NewUser

Looking For Feedback On A New Gluten Free Product Idea

Rate this topic

It's a very simple idea but hopefully something that people with Celiac would benefit from. I in the process of developing a line of cookware (pots, pans, cutting boards, knives) with the message "Gluten Free Products Only!" printed on very visible parts of the product.

I got this idea from watching my celiac girlfriend keep throwing out cutting boards because her non-Celiac roommates kept slicing bread on them. Her roommates weren't contaminating her cutting boards to be spiteful, they just forgot about her condition.

What do you guys think?

Specific question to Celiacs who share kitchens with non-Celiacs: If my cookware was reasonably priced and of reasonable quality would you

a. DEFINITELY buy it

b. MAYBE buy it

c. PROBABLY NOT buy it

Thanks!

Probably not. I would consider a cutting board, colander or measuring cups but not pots and pans. Pans don't really need to be gluten-free if they aren't scratched. I like my Caphalon pans. Things that wash nicely like, knives, dishes, pots and pans, silverware, etc don't need to be segregated. I, and many others, solve some of these problems by buying a distinctive color - red is the most common. I have red cutting boards, colanders, measuring cups, cooking utensils. At my house, red is the color of gluten-free.

Perhaps your girlfriend should find more considerate roommates? Or put all her stuff away in her room?

I use a separate cutting board (different color) and toaster. Everything else s shared and washed well. I'm not super sensitives to cc bough, I think, and we have stainless pots and pans and colanders, so there's no scratches to worry about. Might consider a cutting board and cooking utensils.

I use a separate cutting board (different color) and toaster. Everything else s shared and washed well. I'm not super sensitives to cc bough, I think, and we have stainless pots and pans and colanders, so there's no scratches to worry about. Might consider a cutting board and cooking utensils.

I would consider a colander for gluten pasta only. Use the other for fruit, beans and gluten-free pasta. It's really hard to get the sticky pasta out of every little hole.

I would not buy it.  In my kitchen it is the opposite way around, I segregate gluten, not gluten-free stuff.  Basically my whole kitchen is gluten-free except when I make hamburgers/hot dogs I buy regular buns for my spouse and only I handle them in the most anal retentive way you can imagine.  He used to keep bread around for sandwiches but now if he wants one he will use a hamburger bun because they are less crummy.  I freeze them individually in ziplocs.

If I had a shared kitchen, I would buy the cheapest cutting boards and colanders I could, because if a roommate is THAT inattentive I don't think they would pay attention if it said GLUTEN FREE with giant shiny lights pointing at it, it would still be prone to accidental contamination.  People mark theirs with markers, designated colors, and then there are also the labels linked by the previous poster. 

However, depending on how much storage space is in the kitchen, maybe a solution to people inadvertently using the gluten-free stuff for gluten would be to get a giant red tub at the after Christmas sales and keep all gluten-free stuff in there? :)  Put a giant "Soandso's Gluten Free Utensils- touch this and you die!"

cheap answer:  buy a sharpie.  problem solved :P

Don't forget the masking tape or painter's tape which won't leave a sticky residue and comes off easily. Duct tape works well in freezers as long as you take it off while it's still frozen. It'll actually stay stuck on, without all the expense of freezer tape. And it comes in fun colors! B)