Rate this topic

Hi everyone!

I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago and have been completely gluten free since. I have not had any gluten in my diet, but I have been sick for the last two days. Yesterday was not horrible, but today I am tired again, have diarrhea, and my gut is making tons of noises. I have been getting better and better the last two weeks with almost none of these symptoms. I can't figure out where the gluten could have come from (and I am 99% sure I haven't consumed any). Is there any other reason I may be getting the common symptoms of being glutened although I wasn't?

Thank you for you help!

The stomach virus that seems to be going around the whole country?

Well, obviously, that's a possibility. lol I just wanted to know if anyone else had symptoms soon after they were diagnosed, although they hadn't consumed anything they weren't supposed to. I've been light headed and tired too though, which is common for me when glutened. Hopefully I feel better tomorrow.

You said 99% sure?  Have you prepared you Kitchen to be Gluten Free?  Did you eat out?  Take a look at the Newbie 101 Thread if you haven't already.  Hope you feel better.

Colleen

a couple of weeks is so hard to say you have been 100% gluten free. It is so early! I found things I was eating that had hidden Gluten in them. Cannot remember right off hand now what it was but it happens. Try to eat as natural as possible! Meat and veggies, make sure you wash your veggies before you eat them. If you eat canned veggies make sure you check the ingredients. Make sure anything like rice or Quinoa is Gluten free. So unless you have another intolerance you are probably getting a bit of Gluten in you. Also if your taking any meds they could have Gluten in them. The newbie thread is wonderful!! 

You said 99% sure?  Have you prepared you Kitchen to be Gluten Free?  Did you eat out?  Take a look at the Newbie 101 Thread if you haven't already.  Hope you feel better.

Colleen

Yeah. I have quite a few other Celiac's in my family. I had my kitchen and WHOLE house gluten-free before I was even diagnosed. I actually diagnosed myself, took it to the doctor, and he confirmed it with blood tests and a biopsy. I have started to feel better late this afternoon, so not sure what it could have been. I am still a little confused on certain products, but I have steered clear of things like that. I haven't eaten out either. Just got a call from the hubby though, and he says he isn't feeling well either. Maybe it is a stomach bug.

I guess I won't know until my body is completely healed. Then, as I have heard, it is much easier to sense when and how you are glutened.

Thanks for the help! I will definitely go check out the newbie forum!

Withdrawal could be the culprit too. It usually hits sometime in the first week gluten-free and lasts for a a few days or a couple of weeks. I found it quite exhausting when I experienced it. Either way, virus, or withdrawal, I hope you feel better soon.

This is the newbie link: https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/