This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Two Weeks In....messed Up Twice

livinthelife

livinthelife Apprentice

Going on two weeks after diagnosis. Bad symptoms for a year and a half but looking back, much longer. Cleaned kitchen, bought new stuff, got my act TOGETHER!!! Or so I thought...

I've messed up twice. Once was out to eat - which I already see as something that won't be like it used to be. I think it was the twice baked potato - who knew they could mix up the potato filling and add a binder to make it go further? The other time was with my trusty old iron skillet. I knew better, man oh man I knew better, but hadn't purchased a new one yet. Sautéed chicken. Sick all night, foggy and still sick all day. Joint pain. The whole enchilada - made with corn tortillas, of course!

I'm learning. I'm taking subligual B12 and extra calcium. The label reading is driving me nuts but I'm adjusting. 

These forums are a lifesaver. I've read the Newbie section too!

Just feeling a little sorry for myself and realizing that this is life long. No cheating. Ever. It's OK!!! I felt so much better with my *clean* full week that it's all the incentive I need to keep on trying. I swear even my eyes are brighter!! And I slept all night that week!! And I didn't wake up, ummmmmm, covered if ya know what I mean! That part is awesomeness!

Just want to say thank you for all I'm learning. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Going on two weeks after diagnosis. Bad symptoms for a year and a half but looking back, much longer. Cleaned kitchen, bought new stuff, got my act TOGETHER!!! Or so I thought...

I've messed up twice. Once was out to eat - which I already see as something that won't be like it used to be. I think it was the twice baked potato - who knew they could mix up the potato filling and add a binder to make it go further? The other time was with my trusty old iron skillet. I knew better, man oh man I knew better, but hadn't purchased a new one yet. Sautéed chicken. Sick all night, foggy and still sick all day. Joint pain. The whole enchilada - made with corn tortillas, of course!

I'm learning. I'm taking subligual B12 and extra calcium. The label reading is driving me nuts but I'm adjusting. 

These forums are a lifesaver. I've read the Newbie section too!

Just feeling a little sorry for myself and realizing that this is life long. No cheating. Ever. It's OK!!! I felt so much better with my *clean* full week that it's all the incentive I need to keep on trying. I swear even my eyes are brighter!! And I slept all night that week!! And I didn't wake up, ummmmmm, covered if ya know what I mean! That part is awesomeness!

Just want to say thank you for all I'm learning. Thanks!

Is the iron skillet a cast iron one? I've heard you can re-season those in the oven and it should be okay.

squirmingitch Veteran

It's true, you can get them clean & then re-season them. Peter recently gave the method on a thread.

I always cooked with cast iron but decided to get rid of mine when we went gluten-free b/c they are just getting too heavy for me to handle these days & we aren't getting any younger!

moosemalibu Collaborator

Don't be so hard on yourself for messing up. Yes - it's not best and you don't want to do it but it happens. It's a totally new way of thinking. You have to be so suspicious of everything you eat. Read and verify and double check. Most people recommend that you try to avoid restaurants while you are healing and new to the process because cross contamination is such a risk when eating out. Hang in there! You're doing great! :)

SkyBlue4 Apprentice

Ugh! The mistakes and cc are frustrating! I was accidentally glutened within 3 days of starting the diet and I was soooo mad....at myself! But this is a learning process and it just takes some time to get the swing of things.

Hang in there and don't get discouraged. With time, things will get better....and easier!  :)

w8in4dave Community Regular

Pretty soon it will be like second nature! Reading labels and such! Then one day you will just go get the brand you like and not have to read the label! It is scary to know they put Gluten in so much stuff! I do also wonder WHY? Why so much stuff in our food? I think alot of people are going gluten-free now adays! I see how horrid I used to eat now. Ohh well !! Good luck! I know after you do that CC a couple of times you sure learn to pay more attention! 

squirmingitch Veteran

Then one day you will just go get the brand you like and not have to read the label! 

I disagree with this. Formulations/ingredients change. That's how people get in trouble...... just picking up what they've always used. Your mantra should be:

EVERY LABEL, EVERY TIME. Forever.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

I agree with this.  You have to find a balance between totally anal retentive (like me, haha) and letting your guard down too much.  I will swoop through the store in a hurry sometimes and buy trusted brands but I always double check labels as I am putting up my groceries.  Just in case I didn't catch something.  You will get used to where on the labels the gluten free is, like on classico sauces it seems to be on the bottom left, etc. and it makes it faster for you.

livinthelife Apprentice

Tonight I went out to eat. I talked to the waitress and made it clear that gluten free was medical and not a choice. She came back and told me the chef said I could have a certain salad and that she'd grill me a chicken breast separately with no seasonings. I knew she was taking me seriously with the "no seasonings" part!! She even brought me out separate containers with oil and vinegar!

I ran into the chef later and she said she's been trying different pastas and the like to figure out what on her menu can truly be called safely gluten free.

Thank you all for your positive, "that a girl" comments! Didn't even want the bread and garlic butter tonight.  Not too much anyway. :o)

cyclinglady Grand Master

You can use your old cast iron skillet, if you have a "clean" cycle on your oven.  Put it in, run the clean cycle, and then re-season it.  There are plenty of blogs on how to re-season or check the Lodge Cast Iron website for directions.

Welcome!

IrishHeart Veteran

Tonight I went out to eat. 

:unsure: I hate to sound like a broken record, but we are suggesting honestly that you hold off on the eating out for a few months while you heal up your gut a little bit. Eating out right away after diagnosis is not always the best idea.

Sometimes a reaction to gluten is delayed and you may not be able to tell where or how it happened.(and I do not think it was your cast iron pan, either) 

I've been at this for 3+ years and I still get hit by well-meaning chefs, no matter how many questions I ask and no matter how much they assure me they "get it".

Be careful! Hang in there. It gets easier.

I disagree with this. Formulations/ingredients change. That's how people get in trouble...... just picking up what they've always used. Your mantra should be:

You are so right!! Because they will change the recipe!! You see I am kinda a newbie!! But yes!! I should know!! Thanks for the reminder!! 

squirmingitch Veteran

You are so right!! Because they will change the recipe!! You see I am kinda a newbie!! But yes!! I should know!! Thanks for the reminder!! 

Sure thing! I have to remind myself sometimes. I put something in the cart & then say OOPS!, pull it back out & read the label. On that, we have a lifetime of habit to change.

Sure thing! I have to remind myself sometimes. I put something in the cart & then say OOPS!, pull it back out & read the label. On that, we have a lifetime of habit to change.

Yes again!! Your right!! A life time of habit to change!! I do sometimes buy stuff at the store. I come home and read the label! Ughh stupid me!! But at least I read it before I cook it! Yes everyone has got to read every label every time! It is in your best interest always!! 

livinthelife Apprentice

I feel so lazy sometimes with all the label reading that I just don't eat. I've hardly eaten at all this week and only had three "real" meals. Other than that I just eat crackers and grab a slice of cheese or a handful of almonds. 

I keep losing weight and my goal is EAT and maybe prepare meals on Sunday that I can just grab during the week. Did any of you run into this in the beginning? I'm headed to the recipes forum to read. 

Whether or not it was my beloved iron skillet, I'm going to re-season them all this afternoon just to be on the safe side! I am amazed at how much better I'm feeling, so I'm going to take every precaution. I can actually stay awake past eight PM!!! 

IrishHeart Veteran

Glad to hear you are felling better.

You have to eat, hon. You can't gain weight and your strength back just eating crackers.You need some protein.

You do not need to read labels on fresh veggies, fruits meats eggs and fish.

Make stews, soups, chilis if that's easier and reheat when you need something quickly.

I am cutting and pasting this from the Newbie 101 thread so I do not have to type it again. LOL

Leftovers from last night's dinner make an easy lunch
A sandwich with gluten free bread or rolls—UDIs, Rudi's, Glutino Genius, Scharr's and Canyon Bakehouse --all have decent packaged breads, 
A big salad or an antipasta with tons of veggies and grilled chicken or shrimp and Hard-boiled eggs/ with gluten-free or homemade vinegrette dressing.
A list of gluten free salad dressings is available online. Marzettis, and most of WishBone and Ken's are okay. BUT Homemade is best!
Homemade vegetable minestrone ,chicken soup, stews, black bean or White bean chili (use gluten-free stock--Pacific, Imagine or make your own from scratch--even better!)
Chicken or bean nachos (can use corn tortillas)
Red beans and rice
grilled burgers and beans (Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and Bush's Baked Beans are gluten-free) (Udi's makes hamburger rolls now or you can make your own. CHEBE bread mix makes good rolls)
almost all mexican food is safe (just no flour tortillas!)
Pasta and sauce w/meatballs (brown rice or corn pasta)
TINKYADA BRAND penne pasta is delicious! Cook 13 minutes exactly. Trust me!) and use gluten-free breadcrumbs (purchase or just grind some gluten-free bread and season)in your meatballs
Another good pasta is CORN pasta. BiAglut or Sam's Hill are a couple. Cook as directed.
meatloaf (beef or ground turkey) baked potato or yams, green veggie of some kind
Other proteins: roasted or grilled chicken, turkey, pork, beef, salmon, talapia, scallops, lamb, some sausages are safe, bacon (Check labels)
Vegetarian chili--homemade.
I eat a variety of veggies.....whatever looks fresh at the super market or farmer's market or stands...steamed, grilled--- or roasted root veggies in stock.
Sweet potatoes—baked at 350 degrees in a pan for 45-50 mins.--are yummy
Potatoes—roasted, grilled, in a gratin or whipped with milk
Fritattas with veggies and salad
Stuffed peppers—with ground turkey, beef or lamb and rice

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I feel so lazy sometimes with all the label reading that I just don't eat. I've hardly eaten at all this week and only had three "real" meals. Other than that I just eat crackers and grab a slice of cheese or a handful of almonds. 

I keep losing weight and my goal is EAT and maybe prepare meals on Sunday that I can just grab during the week. Did any of you run into this in the beginning? I'm headed to the recipes forum to read. 

Whether or not it was my beloved iron skillet, I'm going to re-season them all this afternoon just to be on the safe side! I am amazed at how much better I'm feeling, so I'm going to take every precaution. I can actually stay awake past eight PM!!! 

Don't be too hard on yourself... it may not really be laziness but simply that you don't have the energy.  Even when you eat you're not absorbing all of your food, so you don't get enough nutrients, so you're tired and have low energy - that's what has happened to me - much more before my diagnosis though.

Try to have other, more nutritious, quick food on hand for those times that you don't have the energy to cook.  Protein powder, nuts, raw veggies, soup, etc.  I always eat a protein bar on my way home from work so that I have the energy to fix dinner when I get home.  After awhile of eating regularly you'll start having more energy.  You may just have to break the cycle.

notme Experienced

I am amazed at how much better I'm feeling, so I'm going to take every precaution. I can actually stay awake past eight PM!!! 

it's really surprising, isn't it?  i never thought i would get any energy back (last summer i actually played kickball and didn't die of exhaustion lolz)  it certainly is incentive to keep us on the right track  :)  keep on keepin' on! 

livinthelife Apprentice

it's really surprising, isn't it?  i never thought i would get any energy back (last summer i actually played kickball and didn't die of exhaustion lolz)  it certainly is incentive to keep us on the right track  :)  keep on keepin' on! 

YES!!! The slow slide back into life causes me to realize just exactly how sick I've been. My dry skin and itchy eyes and knee pain - not to mention the other, more embarrassing stuff! I could go on and on. 

I've cooked all day and feel ready for the week!!! Thank you all!!!

livinthelife Apprentice

Glad to hear you are felling better.

You have to eat, hon. You can't gain weight and your strength back just eating crackers.You need some protein.

You do not need to read labels on fresh veggies, fruits meats eggs and fish.

Make stews, soups, chilis if that's easier and reheat when you need something quickly.

I am cutting and pasting this from the Newbie 101 thread so I do not have to type it again. LOL

Leftovers from last night's dinner make an easy lunch

A sandwich with gluten free bread or rolls—UDIs, Rudi's, Glutino Genius, Scharr's and Canyon Bakehouse --all have decent packaged breads, 

A big salad or an antipasta with tons of veggies and grilled chicken or shrimp and Hard-boiled eggs/ with gluten-free or homemade vinegrette dressing.

A list of gluten free salad dressings is available online. Marzettis, and most of WishBone and Ken's are okay. BUT Homemade is best!

Homemade vegetable minestrone ,chicken soup, stews, black bean or White bean chili (use gluten-free stock--Pacific, Imagine or make your own from scratch--even better!)

Chicken or bean nachos (can use corn tortillas)

Red beans and rice

grilled burgers and beans (Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and Bush's Baked Beans are gluten-free) (Udi's makes hamburger rolls now or you can make your own. CHEBE bread mix makes good rolls)

almost all mexican food is safe (just no flour tortillas!)

Pasta and sauce w/meatballs (brown rice or corn pasta)

TINKYADA BRAND penne pasta is delicious! Cook 13 minutes exactly. Trust me!) and use gluten-free breadcrumbs (purchase or just grind some gluten-free bread and season)in your meatballs

Another good pasta is CORN pasta. BiAglut or Sam's Hill are a couple. Cook as directed.

meatloaf (beef or ground turkey) baked potato or yams, green veggie of some kind

Other proteins: roasted or grilled chicken, turkey, pork, beef, salmon, talapia, scallops, lamb, some sausages are safe, bacon (Check labels)

Vegetarian chili--homemade.

I eat a variety of veggies.....whatever looks fresh at the super market or farmer's market or stands...steamed, grilled--- or roasted root veggies in stock.

Sweet potatoes—baked at 350 degrees in a pan for 45-50 mins.--are yummy

Potatoes—roasted, grilled, in a gratin or whipped with milk

Fritattas with veggies and salad

Stuffed peppers—with ground turkey, beef or lamb and rice

Thank you so much for all the ideas!! It's silly how blank I am because I love to cook so much. I think I sort of had a shut-down pity party for a few days. I know it sounds crazy but when I realized tortilla chips at a lot of restaurants weren't safe, it was like a kick in the gut (haha no pun intended). 

I've always spouted NO PROCESSED FOOD and LET'S EAT HEALTHY....Guess I got my wish!!! :o)

IrishHeart Veteran

YES!!! The slow slide back into life causes me to realize just exactly how sick I've been. My dry skin and itchy eyes and knee pain - not to mention the other, more embarrassing stuff! I could go on and on. 

I've cooked all day and feel ready for the week!!! Thank you all!!!

Annnnnnd...... she's "got it"...! :D

Hon, it takes a while to adjust to this whole thing, but you're doing it!! So proud of you!!

You're going to be okay. You will feel better and have more energy and soon, this will "be the new normal".

Hang in there, We've got your back.

Archived