luvs2eat

Can We Talk French Bread?

Rate this topic

I miss it more than any other gluten food. I've tried mixes that were kind of yucky and recipes that just don't measure up.

The best I've had are the Udi's baguettes, but they don't sell them where I live and to order them online comes out to about $5 per pretty SHORT loaf.

Has anyone made a really good one? I use Better Batter flour rather than the many small bags of mix-your-own flours, but I'll try anything if someone has a recipe that really works.

It's just all I can think about lately!!

Here is a great recipe to try.  I have made this several times now and it's great!  I even brought it to Thanksgiving dinner and my family loved it even though they are not gluten free. 

http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.com/2009/05/french-baguettes-gluten-free/

Enjoy and let us know what you think

Here is a great recipe to try.  I have made this several times now and it's great!  I even brought it to Thanksgiving dinner and my family loved it even though they are not gluten free. 

http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.com/2009/05/french-baguettes-gluten-free/

Enjoy and let us know what you think

This recipe is quite good but just do not expect the texture and chew of a good baguette! That is sadly impossible without gluten. I like to add herbs and Parmesan to this recipe.

Thanks!! I'll try the recipe tomorrow and let you know how it comes out!

Just don't call it French bread or baguette and it will be ok! :-) At least it will be the right shape...

You're right, love2travel. It's good, but it's not French bread or a baguette. It'll be better toasted!

Yes, definitely better toasted. It is not even remotely similar to the real thing but that is how it is with gluten free bread. I will never, ever forget gluten breads. Did I already mention Simona's Challah bread recipe here? I am a picky and very experienced baker and hers is the best I have tried. Better texture, you can form it with your hands, great thick brown crust...

I'll give it a try. One of my fave gluten breads to make were beautiful challahs. My 3 daughters grew up kneading the dough (no machines). Now we're all celiacs. There's a gluten-free bakery in Portland, Oregon called New Cascadia that makes the best challah I've ever had. It had the perfect "bite" if you can appreciate that term. I have literally BEGGED them to share the recipe with me... I won't make them to sell... I just want to make them for ME!! So far... no luck.

I think it comes down to flour blend and technique. I made some using Jules' flour and it was by far the best.

That said - it will never be gluteny French bread. I just don't try, don't worry about it. I prefer to eat/bake other breads that are different so I don't try to compare.

I have a strange attachment to Chebe rolls.