africanqueen99

Health And Beauty Aid Overhaul...

Rate this topic

Hello.  I'm interested in what you all use for the following items.  Please note that the celiacs in the house are kids so I'm looking into the cheaper options (they can buy the Red Apple lipstick when they're shelling out their own money!).

Shampoo and conditioner

Leave-in conditioner

Body wash

Bar soap

Shaving cream

Lotion

Chapstick/Lip Goo

Hand soap

Sunscreen

Bug spray

In the past we've always leaned toward the more natural ingredients, but I'm willing to push that aside, for now, while the girls still heal.

Thanks.  I've been slowly researching things company by company, but thought this might be a quicker way to get to the bottom of my needs and then decide what will work for us.

I use Suave Naturals Shampoo & also their conditioner but the conditioner is not a leave in. both are cheap too & work great!

Lotion: Vaseline Intensive Rescue Repairing Moisture

Blistex for lips - either the simple & sensitive in the blue tube or the one in the red & white squeeze tube

Body wash - I use a sudsy scrub a friend makes

No shaving cream here; I use an electric shaver

We just use the clear liquid hand soap store brand

We don't use sunscreen or bug spray

I use dr. Bronner's liquid soap, mixed half with water, in a foaming dispenser for hand soap.

Soap - Dove or Kiss My Face plain olive oil bar soap.

I still buy Burt's Bees lip shimmer sticks. I know they don't say gluten-free anymore but I've had no problem.

Aveda Scalp Benefits shampoo/conditioner.

For Lip Stuff, I use EOS.  Its the one that looks like a ball.  It has gluten free on the label and does a good job.

Colleen

Thanks all!  Keep more ideas coming. :)

Good to know!  I pitched all my make-up and then trekked to Sephora (my personal hell).  It took them a long time to come up with gluten-free products...and then I got home and researched to find not everything in the bag would work.  UGH!  Back for returns.  Maybe I'll just go to CVS for an easier option!

Thanks all!  Keep more ideas coming. :)

Good to know!  I pitched all my make-up and then trekked to Sephora (my personal hell).  It took them a long time to come up with gluten-free products...and then I got home and researched to find not everything in the bag would work.  UGH!  Back for returns.  Maybe I'll just go to CVS for an easier option!

I really don't worry about things that won't get in my mouth like mascara and eyeliner.

I think ELF products say gluten-free on them? I forgot to look today at Target. They are very inexpensive.

NYC (New York Color) lipstick is gluten-free and it is 2-3 dollars at Family Dollar. I'm sure you can also find it at other stores.

I've been using the Simple brand products for moisturizers lately.  The entire Neutrogena Naturals line is gluten free as well, and I really like their lip balm!  I also use EOS balm as well.  For hair products, I've been used Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner, and they label them gluten free on the bottle.  Those are a little pricey, so I usually wait for a BOGO 50% off sale at Walgreens or CVS.  They also sell that line at Target.

http://naturals.neutrogena.com/questions#2n37

NYC (New York Color) lipstick is gluten-free and it is 2-3 dollars at Family Dollar. I'm sure you can also find it at other stores.

Thanks for this recommendation. Did not know that at all!

:) I use the one called "sugarplum".

It doesn't have the staying power of the more expensive brands, but at that price you can apply more often and still come out WAY ahead.

I use Aquanil face wash. I have rosacea and this was recommended by my derm. It's much like Cetaphil but without the film and it doesn't have parabens if that is a concern.

Dove sensitive body wash

matrix or suave shampoo and conditioner

Burts bees lip balms, and red apple lipstick but mostly stick with burts bees. I have like 6 of them!

Physicians formula powder, eyeshadow, and eye cream

Bare minerals blush

Olay sensitive SPF 15 (not sure it's gluten free but according to Olay the biggest source of gluten is in their fragranced products)

Underneath my moisturizer I use a pure hyaluronic acid serum

Burts bees makeup remover wipes

Leave in conditioner: organix argan oil spray (suave makes one too )

I believe some Mary Kay products are gluten free and Avon offers a lot of choices, most of the line is gluten-free

:) I use the one called "sugarplum".

It doesn't have the staying power of the more expensive brands, but at that price you can apply more often and still come out WAY ahead.

Hey bartfull, I googled the lipstick to see if they had a statement on gluten free and this is what I found. 

http://newyorkcolor.com/tips/qa

"

Do NYC New York Color products contain gluten?

The following NYC New York Color products are gluten-free:

Ultra Moist Lip Wear

Ultra Last Lip Wear

Kiss Gloss

Smooch Proof Lip Wear

Smooch Proof Lip Stain

Lip Slider

Automatic Lip Liner

Lip Glider

Roll On Lip Gloss

Lippin Large Lip Plumper

NYC Liquid Lip Shine contains Wheat protein at 0.1% - so this is NOT gluten-free."

I was so excited for the lipsticks. is the lip wear the lipstick you are talking about?

Yeah, the "ultra-last lipwear" is what my local Family Dollar carries.

I DON'T think Mary Kay or Avon are gluten-free, or at least most of their stuff isn't. At least that is what the dealers I USED to go through told me.

I DON'T think Mary Kay or Avon are gluten-free, or at least most of their stuff isn't. At least that is what the dealers I USED to go through told me.

YAY! I want a bright red lipstick. I had to give away an extensive lipstick collection(WAAAHHHH!) so I am on the hunt for my perfect red again. 

Here's a link to Avon gluten free list, most of their products ARE gluten free. there is also a YouTube video from the makeup artist at Smashbox who recommends Avon as a gluten free line. I don't use it, it's just what I have read.

http://avon.judy.angelfire.com/glutenfree.html

Hello.  I'm interested in what you all use for the following items.  Please note that the celiacs in the house are kids so I'm looking into the cheaper options (they can buy the Red Apple lipstick when they're shelling out their own money!).

Shampoo and conditioner

Leave-in conditioner

Body wash

Bar soap

Shaving cream

Lotion

Chapstick/Lip Goo

Hand soap

Sunscreen

Bug spray

In the past we've always leaned toward the more natural ingredients, but I'm willing to push that aside, for now, while the girls still heal.

Thanks.  I've been slowly researching things company by company, but thought this might be a quicker way to get to the bottom of my needs and then decide what will work for us.

africanqueen99,

I know that EO5, Softlips and Burtsbee lipbalms are gluten-free. I wrote to Covergirl about the makeup and here is what they told me (going to write to other makeup companies later).

Thanks for contacting CoverGirl,

We know Celiac is a serious disease, so we want to give you clear information regarding the use of our beauty care products.  If wheat and/or gluten aren't directly added to a product by us, these ingredients won't be listed on our packages.  Like many companies, we often purchase the scents for fragranced products from outside suppliers, and the components of these substances are proprietary information belonging to those companies. Therefore it's possible that a very small amount (generally parts per million) of gluten may be present.

We sought advice from physicians; they told us it would be very unlikely a person with Celiac disease would have a reaction from a trace amount of gluten coming into contact with his skin or hair.  This is because wheat, rye, barley and/or gluten generally cause symptoms when they're ingested.  Since our beauty care products are designed to be used externally on the skin, their use shouldn't be an issue for someone with this disease.

Since gluten sensitivity can vary among people, it would be best if you consulted with your physician about the use of all types of consumable goods, if you haven't already.  You might even consider using one of our fragrance free products that doesn't list gluten or wheat extracts on the label.

Thanks again for getting in touch with us.  I hope this response has been helpful to you.  For more information about Celiac, you may want to check out http://celiac.com/ and http://celiac.org

Shirley

CoverGirl Team

Dove soaps, shampoo n conditioners, plus lotions are gluten-free.

I also wrote to Zest and here is their email back to me.

Dear Stacie,

All of us here at High Ridge Brands want to thank you for choosing our products for your skin cleansing and haircare needs.  It is our goal to provide you with high-quality products at an affordable price that are safe for the whole family to use.

We are pleased to inform you that we do not test any of our products on animals.  The following products are gluten-free:

All White Rain shampoos and conditioners

All White Rain styling products

All Zest bar soap and body wash

All VO5 shampoos and conditioners (with the exception of: VO5 Salon Series Shampoo and Conditioners)

All VO5 styling products (with the exception of : VO5 Extra Body Hairspray  Gold Can, Hot Oil Therapy treatment, Hot Oil Shower Works, Salon Series Simply Stunning Leave in Conditioner, Salon Series Anti Frizz & Shine Styling Cream, Salon Series Total Recovery Hair Mask)

All Rave hairspray and styling products

All Coast bar soap and body wash

If you are still unsure about whether one of our products is gluten-free, please consult your physician prior to use.

Thank you again for your business.

Sincerely,

The High Ridge Brands Family

Hope this helps you out some..I'm still new at this also, I was diagnosed with Celiac in August 2013.