This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dh - Never Heard Of It Before

JLorenzo77

JLorenzo77 Newbie

Hi guys - New to the board!  Been dealing with just a couple of bumps on my upper arms since early fall, 2013.  Initially I thought it was MRSA or something from the gym.  They looked like bug bites but eventually became weepy, almost pimple-like in appearance.  Dermatologist treated me with topicals, then oral antibiotics and finally prednisone.  The prednisone helped a little, but didn't resolve them completely.  In fact, I developed a few more bumps that eventually became weepy and crusty, almost resembling eczema on my back, elbow and wrist.

The only thing that makes me wonder if this is something else is because there are only a few, isolated bumps and it seems like DH is more of a rash.  Anyway, I am going to ask my dermatologist for a biopsy when I see him on Friday.

Curious to see what others are thinking!

-Josh

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Hi Josh,

You really haven't given us much info. about how the rash reacts, what it feels like, when it itches if it does itch, etc.... so there's nothing we can sink our teeth into to give you any feedback about.

It never hurts to rule out dh if you can get the derm to biopsy it properly. Ahhh, but that's the hard part.

DH BIOPSY INFO.

http://www.celiac.ni...Dermatitis.aspx  forget what they say about it's location on the body --- that's bunk --- we who have it can tell you it appears anywhere it darn well pleases & while it does appear where they say that's not the ONLY places it appears & not necessarily the first or most frequent places. You might want to print a copy & take it to the derm.

And the rash does not ALWAYS present as water filled blisters --- that happens when you've got it BAD. 
Open Original Shared Link

The use of either topical or oral steroids within 2 months prior to the biopsy will make the biopsy negative whether it truly is negative or not.

Also, one MUST be have been & continue to be eating a full gluten diet or outhe biopsy will turn up negative. If one is "gluten light" the biopsy will turn up negative. You can't just eat a few crackers the day or for a few days before the biopsy --- that will not work. YOU MUST BE EATING A FULL GLUTEN DIET.
JLorenzo77 Newbie

Hi Josh,

You really haven't given us much info. about how the rash reacts, what it feels like, when it itches if it does itch, etc.... so there's nothing we can sink our teeth into to give you any feedback about.

It never hurts to rule out dh if you can get the derm to biopsy it properly. Ahhh, but that's the hard part.

DH BIOPSY INFO.

http://www.celiac.ni...Dermatitis.aspx  forget what they say about it's location on the body --- that's bunk --- we who have it can tell you it appears anywhere it darn well pleases & while it does appear where they say that's not the ONLY places it appears & not necessarily the first or most frequent places. You might want to print a copy & take it to the derm.

And the rash does not ALWAYS present as water filled blisters --- that happens when you've got it BAD. 
Open Original Shared Link

The use of either topical or oral steroids within 2 months prior to the biopsy will make the biopsy negative whether it truly is negative or not.

Also, one MUST be have been & continue to be eating a full gluten diet or outhe biopsy will turn up negative. If one is "gluten light" the biopsy will turn up negative. You can't just eat a few crackers the day or for a few days before the biopsy --- that will not work. YOU MUST BE EATING A FULL GLUTEN DIET.

Squirm - Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and by providing such helpful links!  The bumps are constantly itching.  Keeping bandaids on them seem to reduce the amount of itch at times.  The rash seems to manifest itself in phases.  It seems to be a small minor bump which eventually grows a little, forms a puss-filled head, pops, seems to heal and then starts over.  But I only have two on one arm and one on the other.  I do have some of the GI symptoms associated with Celiacs but no doctor has ever thought to investigate that and it doesn't affect my quality of life.  I just feel like you are your own best advocate.  The issue with dermatological issues is that many of them resemble each other!  So frustrating!  The photos most of you have been kind enough to share looks like actual rashes.  Mine just looks like a couple of bumps.  I made an appointment for Friday so I may suggest the biopsy.  Thanks for the tips regarding prepping for biopsy!  Helpful!

squirmingitch Veteran

YVW Josh.

Itchy is what dh is for sure. It could be early dh --- then again.....

If you can talk the derm into a biopsy that would be great. Mention the GI symptoms but also mention that those with dh tend to have fewer, milder GI symptoms & also test false negative on the celiac blood panel 60% of the time.

It wouldn't hurt if you read this thread in it's entirety following the links contained therein.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/105888-newbie-feeling-desperate-how-long-before-i-see-improvement/

Let us know what happens.

JLorenzo77 Newbie

YVW Josh.

Itchy is what dh is for sure. It could be early dh --- then again.....

If you can talk the derm into a biopsy that would be great. Mention the GI symptoms but also mention that those with dh tend to have fewer, milder GI symptoms & also test false negative on the celiac blood panel 60% of the time.

It wouldn't hurt if you read this thread in it's entirety following the links contained therein.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/105888-newbie-feeling-desperate-how-long-before-i-see-improvement/

Let us know what happens.

The itch is ridiculous!!!  Trying to explain it to my wife is impossible.  I want to powerwash my arms!  Haha!  I will read the link and keep you all posted.  I have to say that finding this page was a fortunate turn of events for me!

Archived