This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Would A Little Salt Hurt?

Aquadan005

Aquadan005 Rookie

So far I have tried about 5 different snack crackers and I have yet to find one that tastes good. None of them seem to have any salt in them as they are very bland. One of my guilty pleasures was a sleeve of Ritz crackers and a 16oz. bar of SHARP cheddar cheese, OH YUM!! I tried the Glutino brand cheddar flavored crackers, I think they forgot to put the cheddar in the batter, and these too seem to lack any hint of salt. Schar makes something akin to goldfish which I tried tonight, very little cheddar flavor and again not a hint of salt. At least the first ones I tried (the shiny poker chips) had some flavor.  <_< On a bright note I found a can of Progresso Potato, Broccoli and cheese soup today and it was very good. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Try the Van's cheese cracker. Look like Cheezits-taste like goldfish.

LauraTX Rising Star

I second the Van's cheese crackers.  My favorite when I eat crackers.  Other ones you may like are the gluten-free Breton crackers- they are really good, large and round good for putting things like cheese on them, dunno about a whole pound, though :P  Goldfish puffs are gluten-free, they have that good intense artificially cheesy flavor, like a cross between cheetos and goldfish.  They are in a big bag versus the regular goldfish packaging.

Adalaide Mentor

Breton. Totally Breton. They have the texture very like a Ritz cracker (no, I'm not messing with you and I didn't forget what a Ritz is really like in 2 years) and have amazing flavor. I eat them all the time with cheese and meat. I have a box next to my desk so I grabbed one out and while there isn't a ton of salt, if I hold it up in the light I can see the salt crystals glittering. While they could sort of stand a teensy bit more salt, you don't notice the lack when you're having it with cheese because the cheese more than makes up for it. They're also plenty good on their own too.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I am a fan of the vans cheese crackers as well. They are really good with some cream cheese as a dip.

GFinDC Veteran

Mission corn tortillas.  They make triangluar ones and also round ones.

LauraTX Rising Star

Yeah, making plain cheese nachos is pretty easy.  Just throw down some gluten-free corn chips (easy to find) and put some cheese on top and nuke them for 30 sec at a time til melted.  That would definitely satisfy the salt and cheese craving, although I like my nachos with meat, beans, guac, and salsa, too! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

There's a brand of cracker called 'Absolutely Gluten Free', they're made from tapioca and

potato starch so they're actually entirely grain free. I find the texture to be like a Saltines,

and they definitely have some salt on top, I really like them!

Nick-incollege Rookie

try rice thins. (they're made by the same people as wheat thins) and are pretty great! gluten free too and made in a seperate dedicated facility. the cheddar ones are great, id eat them if i wasnt celiac

Aquadan005 Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions, I hope to find and try them all.

mbrookes Community Regular

Fake Ritz crackers:

Put melted butter in a spray bottle. Lightly spray Glutino cheese crackers. Sprinkle with a little salt. Bake in a medium hot oven a few minutes (don't brown). This tastes a lot like Ritz as I remember them from 6 years ago.

love2travel Mentor

Adalaide, as you know, I completely agree.  :D  THE best.

Archived