopping all the time. She seems to be very happy with it as it carries all her lists. I think I would find someone who has one and has used it for at least a year and see how they like it after a year. Maybe even get them to show you how it works and see if it might be useful to you.

AN616 Rookie

Does anyone happen to know how you would put the silly yak's gluten free restaraunt list into your palm pilot? I just got one and am having problems figuring it out. Is it possible to put it on a palm?

Thanks!

jenvan Collaborator

I'm not sure how your palm would work (what do you have?)...but in my treo, I have a 'cocuments to go' program where I can transfer word docs from my pc to my palm. Then I gave view them, and make changes etc, like in a "mini" word program. The one potential issue is that the file size could be huge for the silly yaks...not sure. If it was, you could try and keep it on a memory card...that was you could take it out and use another memory card if you needed more palm space...

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

I just got my Palm and I had a problem as well. I tried to use Adobe to copy and move the list but my Palm wouldn't recognized it as a complete PDF file.

I had to save the Rest. List as a text file. I put the file in My Documents and then I drug the file to Documents to Go. Once it was in Documents to Go I was able to sync the file with my PDA.

I'm going to send you the text file and you can try it. :)

Archived