moosemalibu

Pamela's Ap Flour And Cookie Spreading

Rate this topic

Well I tried to get into the holiday spirit and attempted to cook 4 different recipes of cookies on Christmas Eve and they all spread like crazy!

I tried gingerbread, peanut butter, chocolate chip and chocolate crinkle cookies. I tried adding more flour to see if that would help and it really didn't do anything for it. It was too late to change the butter to shortening on 2 of the recipes but even that didn't help. I didn't over mix. Is it the flour I used? I haven't bought my own flours to mix an AP yet but if it helps I'll make it my next priority.

Sorry to hear about your baking problems. Here are some suggestions:

1. Butter soft enough to be blended but not too soft. I never use shortening ever -- it is not real! I use lard for pie crusts or butter.

2. After mixing chill the dough for at least one hour. This helps everything to blend and bind -- especially for gluten-free doughs.

3. I only use my arm to mix. No chance of over creaming the butter and I get a workout.

Don't think it had anything to do with your flours.

Try it again!

I did chill the dough.. forgot to mention that. I hand mixed all of them... the shortening was nonhydrogenated vegetable shortening that I used. I'll try again but I don't know... 4 different recipes and they all spread the same.

Were they gluten-free recipes v. Gluten recipes subbing gluten-free flour?

And, try increasing your oven temperature by 5-10 degrees. I got quite a bit of spread in recipes in the beginning....and it's either my oven temperature (though thermostat says it's accurate), or altitude, or evil faeries.

Generally, I need to increase oven temp 5-10 degrees. I've found long, low temps are NOT my gluten-free baking friend.

Were they gluten-free recipes v. Gluten recipes subbing gluten-free flour?

And, try increasing your oven temperature by 5-10 degrees. I got quite a bit of spread in recipes in the beginning....and it's either my oven temperature (though thermostat says it's accurate), or altitude, or evil faeries.

Generally, I need to increase oven temp 5-10 degrees. I've found long, low temps are NOT my gluten-free baking friend.

One was a gluten recipe that was subbed gluten-free. The other 3 were gluten-free recipes. Two (That were the gluten-free recipes) called for 325 degree fahrenheit ovens. I'll try a warmer oven next time!