Rate this topic

I thought I would post this, perhaps others may find it helpful.

I have been strictly gluten free for 8 weeks now.  Muscle and joint pain was one of my predominent symptoms (along with all the assorted GI symptoms).  I had muscle and joint pain for over 2 years, sometimes so bad that I had trouble walking or walked with a limp.  Also had frequent tendonitis in various areas.  I also torn several muscles when I would try to work out likely due to nutritional deficiencies. 

I am happy to report that 8 weeks after going gluten free, my muscles and joints feel better than they have in 2 years and I am no longer in pain all the time.  I thought I would share somethings that worked for me and perhaps it may help others.

1)  I have a great sports chiropractor who specializes in treating soft tissues - those are your muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc.  Look for a chiropractor who has training in active release technique, trasverse friction massage, myofascial release and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (it's a special kind of stretching).  Although I had been going to this chiropractor for 2 years, the treatments only provided temporary relief until I went gluten free and now things are getting WAY better.

2)  Have a plan for exercise or training - I got a fitbit to track my steps and at first I struggled to even walk 3,000 steps a day.  Once I went gluten free, for the first 5 weeks, I only had 1 of 7 days that my steps were over 5,000, week 6 - 2 days over 5,000; week 7 - 4 days over 5,000; week 8 - 6 days over 5,000.  Next week I am increasing my goal to 6,000 a day.  I also got a personal trainer and started weight training and strengthening at the gym 1 day a week.

3)  I watch my protein intake and make sure I am getting enough protein everyday. 

4)  Multivitamins, vitamin D, calcium and magnesium

Most of my celiac symptoms were gone within 2 - 4 weeks of being gluten free however I didn't know if I would ever get rid of the muscle and joint pain.  I am here to tell you that there is hope.  At least for me, it seemed to take alot longer to deal with the muscle and joint pain than anything else

Thanks so much for sharing this with us- I greatly appreciate it as one of my most unpleasant symptoms is actually this one -? Horrendous muscle and joint pain where I not only very often cannot walk properly, but also I often cannot even sit!! And don't know what to do with my legs for the pain.... I have now been gluten free for a week and I already feel some improvement.. It is encouraging that it will get better...

Ja, ja a friend if mine just came round with a gluten free raspberry pavlova for afternoon tea to celebrate!!

Thanks so much for sharing this with us- I greatly appreciate it as one of my most unpleasant symptoms is actually this one -? Horrendous muscle and joint pain where I not only very often cannot walk properly, but also I often cannot even sit!! And don't know what to do with my legs for the pain.... I have now been gluten free for a week and I already feel some improvement.. It is encouraging that it will get better...

I started taking extra magnesium and B-12 (based on input here on this forum) and it's helped my achy/tingling legs.  Unfortunately, my docs are not supplement savvy which is a shame.  I think supplements when first diagnosed will speed up healing.  

Good luck!