Rate this topic

Hi. I'm seeing mixed information on this. I know I could make my own seasoning, but my husband bought this, so I'd like to know.

On one hand, I'm seeing that Ortega follows clear labeling practicing and would call out any gluten ingredients explicitly, but on he parent company's website (b &g foods) it's not listed as gluten free.

Anyone know?

If they have a list of things that are gluten-free, and that is not on the list, unless it is a brand new product that they haven't had a chance to put on there yet, probably means it is not gluten-free.

I would read the ingredients.  Wheat, which is sometimes added to taco or chili seasoning, must be listed in the ingredients.  With the new laws going into effect, a lot of companies won't list things as gluten-free if they haven't tested them.  Doesn't mean they aren't gluten free - just that the company isn't going to spend the extra time and money on testing.

I have found that taco and chili seasonings have the same spices but taco often has extra odd stuff - maybe to make it stickier?  I will use Williams chili seasoning in place of taco seasoning.