Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

JennaQ

What Would Be A Good Substitute For This?

Rate this topic

Whenever I get really sick, to the point where I can't possibly eat anything or I will throw up, or when I just feel that nauseous, for my entire life I have always just slowly chewed on some saltines and sipped some water. It was simple, and since I ate it slow, my body could grip onto it. No other cracker had those same "medicinal" qualities like that.

So now I am wondering, what am I to use now as a substitute? It was a combo of the crunch, the very bland flavor with the saltiness, that made it more appealing to a rejecting mouth to eat. What on earth could be a compatible cracker in these regards?

Thanks!

You might try some rice crackers. I forget the brand we usually get, but they're round and come in little a plastic tray with several rows. I think they're called "brown rice snaps" or something. If I remember the brand name, I'll come back later and post it. The tamari seaweed kind are excellent (though definitely not the right choice for an upset stomach), and the plain ones are boring but crunchy and absorbent.

I second the snyders gluten-free pretzels.  I will eat them when I have an upset stomach.  They are also great dipped in things, but they have that snackable quality that I can deal with when I am ill.  

After my endoscopy I found Snyder's gluten-free pretzels to fit this bill.  And I actually like them better than the gluten variety.

I have found the Snyder's gluten-free pretzels to be the best I have tasted.  They work good to use with dips, ham salad, chix salad, whatever.  They taste just like the regular wheat pretzels.  I think they are much better than the Glutino brand.

mommida, what is the symbol for Glutino? I found them listed as a product of AMF Brands, a privately held company.I would be interested in looking at their stock if they are publicly traded.