Rate this topic

Does anyone have any experience finding quality gluten-free matzoh? Everything I could possibly worry about is popping into my head, being a newbie Celiac, and one thing is that this spring will be my first Passover sans gluten. Has anyone had good luck with that in the past, and can give me ideas for the future so I can stop worrying about that one miniscule thing, and proceed to worrying about the thirty other things?

Thank you!

-B

You're in luck - Yehuda Matzah is really, really, (really) good.  My kids prefer it, and they don't have celiac.  However, I believe it's not sacramental.  So you may want to get one of the other brands for the seder itself, and the one we tried last year was really, really, really bad.  But you only need a little bit of it.  Don't remember the brand.  You'll start seeing lots of ads pop up closer to Passover. 

I've seen a few recipes around the internet (you can google recipes) and I've wanted to try them but I haven't. I so miss matzoh... for the times when there's lots leftover (I used to buy 5 one-pound boxes when the kids were smaller) for one of my fave treats... matzoh spread with cold butter!! I've not yet had any of the Yehuda as it's about $10/one-pound box!

I've seen a few recipes around the internet (you can google recipes) and I've wanted to try them but I haven't. I so miss matzoh... for the times when there's lots leftover (I used to buy 5 one-pound boxes when the kids were smaller) for one of my fave treats... matzoh spread with cold butter!! I've not yet had any of the Yehuda as it's about $10/one-pound box!

The six year old girl I work with LOVES Passover because she gets matzoh with butter for weeks! Her mom buys a ton of it and the kids snack on it all the time, especially Sadie. I thought she was just making it her own, I didn't know other people did it too!

I tried Matzoh balls right before I had to go gluten free after my diagnosis (my Boyfriend is Jewish) and I found an amazing recipe in Gluten-Free on a Shoestring for quinoa flake matzoh balls. I call them my Faux Matzoh. :D They aren't an exact taste match but I think they are pretty awesome. I've been considering grinding the quinoa flakes to make a finer ball but that's a lot of extra work for a recipe which is essentially is throw some stuff together in a bowl, put it in the fridge, ball it up and boil it. My Mom and I make huge batches and freeze the rest. 

My Mom just found me a cookbook with a gluten-free Sufganiyot recipe in it which I must make this holiday. I make them with the traditional jam but also... nutella. So good. He didn't know what they were just that these amazing tasty doughnuts magically appeared everywhere suddenly so I researched them and made them homemade for him. He's er... secular, save for the occasional family event.