moosemalibu

Help! Severe "d" Don't Feel Glutened Though!

Rate this topic

I have developed severe diarrhea the past 2 days. It has coincided with a cold that I believe my boyfriend gave me. (He does not have any GI symptoms, however) We both called in sick Friday and have spent the last 2 nights in bed. We have not changed our diets and haven't brought anything new into the house that I know of that could have glutened me. I also don't have my tell-tale glutened signs which include insomnia, itchy scalp, and bloated belly. But the diarrhea is as severe as it can be (I'm sure you all know what I mean, but it's watery). 

I need to know what I can eat that will help. The typical BRAT diet doesn't seem to be working. Even rice has been going through me indigested. I take probiotics, digestive enzymes, multivitamins, etc.

Should I be drinking chicken broth? Eating specific foods?? I just want to get over this as quickly as possible. 

thanks

Sometimes, Its not about gluten. Sounds like you got a nice virus and it went to your gut. Sometimes, the best thing to do is only clear liquids ( Gatorade, water, flat ginger ale/ sprite, water) for 12-24 hours. Then add something bland and easy like a few bites of rice or a few bites of cooked apple or some banana. Wait.....maybe an hour or two and then a few more bites. I would stop the vitamins, too.

Remember - if you are taking birth control pills, they are going thru you at record speed, too. Meaning - I can name 5 or 6 ladies who have had babies because they took the pill during a severe diarrhea episode. We love babies around here but not until the mommy is ready! :)

Editing to add: looks like Immodium is gluten-free. And I don't need a response on the BC comment. Not my business but my job to remind people, as mom to people your age.

http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/list.htm

Thanks Karen! I don't think it is gluten either. I just want the best advice on how to combat the D. I have taken immodium today finally. I've had it with the bathroom trips! 

It is so hard not to eat. This girl never loses her appetite. I'll try the liquid idea but I don't know how I will deal with the 'hangry' if it starts!

And you did not ask but I'd like to offer it just because I am as worried about babies as you suggested - I have an IUD. No worries on that front. thanks! ;)

Thanks Karen! I don't think it is gluten either. I just want the best advice on how to combat the D. I have taken immodium today finally. I've had it with the bathroom trips! 

It is so hard not to eat. This girl never loses her appetite. I'll try the liquid idea but I don't know how I will deal with the 'hangry' if it starts!

And you did not ask but I'd like to offer it just because I am as worried about babies as you suggested - I have an IUD. No worries on that front. thanks! ;)

before you were born, I worked at a Children's hospital. When the kids got bad D or vomiting from a virus, the best thing to do was let the intestinal tract rest. No food, no excess liquid, nothing that required a lot of digesting. Once the problem isn't happening as much, add small amounts of food. If all goes well after 4-6 hours, eat a bit more each time.

Also, all those D attacks can be hard on your skin in " that area". Frequent shower rinses are good for your bottom comfort and relaxation.

Don't you love what we talk about here? Lol

before you were born, I worked at a Children's hospital. When the kids got bad D or vomiting from a virus, the best thing to do was let the intestinal tract rest. No food, no excess liquid, nothing that required a lot of digesting. Once the problem isn't happening as much, add small amounts of food. If all goes well after 4-6 hours, eat a bit more each time.

Also, all those D attacks can be hard on your skin in " that area". Frequent shower rinses are good for your bottom comfort and relaxation.

Don't you love what we talk about here? Lol

Haha.... our topics of conversation are always colorful, aren't they?! It doesn't bother me one bit. 

What is interesting though is how I know full well that I should be resting my GI tract. It is the same principle for animals as it is people (because we are animals, right) but when it is yourself all knowledge and common sense gets thrown out the window. I am sticking with the fluids for the night. But I am not happy about it. LOL

Haha.... our topics of conversation are always colorful, aren't they?! It doesn't bother me one bit. 

What is interesting though is how I know full well that I should be resting my GI tract. It is the same principle for animals as it is people (because we are animals, right) but when it is yourself all knowledge and common sense gets thrown out the window. I am sticking with the fluids for the night. But I am not happy about it. LOL

Well.. Its bedtime. Have some water and go to sleep. That will give it a 6-10 hour rest ( hopefully ).

Well.. Its bedtime. Have some water and go to sleep. That will give it a 6-10 hour rest ( hopefully ).

16 hours of fasting. Ate a banana and a few gluten-free crackers. We'll see how it goes. No bathroom trips yet.

16 hours of fasting. Ate a banana and a few gluten-free crackers. We'll see how it goes. No bathroom trips yet.

Ugh! You children! Momma said clear liquids first and then a couple of little bites!

Hope you feel better soon! :)

Ugh! You children! Momma said clear liquids first and then a couple of little bites!

Hope you feel better soon! :)

Fasting was easier than little bites! I'm trying! I am feeling a bit better today but no BM yet. I think the fasting with immodium has slowed it down.  

Perhaps you might have reached bowel tolerance of magnesium, or vitamin C if you are taking them.

D

I stopped all supplements as Karen advised. I don't take extra magnesium or vitamin C, just whatever is in my multivitamin. The only prescription I have is Vitamin D that I take once a week (Monday).