This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Recipe Apps?

jonesy77

jonesy77 Newbie

Hi there! Newbie to the forum. 

Does anyone know any good gluten free recipe apps? Have friends coming over after Christmas and we need some good Christmasy recipes which I can download.

Love any that you've tried and feel worked for you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Sorry, I don't know of any apps, but on this forum, many folks have posted great recipes.  There are plenty of blogs out there too!  I try to avoid the blog recipes that require different blends of gluten-free flours.  

I do plenty of baking of goodies and have converted most of my old gluten-containing recipes to gluten-free using Pamela's gluten-free flour.  I try to avoid any all purpose flour that has beans in it. 

Looking for desserts?  There's a gluten-free gram cracker crumb manufacturer that will allow you to make your own cheesecake or ice cream cakes using a springform pan.  Find a cheesecake recipe on Bon Appetite and you'll be sure to get raves and they are easy to make!

Attended a party last night.  I brought ham rolls (ham, cream cheese, green onions or aspargus stalks), and crispy bacon wrapped dates stuffed with almonds.  So many options! 

LauraTX Rising Star

Also, if you can give us an idea of what kind of dishes you want to prepare, we can point you in the direction of some of our favorites :)

jonesy77 Newbie

Also, if you can give us an idea of what kind of dishes you want to prepare, we can point you in the direction of some of our favorites :)

Just something simple and quick - we'll probably do a roast so that's ok, but it would be nice to have some gluten free stuffing or similar and maybe something for dessert?

LauraTX Rising Star

Have you ever made risotto?  It is actually quite simple, but they make gluten-free box mixes that are really good, I use lundberg brand.  Says gluten free prominently on the box.  

A nice holiday side dish is au gratin potatoes, just use a regular recipe, and use corn starch in the sauce instead of flour.  I can vouch that this works well.  If you are in a gluten-eating kitchen, I would buy a new container of corn starch (its cheap) since all that powdery stuff floofs all over and you don't want to feed your friend gluten by accident if they are sensitive.  Here is a good recipe:  Open Original Shared Link    (I have made that with parmesean cheese, too.  And bacon/cheddar)

Mashed potatoes are naturally gluten-free as well.  Just boil peeled potatoes that are cut up, until soft.  Mash with butter, milk/cream, and salt and pepper.  You can make them garlic mashed potatoes by boiling whole garlic cloves with it and mashing them with the potatoes.  

Something I like to serve with fancy roasts is haricots verts- or fresh french green beans.  You can steam/boil them for a few minutes, then sautee them with garlic and butter in a pan.  Be careful to not burn the garlic. Salt and pepper to taste. 

If you want to make gluten-free stuffing, you can use your regular recipe and use gluten-free bread.  I would cut up the bread into cubes and toast it in the oven before adding it into the mix because gluten-free bread can get mooshy.  If your grocer carries Udis brand that works well.  It is kept in the freezer and has a yellow/blue label.  But any gluten-free bread you find should work fine.  Also in the stuffing recipe, it may call for broth, and not all broths are gluten free.  Look for stock in the square containers, a lot of those gourmet brands will say "gluten free" on the box.  Here is the stuffing recipe I made for Thanksgiving, it is in a slow cooker but it would work just as well  in the oven:

Open Original Shared Link

And for dessert, I know the perfect chocolate-lovers recipe.  Flourless chocolate cake.  Make it with the ganace on top like it has here:   Open Original Shared Link  and serve with sliced strawberries.  If your friend is a sensitive celiac they may not be comfortable eating something made in the same pan as gluten baked goods, you may want to ask them first.   I have my mother in law make everything in disposable foil pans when I come over, it solves part of that problem.

Another less-involved dessert idea would be a sundae bar, really good if there are a lot of people.  Get ice cream, bananas, chocolate syrup, various fruit, and let everyone go to town making what they want.  

I would like a banana split now after talking about that!  Hope all my ideas helped ya :)

Adalaide Mentor

I used Rudi's stuffing this year for Thanksgiving and made the second recipe on the list, the Laura's whatever. The apple in it seemed a little weird when I was making it, but I did it anyway and it turned out perfect. Of course, you have to find Rudi's stuffing, which I found in all of my local health food stores, but none of the regular grocery stores. Open Original Shared Link

Other than stuffing, I mostly just make the same everything I've always made for the holidays with the exception of green bean casserole which I simply skip. It's just meat + veggies + gravy + stuffing. The only issue there is the stuffing. Dessert is as easy as a crustless pumpkin pie or cheesecake.

Archived