Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

massagemamaof3

Gluten Withdrawal

I've looked through a bunch of threads and can't really find one current or concerning kids. My daughter has been gluten free for 4 weeks now since her endoscopy and DX. For the last week or so she has been complaining about feeling tired and sluggish and not herself. Could this be withdrawal or could it be a sign of being glutened?  She was asymptomatic before so I don't know what to expect with her not eating it or accidentally eating it.   

My daughter was 4 at diagnosis and had gluten withdrawal for a couple of weeks, even though her digestive and sensory symptoms had pretty much immediate improvement. She was very grumpy but was too young to really explain how she felt mentally, so I'm not sure if it was a brain fog type of feeling or something else. It was helpful that she always had clear stomach pain after eating gluten, so were were confident that it was withdrawal and not accidental glutening because she had no pain. I don't remember exactly when the withdrawal passed, but I think it was gone after about three weeks.

I guess it's hard to be sure, but if your daughter suddenly started feeling worse several weeks after diagnosis, I'd suspect glutening rather than withdrawal. My daughter's withdrawal and my own both started a few days after going gluten free (not weeks later). But who knows - it must be really hard to tell what's going on if she didn't have obvious symptoms before.

Yep, I would check for cross-contamination or other intolerances. Withdrawal doesn't usually start that late and it only lasts a couple of weeks.

Have you read the Newbie 101 thread in the coping section? If not, check it out. It could just be something as simple as someone double dipping in the butter.

I have, she has her own butter in her own brand new rubbermaid. I'm probably not as strict as I should be. We are meeting with her nutritionist next week, maybe she will be able to help me with if she should be taking vitamins or probiotics or anything.  A month after her dx I kind of feel like her GI Dr, just kind of gave us a result and set me a drift.