This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Bleeding A Thing?

BrennanaBread

BrennanaBread Rookie

So this is gross, but when I lived in Massachusetts, where it gets very cold, I would get torrential nosebleeds that refused to stop or properly clot. Like...soaked 4 dish towels and at one point an entire roll of paper towels. Like two people have been so scared they called 911. Blood faucet on my face.

Is this a thing? I live in Florida now and I don't get them from the cold, but the few times I have gotten them here, same deal.

Thank you for reading.

-B

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

Hi BrennanaBread and Welcome.

I don't get anything as severe as yours but I do get the majority of them in the Winter.  I'm assuming you have been checked out and have ruled out anything serious?  

As I say to my Hubs when I can't do anything about something....Good Luck With That !  :D

Colleen

nvsmom Community Regular

I don't know either but I wouldn't be surprised. I used to get bad nosebleeds as a child - I remember a six hour one on Christmas once. Bleach! After that I had my nose cauterizd and that helped.

My 11 year old used to get nosebleeds a few times a week, especially in the winter, but since going gluten-free it has improved.... Could be a coincidence though.

Thrombocytopenia is related to celiac disease and can lead to nose bleeds, and it is related to celiac disease. it means your body is attacking your platelets so you aren't clotting. This could also include easy bruising, bleeding gums, petechia, anemia, and very heavy periods. It is not very common though and if you don't ave other symptoms, I wouldn't worry.

I believe, and I am not sure of this, that low potassium can lead to bleeding too.

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

Welcome!

I didn't get nose bleeds, but I would end up with these random bruises, so when I got my vit/min levels tested, I expected to be anemic.  It turns out I wasn't anemic and instead was Vitamin K deficient.  Vit K deficiency can cause nose bleeds.  check out this link:

Open Original Shared Link

So this is gross, but when I lived in Massachusetts, where it gets very cold, I would get torrential nosebleeds that refused to stop or properly clot. Like...soaked 4 dish towels and at one point an entire roll of paper towels. Like two people have been so scared they called 911. Blood faucet on my face.

Is this a thing? I live in Florida now and I don't get them from the cold, but the few times I have gotten them here, same deal.

Thank you for reading.

-B

shadowicewolf Proficient

Thank you for reading.

-B

Have you went to an ENT (ears, nose, and throat doctor)? What happens with nose bleeds is that you have very small veins in your nose and sometimes those veins come too close to the surface. When that happens, you can have very bad nose bleeds that are caused by the smallest things (such as cold, dry air or even just dry air).

If that is the case, it can be fixed.

Of course, there are other causes. Just thought i'd point out one factor.

BrennanaBread Rookie

Have you went to an ENT (ears, nose, and throat doctor)? What happens with nose bleeds is that you have very small veins in your nose and sometimes those veins come too close to the surface. When that happens, you can have very bad nose bleeds that are caused by the smallest things (such as cold, dry air or even just dry air).

If that is the case, it can be fixed.

Of course, there are other causes. Just thought i'd point out one factor.

Yes, I went to an ENT up north and he refused to cauterize my nose and instead told me to put Bacitracin in my nose every day. I asked him if I could use Aquaphor (since I have a full container because that's what I heal tattoos with) and he said no, because "it's water based". It's petroleum based. Nimrod. My hematologist heard what he'd said and told me "Well, we'll find you someone....smarter."

I've also seen said hematologist because my mother has an autoimmune disease called aplastic anemia which causes her to bleed uncontrollably when she's injured or has a nosebleed. I was tested for a bunch of blood related diseases, and came up negative for everything. It's good to know that celiac disease can cause issues with that. Thank you for your input!

IrishHeart Veteran

actually, I do recall reading that nosebleeds are an associated condition with celiac.

"CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM PROBLEMS

Disorders of the heart and blood vessels.

• Angina Pectoris
  • Aortic Vasculitis
  • Atherosclerosis
  • Cardiomegaly
  • Coronary Artery Disease
  • Easy Bruising (Ecchymosis)
  • Hypertension
  • Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy
  • Nosebleeds, Unexplained"
found here:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I very occasionally get a pretty bad nosebleed - maybe 3 or 4 of them in the last 15 years (that kind of "occasional") - and they've always been attributed to dry, cold, weather - and one was because I took Sudafed for a cold and I guess it worked a little too well at drying out my sinuses.

Anyhow... I just wanted to add that my most recent nosebleed was just a month or so ago - and the darned thing wouldn't stop.  Not as bad as what you described, but for me... this one was bad.  I remembered something that I saw on Sex-in-the-City and actually grabbed a slender tampon and put it in my nose (what can I say?  I was getting desparate!!) - it worked wonders!  the bleeding stopped pretty much immediately.  No kidding.

Just an idea... to save the dish towels... ;)

BrennanaBread Rookie

Hahaha! I have photos of me with Super tampons stuffed up both nostrils, actually. They filled up fast and got too big for my nose. I also used one when I pierced my own nose as a teenager to catch the needle. Those things are darn useful.

If you have another one that won't stop, what works for me (taught by a paramedic) is ice. Get an icepack or a bag of frozen veggies (I use those for my god awful migraines, too) and hold it to the side that's bleeding. It works like a charm.

I very occasionally get a pretty bad nosebleed - maybe 3 or 4 of them in the last 15 years (that kind of "occasional") - and they've always been attributed to dry, cold, weather - and one was because I took Sudafed for a cold and I guess it worked a little too well at drying out my sinuses.

Anyhow... I just wanted to add that my most recent nosebleed was just a month or so ago - and the darned thing wouldn't stop.  Not as bad as what you described, but for me... this one was bad.  I remembered something that I saw on Sex-in-the-City and actually grabbed a slender tampon and put it in my nose (what can I say?  I was getting desparate!!) - it worked wonders!  the bleeding stopped pretty much immediately.  No kidding.

Just an idea... to save the dish towels... ;)

GretaJane Newbie

Vitamin K deficiency causes nosebleeds because its needed for clotting. Take a supplement and eat your dark leafy greens!

Hahaha! I have photos of me with Super tampons stuffed up both nostrils, actually. They filled up fast and got too big for my nose. I also used one when I pierced my own nose as a teenager to catch the needle. Those things are darn useful.

If you have another one that won't stop, what works for me (taught by a paramedic) is ice. Get an icepack or a bag of frozen veggies (I use those for my god awful migraines, too) and hold it to the side that's bleeding. It works like a charm.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has done this!  :ph34r:

BrennanaBread Rookie

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has done this!  :ph34r:

My tenth grade English teacher proudly told us of a horrible nosebleed she had as a preteen and going to the hospital and having a tampon pulled up through her throat and into her nasal passage. You're SO not the only one! If it fits and it's absorbent and sterile, it's been used!

Those things are darn useful.

I don't know if this is really true or just another urban legend that got propagated via the Internet, but someone claiming to be the mother of a soldier overseas said that they have been used to plug wounds on the battlefield in an emergency when that was all that was within reach.  :o

Archived