This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Diagnosed With 'gluten Sensitivity' & Gastritis. Help!

DogWalkerNYC

DogWalkerNYC Apprentice

Really need some help. Several years ago I self-diagnosed myself with some sort of gluten issue after my stomach pain and reflux responded to a gluten-free diet. But I've been binge eating (gluten and non-gluten) on and off since then and totally out of control due to some stressful situations in my business, and the pain has come and gone accordingly.

I just had my yearly colonoscopy and endoscopy. The result is I have very bad diverticulosis (not diverticulitis - the infection) on both sides of my intestines. My GI doc said it's usually only on 1 side. He also told me I have moderate gastritis. He did several biopsies that showed I do not have celiac disease. He diagnosed me with a gluten sensitivity.

The reflux from several years ago seems to have resolved even when I gluten myself but the pain in my stomach area (between breasts and belly button) almost makes me cry. It's a burning, bloating ache, like eating too much junk at the circus when I was a kid. When I have this pain even clothing touching my stomach is painful. In addition to the stomach pain my eyes burn, I feel weak and all I want to do is lay down and cry.

I bought a juicer and have been juicing a 'mean green': organic kale, celery, cucumber, green apple, ginger root, lemon. I also juice organic carrots. As I drink the juice it feels (and tastes) amazing and it feels like it's coating my stomach and the pain eventually resolves.

If I stick to a gluten-free diet, and by that I mean single-ingredient foods (fruits, veggies, organic fish, etc.) I think I would be pain-free. I also take Barleans Oil and turmeric, both for inflammation, which is what gastritis is. I was told NOT to eat processed foods labeled 'Gluten-Free' because they contain ingredients that are not as healthy as the single-ingredient foods mentioned above.

I bought some organic bananas yesterday and had one several hours ago. I am so sick now as I type this that I can't think straight!!!! I did a search for 'are bananas gluten free' and found the info below on www.glutenhatesme.com:

Bananas contain a protein called lectin, which is also found in many of the “night shade” foods that some people with Celiac or gluten intolerance have trouble with. Lectin is somewhat similar to gluten and can create an autoimmune response. This is due to the body confusing lectin with gluten.  Some researchers even speculate that gluten sensitivity is actually a lectin allergy that was previously unknown. I also found that many of the foods, including bananas, have been processed with GMOs which can contain lectin and can cause gluten-like symptoms.

I am going to try the Paleo diet and keep a close eye on every single thing I eat. I appreciate the opportunity to post this and would love any and all feedback and support.

Thanks very much.

Laura

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

sweetie.  put on the brakes.  eat simple and keep a food journal.  try some protein (chicken, beef, pork, fish) with some salt & pepper, maybe rice, some cooked vege.,  let your system settle.  food journal is so helpful, just document every thing that you ingest and your body's reaction.  for right now, try to eat the same things if they don't bother you, then add in things.  soooo important to document and analyze the co-relation to what you are eating to what you feel like.  ps - i couldn't eat bananas until i was (this year) 3 years gluten free,.  if you think gluten is your problem, it is a forever thing........try taking  probiotics, maybe that will help, too.

welcome to the forum and good luck :)

Adalaide Mentor

Whether it is celiac or a gluten intolerance, until a person's system has had time to settle down and begin healing it is not at all uncommon to have completely random reactions to anything and everything under the sun for seemingly no reason at all. Maybe it'll be months or years (or never) until you can eat bananas, or maybe it was a one time thing. I second the idea of a food journal to keep track of what bothers you more than once, and avoid those things. Three and only three things contain gluten, wheat, barley and rye, although oats are weird and some people have issues with even the certified ones. (which are the only ones you should even consider, and not until you're feeling better)

Going whole foods is already on the right track, and hopefully now you can buckle down and take being gluten free seriously enough to do what is right for your health so you can feel better. No one likes being miserable all the time, and it sounds like you were. Being gluten free is something that takes resolve and determination, but as long as you stick to it this time, you can feel better.

DogWalkerNYC Apprentice

Thank you both so much. The stomach pain was so bad last night I couldn't sleep. I finally fell asleep some time after 4am (last time I looked at the clock). I woke up feeling better. I took 2 150mg Zantac on an empty stomach as prescribed by my GI doctor and 15 minutes later I juiced 2 lbs of organic carrots, added 1 tsp Barleans flax oil and slowly drank the juice. As of this moment I have no pain and am starting to feel hungry, which is a good sign. Normally I would reach for an organic banana but not today. Nor will I reach for the organic strawberries in the fridge because I read berries are not good when you have gastritis. I am starting the food journal you both suggested. Thank you again for your help and support.

Archived