This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Joint Pain Be A Sign Of Celiac In 8 Year Old?

3bears2

3bears2 Explorer

I have celiac, but my dd has always had funny bone and joint pain. Could it be a celiac symptom or a coincidence? It just seems odd sometimes. What do you think. She has no other symptoms, gi that is. She has always been hyperactive. It has gotten better over the years. She is not gluten-free as of now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lisalamitie Newbie

I believe almost any symptom can be part of Celiacs. We live on Long Island where joint pain is almost always a symptom of Lymes disease. It first and mostly effects the knees, then the ankles. My Son has Lymes. My husband recently has joint pain in the ankle and it was cellulitis from a spider bite or psoriasis infection and caused tendonitis in the ankle. Chronis join tpain can also be Rhumetoid Arthritis (hopefully not though) Just some other ideas for you. Keep your eye on it and check with the doctor if it doesn't go away.

good luck

massagemamaof3 Rookie

My 11yo has what she calls "wobbly legs" its really neuropathy. She also has complained about her knees hurting. She has just been diagnosed so I am now looking back to all the things she complained about and realizing that they are all symptoms! 

WinterSong Community Regular

I know someone whose only symptom is joint pain. No gastrointestinal issues.

Everyone experiences Celiac symptoms differently, so yes it could be a symptom. 

greenbeanie Enthusiast

My daughter had leg pain  starting before she could even talk. It was so bad once when she was about 1 1/2 that we took her to the urgent care center, wondering if she could have broken her leg (despite no apparent fall or injury). It hurt so much that she screamed and her legs buckled when we tried to get her to stand up, but she couldn't talk so it was hard to tell what was wrong. They did x-rays, which were normal, and sent us home with a diagnosis of toxic synovitis. They said she was probably prone to it and might get it again whenever she had even a minor virus. The diagnosis was not based on any particular test results - it was just the conclusion the doctor reached after ruling out other causes.

Well, over the next few years she did seem to have it again and again, even when she did not seem sick at all. We just gave her ibuprofen and waited until it passed, since that's the standard treatment for toxic synovitis. It caused her quite a bit of pain from time to time. When she was diagnosed with celiac at age 4, I'm happy to say that her leg pain has gone away completely! In retrospect, I feel quite sure that it was a symptom of celiac all along. (She had many, many other symptoms as an infant too, but it took four years to finally get to the bottom of it.) The leg pain had been most consistent in the weeks leading up to her endoscopy, when I was feeding her wheat every day, and it disappeared within days of going gluten free and hasn't returned.

nvsmom Community Regular

I had joint pain as a kid. The grown-ups called it growing pain but it never left - as an adult they changed the name of it to arthralgias. LOL  

I believe it could be a symptom in a child. Be aware that joint pain and nerve issues are often some of the slowest to resolve on the gluten-free diet.

Best wishes.

Archived