BrennanaBread

So Ticked Off.

Rate this topic

I was super hungry and the only place open in town is McDonald's. So, off I went. I ordered a grilled chicken club, no bread, fries (which I can usually eat) and a Coke. I get my order, and check it. Crispy chicken. I politely say "I'm sorry, I ordered grilled and this is crispy, I can't eat it." The manager takes it and goes back to the cook, relaying what I said. I can hear everything they're saying through the window. After a minute, the cook goes: "Can I lick it? I bet you she'll still eat it." I told the manager when she returned that I could hear everything they said and that I didn't appreciate it. She gave some crap apology and told me there was no higher up manager during the day to report it to.

I don't even want my food now. This is so stupid, and it's not my darn fault I can't eat your stupid crispy chicken. Freaking gluten.

It is sad when you get crapy workers! I would call someone! I don't know who! But someone! This is a very frustrating disease! Not being able to eat out !! I do like Mc. Donalds FF tho :) Sadly I cannot drink pop any longer tho! pffttt!! 

The way I view eating at restaurants is like this... I am going to go to the place where it is easier to eat gluten-free first.  The fewer special instructions I give, the less likely it will be screwed up.  I save places where I can eat, but with a lot of attention and modification, for the last resort when I am away from home and about to starve.  I would rather eat random safe snacks from a gas station than try to order an entree from mcdonalds, because they have people like that.  Fast food people are sometimes great, but there are the incompetent ones like that who give them all a bad name.

If you are going to be in a situation at home where you need a fast meal, you could do a frozen dinner instead.  I always keep a few gluten-free frozen dinners on hand in my freezer for if I am sick or something is going on and I cant cook.  Even the pricey ones cost less than a meal at a fast food place usually.  It is nice to be able to throw gluten-free chicken nuggets in the microwave when you are crunched for time instead of going and risking getting sick from crappy fast food.  Especially if that is the only Mcdonalds in town :( I would contact corporate and/or the franchise owner about that. 

The fries were good with ranch. :)

I'm sorry you can't drink soda! If someone took away my Coke I'd cry.

Yea I think I did cry!!! I thought that was my one thing I didn't get taken away!! And guess what? It got taken away. But Sierra Mist is made with Real Sugar not HFCS :) It isn't coke by any means, but it'll do in a pinch! 

Yea I think I did cry!!! I thought that was my one thing I didn't get taken away!! And guess what? It got taken away. But Sierra Mist is made with Real Sugar not HFCS :) It isn't coke by any means, but it'll do in a pinch! 

Around Passover, go to your local grocery store and look for 2 liter bottles of Coke with *yellow* caps. They are kosher for Passover, which means no corn! They are made with real sugar! (And oh, so delicious)

I won't touch McDonald's food (or most fast food) with a 10-foot pole, for many many reasons, the least of which is that I would not trust them to serve a safely gluten-free meal. Far far too many chances of CC in a place like that.

That said, that sounds like grounds for just saying, no I don't want my order and I want a refund. Screwing up your order is bad enough. Being rude and nasty when fixing it is not a vote of confidence, even if the manager intervened. I hope it turned out to be safe.

Anyway, definitely time to stock up on easy at home meals. It's better to hold out and make something yourself than risk getting sick.

I'm wary of fast food too, but when it's 12:30 in the morning, I'm starving and there's no food I can eat in the fridge, it's a last resort. I need to get some chicken breasts and cook them and some good dipping sauce, and just keep them in the fridge for reheating! (I love chicken! I could not survive as a celiac vegetarian. So much respect for those who do.)

I'm wary of fast food too, but when it's 12:30 in the morning, I'm starving and there's no food I can eat in the fridge, it's a last resort. I need to get some chicken breasts and cook them and some good dipping sauce, and just keep them in the fridge for reheating! (I love chicken! I could not survive as a celiac vegetarian. So much respect for those who do.)

there ya go - advance planning is the way to go.  i have a 'snack pack' - a backpack i always have with me when i leave the house.  that way, i'm not starving and tempted to make bad or unsafe choices.  sometimes it just has snacks, sometimes i pack it with dinner or a sandwich, etc.  :) 

I make up a huge batch of chicken enchilidias, divide them into meal size and freeze them.  That way I always have a meal.  Another idea (if you like it) is to make up some meat loaf, put it in a mini load pan and you will have several mini meat loafs in the freezer.  Meat balls, anything like that.  simple to make a lot of and great to have in the freezer. 

I like the enchilada idea for a personal microwave meal.  Just get a few of those really good plastic containers at the store, like gladware but I use my store brand.  I make my own frozen dinners for two, usually pasta, lasagna, or enchiladas.  I will do the enchiladas/lasagna in a foil pan so I can cook them in the oven, and the pasta in a microwaveable container.  My sister is a diet freak and every weekend she will grill up a bunch of chicken breasts and put them in freezer containers with slightly under cooked broccoli, so she just heats them up for lunch.  When I go back to working I will probably do the same thing to make it easier on myself.

Honestly, they don't pay their employees very much. I probably wouldn't be a very enthusiastic worker either. Not an excuse, but being responsible for my own body, I personally wouldn't trust McD's, even the fries, which could easily be cross-contaminated being handled by gluteny gloved hands.

ETA: I'm lucky in that I have a WalMart near me. Not that I love WalMart, but it's 24 hours. If it were midnight and I had no food in the fridge, I'd go to Wally World and grab a few whole ingredients (veggies or whatnot) and have those. Fruit. Anything but fast food which I can almost guarantee will be cross-contaminated and if not, will contain MSG, something I can't stomach (literally) - the grilled McD's chicken has MSG, I believe.

Don't ever let yourself get caught out with an empty fridge. Pick up something, anything before that happens. Pepperoni slices, already-chopped veggies, things you don't have to prepare in order to make it easier on yourself, but have something on hand.

I'm sorry this happened to you; I would think the least they could offer would be a refund. I think our McD's would (my kids still sometimes eat those foods and the people are always awesome about stuff like that). See if you can't grab a manager at some other time and explain.