Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

javic

How Long Before Your Mood Symptoms Of Glutening Take To Kick In?

Rate this topic

For those who suffer from mood or behavioural effects after eating gluten, how long after eating gluten does your mood start to change? Also, what kind of mood symptoms are they and how long do they last?

My son is coeliac and has only mood/behavioural symptoms and I'm curious how it affects others with similar symptoms.

Everyone is different.  I've only been gluten-free for a little over 3 months and had my first accidental glutening about 10 days ago.  It happened on a Sunday.  That night I got the hot/cold, shaking, feeling like food-poisoning stuff.  By Tuesday the only residual effect was depression, fatigue and brain fog.  It lifted on Friday.

Since I have had to go gluten free, I made the whole house, gluten free.  I have 2 children I suspected were in need of it as well and that is enough to make the whole house gluten-free, in the process I discovered that another child, when he has gluten is a little ADHD within an hour and it will last for days.  Is this what you were asking?  He is a better student, brother, and son with gluten out of his system.  The other two, one gets a rash (psoriasis? or DM) on his feet and legs, we have not taken him to a dermatologist, since we discovered that no gluten no rash, we just keep him away from gluten.  It was a puzzling rash to his pediatrician, for a long time we thought it was fire ants, he called it an allergy to something and we tried to pin it down, over TWO years.  Gluten left the house and the rash left my son, we tested the theory by giving him a donut, and the rash came back within 4 days.  Does any of this help you?

I get severe anxiety and am extremely irritable.  My poor husband- I just tell him to leave me be at those moments.  My reaction time was 3 hours the first time and seems to have settled in around 6 hours now.  All my symptoms come at once and last for a few hours.  Unfortunately, there are some lingering GI and skin issues afterwards that take about a week to dissipate.  

As someone said earlier, we're all different.  But sometimes it helps to have a bunch of first hand accounts, especially when you can pick out some similarities with others.  It makes me feel better to know I'm not alone.

After 5 months being accident free I was 'glutened' last night. Cross contamination I suspect.

In the past I accidentally ate gluten on average every 10 days. Reactions were immediate.and strong.

This time, 5 months since my last accident, reaction took 14 hours to kick in. Lots of physical issues but mentally: feeling blue, irritable, saying inappropriate things without thinking, not being able to construct a sentence properly either verbally or typing. Feeling slightly 'unstable' emotionally - being super happy one minute and taking things personally the next. Not able to say what I mean.

I expect over the next week or so to be very blue, anxious, obsessive and irritable. it'll clear up by February hopefully.

Hope this helps!

Yeah, I get the anxiety bad. It's one of the symptoms I could do without. It kicks in a day or two after and tends to last a couple for me (if I have an anxiety attack in the process, it takes a while to recover from that).

But everyone is different, and people's reactions change over time. One thing about it is if your son is acting unusually irritable, you might suspect if he got glutened. Of course, we all have good days and bad days regardless.

Good luck!