Rate this topic

Hi All-

I picked up some peppermint spirits yesterday because I'm getting really crunchy an making my own toothpaste. They have 100% gluten free on the label, but it is 85-90% distilled grain alcohol (which I know can be made of corn or something else gluten free).  I called the number on the bottle to interrogate the poor people, but only reached a distributor who didn't have the company #.  Really I'm writing to ask this:  "I should just relax and enjoy, right?"

Needing encouragement to let go and try new products more than anything else.

Thanks!

There are particular rules about what types of alcohol can and can not be labeled gluten free, which is not an FDA thing. I don't remember what those rules are, but they're probably easily found. I would trust it. Heck, I'm so crunchy I make my own mint extract from vodka. Vodka is distilled, and I have no qualms about buying vodka made from wheat. I'll probably run out of Earthpaste this week and plan on starting to make my own. Being crunchy is fun! Super bonus: it makes my ultra-conservative husband just a little nuts. He's big on the saving money, not so much on the wife turning into a semi-hippie.  :lol:  B)

Found a link. http://www.ttb.gov/rulings/2012-2.pdf

Basically, if it's made without gluten, it can be labeled gluten free as long as the manufacturer can verify good manufacturing processes. So that claim on booze covers all our bases for us. Also, those gluten removed (lol) beers have to say gluten removed, not gluten free. It's a bit fancier than that, but that's the basics. So if booze says "gluten free" on it, we can be confident in what we buy.

ETA: I just realized how amazingly ironic it is how much I retained of this knowledge since my memory isn't what it used to be, or should be... and I'm Mormon.  :lol:

Nah, I'm the kind of freak who does things like use baking soda and vinegar on my hair, bake all my own sweets, I have a small garden in the summer, can a bunch of stuff, I won't microwave in plastic (most of the time, when I remember not to)... then I indulge in the occasional box of Annie's mac & cheese. I'm bad at this. :lol:

You shouldn't micro plastic...the chemist hubs says this is a NO- NO.

You're welcome.

Love, Mom

I would not say I am uber "crunchy" but I am just an old hippie, I guess (who did not even OWN a micro or a computer until I met the hubs --an ENVIRONMENTALIST and chemist who worked for NY ENCON who said "whattya nuts? welcome to the new world!  " (yes, he is a wise-ass...but I like that in a person

because well, I am one too) lol

..but I will say this:

(1) distilled vodka (even from grains) is safe.... or I would be d-e-a-d

(2) I am not making my own toothpaste, no matter how much of a "homemade is best" devotee I may be. 

but big giant crunchy kudos to you for bothering with that one!