Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

come dance with me

Christmas Food - How Far Ahead Of Time?

How far ahead of time do you make things like Christmas shortbread, cake and muffins?  They are all vegan.  We'll be away and I want everything ready to go, not have to waste time cooking when we're in a holiday apartment.

How far ahead of time do you make things like Christmas shortbread, cake and muffins?  They are all vegan.  We'll be away and I want everything ready to go, not have to waste time cooking when we're in a holiday apartment.

Can you freeze them? I'd imagine for things like cookies, the dough would freeze well.

I do not know a lot about this, however. Perhaps someone will chime in?

A lot of baked goods are okay when frozen and re-thawed.  Just freeze things individually and then dump cookies/muffins in a ziploc, cakes and breads wrap in plastic wrap.  Anything iced I would leave the icing off if you can, if you cant, then freeze it really well before wrapping or stacking.  Here is a good overview I found:

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/cooking-tips/chartsguides/freezing-baked-goods.aspx

I like to freeze cookies and brownies individually, then put them in baggies or plastic wrap so I can take them out one at a time.  They never do last long, though, even in the freezer :D

Thanks for that!  My daughter has a couple of parties on at school this week so I'll do all the cooking at once then stick the shortbread and cakes in bags in the freezer, can ice the day before, that'll be no problem.