ryo

5.5 Months gluten-free And Starting To See Issues Again

Rate this topic

hi,

my daughter was diagnosed with celiac in august.  our home is 99% gluten-free (my husband still keeps some beer in the house) and for the first 5 months she did great.  we had a few miss-steps where she was glutened and we were always able to pin point what had happened (eating out once, and another time i bought the wrong bread and gave it to her, not my best moment!).

for the last few weeks she has been showing symptoms again.  she is not eating, super moody/emotional, red rings around her eyes, always sleepy.  the symptoms are not as strong as they were before she was gluten-free or the same as the two times that we know she got glutened. i can not figure out anything that is causing the issues and honestly i don't know if i am just going crazy ;)  we are set to go back for her 6 month check-up towards the end of feb. and i am wondering if i should try to have her seen sooner.

my question for all of you is...

did you ever see the issues return and not be able to pin point the issue?

do you think maybe she is having reactions to another food?

thank you for any insight you may have!

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

how old is this child? remember, not everything is gluten related.

she is 5 years old and we have been trying to figure out if it is something else going on with her.  it is the level of being worn out connected with the not eating that really has me worried.  it could just be a normal development stage and it has gotten so hard for us to separate the two issues.  

Any possibility it may be art supplies or something else in school if she's in school?

Sorry you're dealing with this.

Playdoh?

Could it be medicines, vitamins or supplements? They can contain gluten as a filler.

Could she be anemic?

Maybe try going grain free for a whileto see if that helps. Most grains that are naturally gluten-free often contain cc gluten that can affect people.

A naturopath could help get a blood test to look for food intolerances.

Good luck!

Ads by Google:

Maybe try going grain free for a whileto see if that helps. Most grains that are naturally gluten-free often contain cc gluten that can affect people.

A naturopath could help get a blood test to look for food intolerances.

Can you site your source of your statement "naturally gluten free are often CC'ed"?  I've been reading and dealing with this for my child for  4+ years now and haven't found this to be so. Oats are often an issue but things like rice and other grains are most often fine.

I feel for you! It's so hard to see your kid with no energy and no appetite. Have you called the pediatrician or GI? I'm so very new to celiac that I really don't know how long it takes to clear gluten, but after 6 months, maybe  you are right that it is worth investigating other food issues, other autoimmune issues that run with celiac, and other totally unrelated medical issues (even while you continue to ferret out possible cc as mentioned above). Or, like you said, it could just be a developmental phase.

I'm such a celiac newbie that I don't have useful advice to offer, but it seems like it is worth running your concerns past a doctor. I think your instincts about bumping up the late February appointment are sound.

I would also try to bump up the appointment. If they're booked solid, maybe they could at least give you the lab slip to get the follow-up bloodwork done sooner, which might help sort out whether it's a cc issue or something else. They could call with the results even if you can't get in to see the doctor until late February. If this is the first bloodwork since diagnosis they'd need to run more than just the tTG, though, since you'd probably only have one previous test to compare it to. (I discovered this the hard way - my daughter's GI only orders tTG for follow-up, but not the DGP tests, which may have helped us distinguish between ongoing gluten exposure and just taking more than six months to decrease to a normal tTG level.)

My daughter was diagnosed 7 months ago, and I've also noticed a return of some of her symptoms lately, for no apparent reason. I can't be sure whether there's a real difference or I'm just imagining it. I'm hoping it's something simple, like perhaps low vitamin D, since we've been forced indoors by extreme cold for most of the last three weeks! (She was low on D at diagnosis despite lots of time outdoors, so even with supplements now it may still be low - doctors haven't retested it yet.) I hope your daughter feels better soon.

Have you tried eliminating dairy? That would be the first place to start.

thank you all for your thoughts.  i did call her GI doctor a few days ago.  today we had all of her blood work done and are now waiting results.  over the past 6 months she has gained 1 pound and grown 1 inch.  based on the growth chart she has actually fallen further off her curve.  i know i need to keep this all in perspective but with the way she feels right now it was a hard fact to hear.

we have gone through everything in our kitchen and evaluated all sources of contamination.  right now the only thing we can really see as any option is her vitamins. please know i am not saying this is the cause of her getting gluten it just the only place we can really see room for error.  the brand she takes recently changed labels.  with this label change they removed "gluten free". i called the company when the change happened and they assured me they were still gluten free and it was just a design change.  i bought it at the time (about three weeks ago). but the last few days i went back to them and did some more research.  it turns out it was a change to how they are made but they still insist they are gluten free.  what doesn't sit well with us is why in the world would you remove gluten free from a kids vitamin based on design.  it seems fishy and that is enough of a reason for us to stop using them.  again i am not saying with any proof that this is the cause but it's all i can really try eliminating right now.

today we tested for food allergies, vit. d, iron levels, along with the other test she already had planned for next month.  now we wait and do our very best to get her back on track.

thank you again for all your thoughts!  very, very helpful. 

Ads by Google:

Many companies are taking the "gluten free" label off things because of the new government standard they are implementing. Companies aren't suppose to make the claim if they can't back it up even if there are no gluten ingredients in it. It may be worth getting test strips to see about the Vits. but they are very pricy.  That is how we found out a brand of mustard was an issue for us.

Have you seen an endocrinologist?  Tested for thyroid issues and nutritional levels and vits? I think I would start there. Between the way she's feeling and the growth issues that would be where I would start really.  DS is still very small but he did sprout a bit after we figured out he had a thyroid issue after his Celiac tests were coming back all over the place.  

Allergy testing is HIGHLY inaccurate.  Nothing you have said yells allergy to me so I'm not sure why that is even being tested for.  I would be highly suspicious of any allergy testing baed on what you have said.  

the test strips are a great idea!  at this point i would love to have the help identifying if we have a gluten issue.

we are working closely with an endocrinologist.  when this all started she also had a low hormone level that was cause for further investigation.  at the same time her thyroid was tested and it appears to be in good shape.  i asked about retesting this time and we decided to wait to look into that at this point.  what i am having a hard time accepting is that she was doing so great for 5 months then all of the sudden it went down hill again (and quickly).  her growth has been very slow so that could be enough of an indication that something over then celiac is going on.  at this point so hard to know!  really looking forward to the blood test coming back next week so we can start to sort through the info.

yes, allergy testing is a crazy road to go down.  my doctor spent a bunch of time talking about how inaccurate the testing can be and how you really have to dig much deeper to evaluate if you are having a food allergy.  i guess it is like all the rest of this… testing, playing with food, waiting ;)  i am hoping it is not a another food allergy but we need to keep our eyes open for all possibilities. 

i am thrilled about this...

"Many companies are taking the "gluten free" label off things because of the new government standard they are implementing. Companies aren't suppose to make the claim if they can't back it up even if there are no gluten ingredients in it."

if they can't back it up i don't want to feed it to my daughter! i know it will make it harder for companies to offer us gluten-free options but at least we will be able to trust the label more.

I second the oat comment.   10% of Celiacs can't handle oats, my LO included.   The reaction certainly isn't as obvious, but is definitely a problem. 

I just hate it when kids have to go thru stuff! I hope you find the problem. Hopefully you find it soon.

Hi Ryo,

Have you made a list of anything that may have changed in her diet since before the problems started?  I imagine you have done that, but it is easy to miss something in my experience.  So another review might be helpful.  The most likely source of a gluten ingredient slipping in is in processed foods or products like vitamins, meds, drinks.  Those are the first things to look at as the potential source.

YES We had improvement on a gluten free diet and then had "gluten symptoms" flare up again.

My daughter was diagnosed with Celiac when she was 15 months old.  Things went great on a gluten free diet until 5 1/2 years old she was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitis when she turned 6.  There is now a known link between Celiac and EE.  (an important note about EE and testing for EE ~ 1. the doctor must order the pathologist to test the sample for eosinophils.(red dye and counts) 2. Once the immune system activates eosinophils, they can keep harming healthy tissue for 12 days. 3. There is strong evidence that proves seasonal airborne allergens "trigger" eosinophil production ((this is important to remember for scoping for the eosinophil damage.  My daughter has been scoped in December~ the damage was there from late summer early fall allergens.  She was scoped in January ~ no damage present or eosinophils present.  She was on an elimination diet that removed all top 8 allergens and peas; and the deep freeze and deep snow covered any ragweed or plant pollens.  YOU MAY NOT GET A PROPER DIAGNOSES DEPENDING ON THE SEASON.

When we brought her back in for testing there is a list of disorders/diseases that present with "celiac like" symptoms that can be ruled in or out with an endoscopy with biopsy.  So you might have to consider having another scope done.

such as...

H. Ployri

parasites

congenital defect

eosinophilic disorders (eosinophil damage can be in any part of gastro tract)

Celiac disease that does get better on a gluten free diet/ Celiac sprue

another food intolerance

even the belly distention can be hiding a hernia

the list goes on and on......

Keep a journal of diet, activities, symptoms until your appointment.  It will help track down other food intolerances and help you become more knowledgable should you have to avoid any other foods.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 903 Guests (See full list)

• Top Posters +

• Recent Articles

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/16/2018 - Summer is the time for chips and salsa. This fresh salsa recipe relies on cabbage, yes, cabbage, as a secret ingredient. The cabbage brings a delicious flavor and helps the salsa hold together nicely for scooping with your favorite chips. The result is a fresh, tasty salsa that goes great with guacamole.
    Ingredients:
    3 cups ripe fresh tomatoes, diced 1 cup shredded green cabbage ½ cup diced yellow onion ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro 1 jalapeno, seeded 1 Serrano pepper, seeded 2 tablespoons lemon juice 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar 2 garlic cloves, minced salt to taste black pepper, to taste Directions:
    Purée all ingredients together in a blender.
    Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 
    Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, as desired. 
    Serve is a bowl with tortilla chips and guacamole.

Dr. Ron Hoggan, Ed.D.
    Celiac.com 06/15/2018 - There seems to be widespread agreement in the published medical research reports that stuttering is driven by abnormalities in the brain. Sometimes these are the result of brain injuries resulting from a stroke. Other types of brain injuries can also result in stuttering. Patients with Parkinson’s disease who were treated with stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus, an area of the brain that regulates some motor functions, experienced a return or worsening of stuttering that improved when the stimulation was turned off (1). Similarly, stroke has also been reported in association with acquired stuttering (2). While there are some reports of psychological mechanisms underlying stuttering, a majority of reports seem to favor altered brain morphology and/or function as the root of stuttering (3). Reports of structural differences between the brain hemispheres that are absent in those who do not stutter are also common (4). About 5% of children stutter, beginning sometime around age 3, during the phase of speech acquisition. However, about 75% of these cases resolve without intervention, before reaching their teens (5). Some cases of aphasia, a loss of speech production or understanding, have been reported in association with damage or changes to one or more of the language centers of the brain (6). Stuttering may sometimes arise from changes or damage to these same language centers (7). Thus, many stutterers have abnormalities in the same regions of the brain similar to those seen in aphasia.
    So how, you may ask, is all this related to gluten? As a starting point, one report from the medical literature identifies a patient who developed aphasia after admission for severe diarrhea. By the time celiac disease was diagnosed, he had completely lost his faculty of speech. However, his speech and normal bowel function gradually returned after beginning a gluten free diet (8). This finding was so controversial at the time of publication (1988) that the authors chose to remain anonymous. Nonetheless, it is a valuable clue that suggests gluten as a factor in compromised speech production. At about the same time (late 1980’s) reports of connections between untreated celiac disease and seizures/epilepsy were emerging in the medical literature (9).
    With the advent of the Internet a whole new field of anecdotal information was emerging, connecting a variety of neurological symptoms to celiac disease. While many medical practitioners and researchers were casting aspersions on these assertions, a select few chose to explore such claims using scientific research designs and methods. While connections between stuttering and gluten consumption seem to have been overlooked by the medical research community, there is a rich literature on the Internet that cries out for more structured investigation of this connection. Conversely, perhaps a publication bias of the peer review process excludes work that explores this connection.
    Whatever the reason that stuttering has not been reported in the medical literature in association with gluten ingestion, a number of personal disclosures and comments suggesting a connection between gluten and stuttering can be found on the Internet. Abid Hussain, in an article about food allergy and stuttering said: “The most common food allergy prevalent in stutterers is that of gluten which has been found to aggravate the stutter” (10). Similarly, Craig Forsythe posted an article that includes five cases of self-reporting individuals who believe that their stuttering is or was connected to gluten, one of whom also experiences stuttering from foods containing yeast (11). The same site contains one report of a stutterer who has had no relief despite following a gluten free diet for 20 years (11). Another stutterer, Jay88, reports the complete disappearance of her/his stammer on a gluten free diet (12). Doubtless there are many more such anecdotes to be found on the Internet* but we have to question them, exercising more skepticism than we might when reading similar claims in a peer reviewed scientific or medical journal.
    There are many reports in such journals connecting brain and neurological ailments with gluten, so it is not much of a stretch, on that basis alone, to suspect that stuttering may be a symptom of the gluten syndrome. Rodney Ford has even characterized celiac disease as an ailment that may begin through gluten-induced neurological damage (13) and Marios Hadjivassiliou and his group of neurologists and neurological investigators have devoted considerable time and effort to research that reveals gluten as an important factor in a majority of neurological diseases of unknown origin (14) which, as I have pointed out previously, includes most neurological ailments.
    My own experience with stuttering is limited. I stuttered as a child when I became nervous, upset, or self-conscious. Although I have been gluten free for many years, I haven’t noticed any impact on my inclination to stutter when upset. I don’t know if they are related, but I have also had challenges with speaking when distressed and I have noticed a substantial improvement in this area since removing gluten from my diet. Nonetheless, I have long wondered if there is a connection between gluten consumption and stuttering. Having done the research for this article, I would now encourage stutterers to try a gluten free diet for six months to see if it will reduce or eliminate their stutter. Meanwhile, I hope that some investigator out there will research this matter, publish her findings, and start the ball rolling toward getting some definitive answers to this question.
    Sources:
    1. Toft M, Dietrichs E. Aggravated stuttering following subthalamic deep brain stimulation in Parkinson’s disease--two cases. BMC Neurol. 2011 Apr 8;11:44.
    2. Tani T, Sakai Y. Stuttering after right cerebellar infarction: a case study. J Fluency Disord. 2010 Jun;35(2):141-5. Epub 2010 Mar 15.
    3. Lundgren K, Helm-Estabrooks N, Klein R. Stuttering Following Acquired Brain Damage: A Review of the Literature. J Neurolinguistics. 2010 Sep 1;23(5):447-454.
    4. Jäncke L, Hänggi J, Steinmetz H. Morphological brain differences between adult stutterers and non-stutterers. BMC Neurol. 2004 Dec 10;4(1):23.
    5. Kell CA, Neumann K, von Kriegstein K, Posenenske C, von Gudenberg AW, Euler H, Giraud AL. How the brain repairs stuttering. Brain. 2009 Oct;132(Pt 10):2747-60. Epub 2009 Aug 26.
    6. Galantucci S, Tartaglia MC, Wilson SM, Henry ML, Filippi M, Agosta F, Dronkers NF, Henry RG, Ogar JM, Miller BL, Gorno-Tempini ML. White matter damage in primary progressive aphasias: a diffusion tensor tractography study. Brain. 2011 Jun 11.
    7. Lundgren K, Helm-Estabrooks N, Klein R. Stuttering Following Acquired Brain Damage: A Review of the Literature. J Neurolinguistics. 2010 Sep 1;23(5):447-454.
    8. [No authors listed] Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Weekly clinicopathological exercises. Case 43-1988. A 52-year-old man with persistent watery diarrhea and aphasia. N Engl J Med. 1988 Oct 27;319(17):1139-48
    9. Molteni N, Bardella MT, Baldassarri AR, Bianchi PA. Celiac disease associated with epilepsy and intracranial calcifications: report of two patients. Am J Gastroenterol. 1988 Sep;83(9):992-4.
    10. http://ezinearticles.com/?Food-Allergy-and-Stuttering-Link&id=1235725 
    11. http://www.craig.copperleife.com/health/stuttering_allergies.htm 
    12. https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/73362-any-help-is-appreciated/
    13. Ford RP. The gluten syndrome: a neurological disease. Med Hypotheses. 2009 Sep;73(3):438-40. Epub 2009 Apr 29.
    14. Hadjivassiliou M, Gibson A, Davies-Jones GA, Lobo AJ, Stephenson TJ, Milford-Ward A. Does cryptic gluten sensitivity play a part in neurological illness? Lancet. 1996 Feb 10;347(8998):369-71.

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/14/2018 - Refractory celiac disease type II (RCDII) is a rare complication of celiac disease that has high death rates. To diagnose RCDII, doctors identify a clonal population of phenotypically aberrant intraepithelial lymphocytes (IELs). 
    However, researchers really don’t have much data regarding the frequency and significance of clonal T cell receptor (TCR) gene rearrangements (TCR-GRs) in small bowel (SB) biopsies of patients without RCDII. Such data could provide useful comparison information for patients with RCDII, among other things.
    To that end, a research team recently set out to try to get some information about the frequency and importance of clonal T cell receptor (TCR) gene rearrangements (TCR-GRs) in small bowel (SB) biopsies of patients without RCDII. The research team included Shafinaz Hussein, Tatyana Gindin, Stephen M Lagana, Carolina Arguelles-Grande, Suneeta Krishnareddy, Bachir Alobeid, Suzanne K Lewis, Mahesh M Mansukhani, Peter H R Green, and Govind Bhagat.
    They are variously affiliated with the Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, and the Department of Medicine at the Celiac Disease Center, New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, New York, USA. Their team analyzed results of TCR-GR analyses performed on SB biopsies at our institution over a 3-year period, which were obtained from eight active celiac disease, 172 celiac disease on gluten-free diet, 33 RCDI, and three RCDII patients and 14 patients without celiac disease. 
    Clonal TCR-GRs are not infrequent in cases lacking features of RCDII, while PCPs are frequent in all disease phases. TCR-GR results should be assessed in conjunction with immunophenotypic, histological and clinical findings for appropriate diagnosis and classification of RCD.
    The team divided the TCR-GR patterns into clonal, polyclonal and prominent clonal peaks (PCPs), and correlated these patterns with clinical and pathological features. In all, they detected clonal TCR-GR products in biopsies from 67% of patients with RCDII, 17% of patients with RCDI and 6% of patients with gluten-free diet. They found PCPs in all disease phases, but saw no significant difference in the TCR-GR patterns between the non-RCDII disease categories (p=0.39). 
    They also noted a higher frequency of surface CD3(−) IELs in cases with clonal TCR-GR, but the PCP pattern showed no associations with any clinical or pathological feature. 
    Repeat biopsy showed that the clonal or PCP pattern persisted for up to 2 years with no evidence of RCDII. The study indicates that better understanding of clonal T cell receptor gene rearrangements may help researchers improve refractory celiac diagnosis. 
    Source:
    Journal of Clinical Pathologyhttp://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jclinpath-2018-205023

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/13/2018 - There have been numerous reports that olmesartan, aka Benicar, seems to trigger sprue‐like enteropathy in many patients, but so far, studies have produced mixed results, and there really hasn’t been a rigorous study of the issue. A team of researchers recently set out to assess whether olmesartan is associated with a higher rate of enteropathy compared with other angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARBs).
    The research team included Y.‐H. Dong; Y. Jin; TN Tsacogianis; M He; PH Hsieh; and JJ Gagne. They are variously affiliated with the Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston, MA, USA; the Faculty of Pharmacy, School of Pharmaceutical Science at National Yang‐Ming University in Taipei, Taiwan; and the Department of Hepato‐Gastroenterology, Chi Mei Medical Center in Tainan, Taiwan.
    To get solid data on the issue, the team conducted a cohort study among ARB initiators in 5 US claims databases covering numerous health insurers. They used Cox regression models to estimate hazard ratios (HRs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs) for enteropathy‐related outcomes, including celiac disease, malabsorption, concomitant diagnoses of diarrhea and weight loss, and non‐infectious enteropathy. In all, they found nearly two million eligible patients. 
    They then assessed those patients and compared the results for olmesartan initiators to initiators of other ARBs after propensity score (PS) matching. They found unadjusted incidence rates of 0.82, 1.41, 1.66 and 29.20 per 1,000 person‐years for celiac disease, malabsorption, concomitant diagnoses of diarrhea and weight loss, and non‐infectious enteropathy respectively. 
    After PS matching comparing olmesartan to other ARBs, hazard ratios were 1.21 (95% CI, 1.05‐1.40), 1.00 (95% CI, 0.88‐1.13), 1.22 (95% CI, 1.10‐1.36) and 1.04 (95% CI, 1.01‐1.07) for each outcome. Patients aged 65 years and older showed greater hazard ratios for celiac disease, as did patients receiving treatment for more than 1 year, and patients receiving higher cumulative olmesartan doses.
    This is the first comprehensive multi‐database study to document a higher rate of enteropathy in olmesartan initiators as compared to initiators of other ARBs, though absolute rates were low for both groups.
    Source:
    Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/12/2018 - A life-long gluten-free diet is the only proven treatment for celiac disease. However, current methods for assessing gluten-free diet compliance are lack the sensitivity to detect occasional dietary transgressions that may cause gut mucosal damage. So, basically, there’s currently no good way to tell if celiac patients are suffering gut damage from low-level gluten contamination.
    A team of researchers recently set out to develop a method to determine gluten intake and monitor gluten-free dietary compliance in patients with celiac disease, and to determine its correlation with mucosal damage. The research team included ML Moreno, Á Cebolla, A Muñoz-Suano, C Carrillo-Carrion, I Comino, Á Pizarro, F León, A Rodríguez-Herrera, and C Sousa. They are variously affiliated with Facultad de Farmacia, Departamento de Microbiología y Parasitología, Universidad de Sevilla, Sevilla, Spain; Biomedal S.L., Sevilla, Spain; Unidad Clínica de Aparato Digestivo, Hospital Universitario Virgen del Rocío, Sevilla, Spain; Celimmune, Bethesda, Maryland, USA; and the Unidad de Gastroenterología y Nutrición, Instituto Hispalense de Pediatría, Sevilla, Spain.
    For their study, the team collected urine samples from 76 healthy subjects and 58 patients with celiac disease subjected to different gluten dietary conditions. To quantify gluten immunogenic peptides in solid-phase extracted urines, the team used a lateral flow test (LFT) with the highly sensitive and specific G12 monoclonal antibody for the most dominant GIPs and an LFT reader. 
    They detected GIPs in concentrated urines from healthy individuals previously subjected to gluten-free diet as early as 4-6 h after single gluten intake, and for 1-2 days afterward. The urine test showed gluten ingestion in about 50% of patients. Biopsy analysis showed that nearly 9 out of 10 celiac patients with no villous atrophy had no detectable GIP in urine, while all patients with quantifiable GIP in urine showed signs of gut damage.
    The ability to use GIP in urine to reveal gluten consumption will likely help lead to new and non-invasive methods for monitoring gluten-free diet compliance. The test is sensitive, specific and simple enough for clinical monitoring of celiac patients, as well as for basic and clinical research applications including drug development.
    Source:
    Gut. 2017 Feb;66(2):250-257.  doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2015-310148.