mall

Gluten Intolerance Or Celiac Disease?

Rate this topic

My three year old has had years of bloating, headaches, and diarrhea and the GI doctor ran her blood for Celiac and it came back negative. I asked to have a scope run which they did and I am waiting on the results now. The doctor says her thinks it is IBS instead. My eleven year old was diagnosed as having IBS at three and still continues to have problems. (She had a celiac blood test done but no scope.) My question is what is gluten intolerance and could this be the reason for both my girls issues? Also what about an IBS diagnosis? How do you handle that? I do not think that is what my children have.  

You may want to ask a doctor that knows more about gluten intolerance.  The symptoms you mentioned sound like  classic symptoms.  Make sure they had a full celiac panel.  See if you can get an endoscopy regardless.  Then, after all the testing is done, try the final test and go gluten free.  If they respond to the diet, they have a gluten problem.  

Do you have it diagnosed in your family?  Well, I don't, but it is genetic.  Celiac is a disease in which gluten damages the villi in the small intestine which are designed to absorb nutrients.  Celiac can cause many symptoms.  When you can't absorb your food well, your whole body isn't as well.  Gluten sensitivity can cause similar symptoms as celiac which go away on a gluten free diet. 

You may want to ask for a doctor in your area.  Someone here might know one near you.

D

I agree with the post above, and I'll add my two cents - In my opinion, IBS is the name for a collection of symptoms, and doctors tell you that you have it when they don't know what's wrong. Don't settle for this diagnosis because it doesn't really give you an answer on how to fix the problem. 

It sounds like it could be either Celiac or a gluten intolerance. Check that a full Celiac panel was done, and if you can't get further testing try going 100% gluten free and see if it helps (but only after all testing is done). It could also be a different food intolerance or multiple (I know I'm sensitive to eggs and possible soy). Gluten seems to be the culprit much of the time and is a good place to start. 

Remember that you are the best advocate for your family, so keep learning and asking questions. I've found that you cannot always depend on doctors to know what is best. 

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Someone around here said IBS stands for " I be stumped". Seems bogus to me too.

Non-celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI) can be found in 6 to (over) 10% of the population. It is more common than celiac disease, has all the same symptoms as celiac disease (except the villi damage) and can only be treated with a gluten-free diet... That how you diagnose it too as there are no accepted blood tests at this time although some think the AGA (anti-gliadin antibodies) tests may show gluten intolerance in those with NCGI as well.

Two of my three kids had symptoms like yours but they also tested negative. I am a celiac so I chose to not trust the tests and made our house gluten-free - they are doing much better now. It could be NCGI or it could be celiac disease but it really makes no difference in how one treats the diseases. It's just a label.

Good luck!