Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

txgal748

Silent Celiac No More!

Rate this topic

I have been gluten free for 1 year 7 months and 19 days. In all this time I have been glutened twice. The second time was last night. I decided to eat pulled pork at a restaurant without asking if it was gluten-free. I woke up at 2 AM and I felt like I had eaten 10 lbs. of pulled pork. Grrrrr. It turns out that the pulled pork is the only meat they serve with gluten. So this is the first time I have ever been bloated. I guess from now on I will probably have digestive issues if I get glutened. I'm not posting to complain but I know there are others out there wondering about this.

Thanks for listening.

I was diagnosed as a silent celiac also.   In retrospect, this was not true (but there was no association at the time) as I had weak tooth enamel and nails, several miscarriages, eczema - all these can be attributed to the disease. 

Since my diagnosis nearly three years ago, I have been glutened only a few times as well (that I know of!) but twice in the past several months I got quite ill, spaced out, irritable and headachey.  Yet once I drank tea with gluten in it (how did I miss "wheat"?) and nothing happened.  It was likely only a trace but still.  For some symptoms vary from time to time; for others, they remain the same. 

You are right - once a silent celiac, not always a silent celiac!  Thanks for sharing your experience.