cristiana

Vertigo/imbalance

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone

I am now having tests for my ongoing feelings of being on board a ship.  The ENT now thinks it isn't inner ear, so I just wondered, for any of you who actually have gluten ataxia, can you tell me, if you suffer from feelings of being imbalanced, vertigo issues etc, is it 24/7 or do certain actions set it off?

In my own case, I don't wake up with it - I usually find that bending down to pick something up, using the computer, carrying heavy objects sets it off.  The ENT thinks it is to do with the neck.   I did injure my neck and back shortly before this all started, so he may be onto something.  Sometimes I feel unsteady when I walk and that often coincides with lower back pain.

Many thanks.

I get it, occasionally.

I think bits associated with inflammation - for me, tmj from having my wisdom teeth removed ( one side was impacted and they messed up my jaw in that side).

I notice I'm more likely to get vertigo when allergies are bad (and tmj is bad).

I have luck with massage for my tmj, which relaxes the ligaments/tendons and relaxes everything.

Thanks for your reply, pricklypear

That's interesting... do you get the spinning rooom vertigo .... or sort of swaying back and forth type, which is the type I get, along with feeling I'm on a ship's deck.

Also, do you feel your gait is slightly affected?

I get the Leaning Tower of Pisa /can't walk effect at its worst.

I get nausea, sort of slow-motion with a hint of spinning, most often with allergies. I can move around and do things but want to vomit on them, and get a terrible headache. Helps if I sit up/move around but not too much. I think I get fluid in my ear, and sitting up helps it drain.

Thanks again pricklypear.  Glad I'm not the only one - although sorry you are going through it, if you know what I mean.

Just wondering, do you or does anyone else know if vertigo from gluten ataxia is a 24/7 feeling, rather than just lasting several hours every day?  I am not talking about the type which hangs around for a few days or even weeks as a response to recent glutening, but as a more chronic condition caused by sustained damage over a period of time, if that makes sense.   I mentioned the possibility of my having ataxia to one doctor and she dismissed it saying I wouldn't have got ataxia after my gastro symptoms stopped - the vertigo started about two months after adopting a gluten-free diet, when the gastro symptoms were a lot better.

Thanks.

it took a little while - i honestly didn't connect the dots and wasn't expecting it but suddenly i could carry TWO things down the stairs.  (not holding the railing for dear life)  and drive without feeling like i was falling off the road.  i think it's neurological, which is slower to heal.  hang in there!  mine was 'falling'  and  'leaning' - could not stand without feeling like i was falling.  sometimes trying to correct it, and falling anyway because it only FELT like i was off balance.