This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Birthday Cake Help Needed

paw

paw Apprentice

A friend on another site has a little boy who needs cake!

"Okay I really need help!! I'm not a baker! I love to cook and hate to bake. My darling wonderful son is going to be 3 on 12/11 and has been saying that he wants to have friends, cake and candles. Well he is allergic to wheat, corn, milk & eggs! I have no idea what to do. I have looked in all the local health food stores and I have had no luck. I also tried on line and can't find anything."

Can anyone come up with a recipe that will make this adorable little guy have a happy birthday? I am new at this and have not baked a gluten-free cake at all. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Why don't they just do a recipe with a rice flour mix, egg replacer , and a soy or rice milk? It should work!! Hope he has a great birthday!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

angel-jd1 Community Regular

You might have to do some checking around on the egg replacers, the one that I looked at has corn in it. Hummmmmm

-Jessica :rolleyes:

VydorScope Proficient

You can try this...

Baking

For each egg, substitute one of the following in recipes:

* 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 T. liquid, 1 T. vinegar

* 1 tsp. yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water

* 1 1/2 T. water, 1 1/2 T. oil, 1 tsp. baking powder

* 1 packet gelatin, 2 T. warm water. Do not mix until ready to use.

These substitutes work well when baking from scratch and substituting 1 to 3 eggs.

CREDIT: Open Original Shared Link

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Paw,

We have serveal food allergies as well. For cakes I use Gluten Free Pantry, Old Fashioned Cake and Cookie Mix. I don't see corn on the package but you may need to double check. They have a section of downloadable recipes and some area have egg free and dairy free recipe alterations.

Old Fashioned Cake

I use the mix and add:

2-3 Tbsp. of Applesauce (I've also used pureed carrot in a pinch and I've used Crofter's 100% Apricot Fruit Spread)

1/3 cup oil (I use organic canola or safflower oil)

1/2 cup milk (I use gluten-free vanilla rice milk)

2 tsp. gluten-free vanilla

Combined all ingredients and bake as package directs.

Open Original Shared Link free.com/recipes.html

***I've even used the mix to make cupcakes and it's worked great. :)

VydorScope Proficient
Paw,

We have serveal food allergies as well. For cakes I use Gluten Free Pantry, Old Fashioned Cake and Cookie Mix. I don't see corn on the package but you may need to double check. They have a section of downloadable recipes and some area have egg free and dairy free recipe alterations.

Old Fashioned Cake

I use the mix and add:

2-3 Tbsp. of Applesauce (I've also used pureed carrot in a pinch and I've used Crofter's 100% Apricot Fruit Spread)

1/3 cup oil (I use organic canola or safflower oil)

1/2 cup milk (I use gluten-free vanilla rice milk)

2 tsp. gluten-free vanilla

Combined all ingredients and bake as package directs.

<a href='Open Original Shared Link free.com/recipes.html' target='external'>Open Original Shared Link free.com/recipes.html</a>

***I've even used the mix to make cupcakes and it's worked great. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oooo gonna have to try that! Its sure awsome haveing other ppl on gluten-free/eggfree to talk to! Dunno what I would do withouta y'all!

paw Apprentice

Thanks for the ideas. Now, what type of frosting or icing can you do that is dairy free? Can you just use soy milk with the powdered sugar and some Crisco type shortening and vanilla? This little boy should have his decorated cake if we can find a decent recipe for his Mom.

Once we have the icing, I will be sending the link to this thread to the Mom and I hope she can make a nice cake! I am feeling very thankful that I did not have to worry about this when my kids were little.

My decisions were what kind of picture to have on the cake. We used rice paper wafers that were painted with special food dye and you could eat the wafer. I have NO idea if those are safe for allergies or not.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skoki-mom Explorer

You can definitely use shortening as an icing base. I use shortening instead of butter for icings that I use to decorate sugar cookies and stuff. It stays stiffer than butter, but should work fine!

jenvan Collaborator

I would tell your friend about Namaste mixes too--they are really good, and free of what you have mentioned. They don't say egg free--but I don't think there is egg in the mix, just the recipe. If so, she would only need to use an egg replacer. Open Original Shared Link

Also tell your friend about Cherry Brook's frosting mix. All the mix contains is sugar, cocoa, vanilla, salt. Go here (bottom of page) to see: Open Original Shared Link She could add her own non dairy butter or shortening in the directions, and she would be set!

jcgirl Apprentice

I second that on the Namaste mix. More specifically the brownie mix. My birthday was 2 weeks ago and my son used the Namaste brownie mix (you will have to use egg replacer). He added choc chips to batter, split batter in half and put into 2 9 inch round cake pans. Baked and cooled. He then add gluten-free caramel between layer and frosted. I do not have a dairy problem so I'm not sure what you can use for a frosting. For the filling you may be able to use jam or jelly. My son, the little baker, is turning 13 next week and wants a gluten-free brownie cake rather than a regular cake. My entire family loved this and the 'Gluten Free boogy man' actually snagged my 2 pieces that were left over and desinated especially for me.

We did try a gluten-free cake mix once and it was not good, rather flat looking cake. I do not recall the brand and I am in no way knocking any other brands.

I am just very very pleased with the Namaste brownie mix :P

Now I am craving some and have to can't have any until next week :(

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

The last time I used Gluten Free Pantry Old Fashioned Cake Mix, I used the Crofer's Apricot Fruit Spreed. I baked the batter in individual, half, dome silicon pans. I severed each person their own mini cake, warm with peaches and Vanilla Rice Dream "ice cream." No on could tell they were gluten-free. :)

I've also done cupcakes with chcolate icing. I used cocoa powder, vanilla rice milk and coconut butter/oil. (We've also got a soy allergy and can't use shortening.

I have a Namaste mix for the Blondies that I'm going to try with the egg replacer.

I've used their Waffle Mix and their Muffin Mix with Ener-g Egg Replacer but they didn't turn out very good. The muffins rose really well but the centers were very gummy. Anyone have any suggestions? :unsure:

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I made this as a "test" cake a couple of weeks ago. My son's birthday is in November. I used Bette Hagman's featherlight mixture. He has only been on the gluten-free diet since August, and the only other flour recipe I have used that my son really likes is Carol Fenster's sorghum-corn flour blend. I have no idea how that will work in this recipe, but I'll post the recipe and then the mix. (I got the recipe from the internet, I have no idea who came up with it originally, although I do have a non-gluten-free version that is just a bit different.)

Gluten Free Wacky Cake

1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour mix

1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum

1 cup sugar

3 tbsp cocoa

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla

1 tbsp vinegar

6 tbsp oil (I used canola)

1 cup cold water

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and salt.

Make three "wells" in the flour mixture. In the first well, put vanilla, in the second the vinegar, and in the third the oil.

Pour the cold water over the mixture and stir until moistened.

Pour into an 8x8 pan.

Bake at 350 until it springs back when touched lightly...about 30 min.

I also added about 1/4 cup plain yogurt for added moistness. The middle of the cake sank just a little bit after it cooled, but I think my oven is on the fritz. Everyone in the house liked this cake, but I think it did have the faintest "gritty" texture which most people say is the rice flour. If you use an alternative mix, you may not get that gritty feeling.

Carol Fenster's Sorghum Corn flour Blend

makes 4 1/2 cups

1 1/2 cups sorghum flour

1 1/2 cups potato starch OR corn starch

1 cup tapioca starch (flour)

1/2 cup corn flour

Please be aware that tapioca starch and tapioca flour are the same thing, but potato starch and potato flour are completely different.

Good luck! Edited to say obviously with the corn allergy he will NOT be using the sorghum corn flour blend, but maybe someone else can try it.

rocksea Newbie

Hi! I would like to introduce myself. I am the Mom that Paw has been talking about and was nice enough to help. He is the wonderful, cute, darling little boy pictured here (well he is my son....). He does not suffer from Celiac but has a lot of allergies. I would like to thank all of you for your help. I will be spending the next couple of weeks in the kitchen learning how to bake and decorate a cake. I'm not a baker, but I will try almost anything to make him happy.

paw Apprentice

Welcome Rocksea! I am glad you think this site will help you when it comes to feeding your son. :) There are so many recipes here, most of them you can use or modify. This group comes with very individual needs, but no one here is using wheat.

Happy Birthday (a little early) to your son. :D He is lucky his Mom is willing to try something new to make him happy.

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Hi rocksea,

Welcome!!

My family has multiple food allergies in addition to celiac disease. We're no gluten, dairy, soy, egg, pecans, cashews, almonds, pecans, peas, beans, coffee, tea, and garlic.

Acutally, a lot of us on the forum suffer from other intolerances and allergies. Often times people will post recipes that are modified for food allergies.

Hope your son has a wonderful birthday!!! :)

Archived