This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omission Beer - Ok, I'm Omitting It.

C-Girl

JazzyJake Rookie

A beer snob and recently diagnosed celiac, I can report that the only tolerable Gluten-free beer has been the Green's Amber.  The Dogfishhead "Tweasons" is an OK drink, but tastes nothing like beer.  The rest have been awful.  Rice and sorghum do not a good beer make.  I'm not sure if I trust Omission, so I've steered clear for now.

The good news is that I am not an alcoholic - just a beeroholic.  I've been uninterested in wine or liquor.  I like hard cider OK, but not enough to drink it everyday.

I miss Fish & Chips with a pint of Guiness more than anything.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JazzyJake Rookie

mbrookes,  Try Magner's Irish Cider.  It is much drier - less sweet and cloying - than the American hard ciders.

I find the American ciders too sweet to drink too.

• 1 month later...
EzyEric Newbie

A beer snob and recently diagnosed celiac, I can report that the only tolerable Gluten-free beer has been the Green's Amber.  The Dogfishhead "Tweasons" is an OK drink, but tastes nothing like beer.  The rest have been awful.  Rice and sorghum do not a good beer make.  I'm not sure if I trust Omission, so I've steered clear for now.

The good news is that I am not an alcoholic - just a beeroholic.  I've been uninterested in wine or liquor.  I like hard cider OK, but not enough to drink it everyday.

I miss Fish & Chips with a pint of Guiness more than anything.

Likewise on both your first two points.  Beer snob, recently diagnosed.  Microbrews were probably the biggest thing in my life over the last 7 years so its what this diagnosis has hit the hardest in me.

I was so excited to learn of beers like Omission that are using this new technology.  Others I know of are Short's Alien Einstein and newest being Stone Delicious IPA.  As you likely know these beers are brewed with normal gluten containing grains but then add an enzyme like White Labs Clarity-Ferm which breaks down the gluten into smaller parts which do not show up on tests and in theory may not harm those with celiac disease. Omission and Stone post the test results of every batch online to lookup and everything Ive seen has said < 5ppm on the ELISA test.  The link posted earlier sheds some doubt on the accuracy of the ELISA test (at least for this specific type of beverage) and doubt on if the drinks are safe for celiacs. 

I have many comments about this.  First off if we cannot trust the ELISA test than what (science) can we trust? Are there other tests that would be more accurate? Can anything (officially labeled gluten free or not) thats either passed or failed the ELISA test be trusted? Isn't ELISA one of the blood tests used to diagnose celiac?

Next we the anecdotal evidence that this thread and forum is full of.  We all probably know that (even our own) anecdotal evidence cannot be completely trusted but in many ways its all we have and is probably the reason most of us are on this forum.  To discuss and read about personal experience.  I am too recently diagnosed to know what being glutened is for me to say whether I have a reaction to any food let alone a gluten reduced beer.  I hope to hear more personal experiences and results in trying these types of beers.  At least for those willing to.  Some of you may not agree but I really think we need to try to give these types of beers a try and not immediately dismiss them as BS or false hope.  Its worth the risk and examination for me since...[next paragraph].

As a microbrew aficionado / beer snob I can easily say these gluten reduced beers are the best and closest match to regular beer I have found.  Stone Delicious IPA actually being one of the best new IPA's had over the last year (before I stopped completely recently).  In case you are wondering I would say Greens is the best of the gluten free beers Ive tried.  If these (gluten reduced beers / the gluten reducing enzyme process) prove to be safe for celiacs (me...) than this has at least partially saved the biggest loss I've had from my diagnosis.  If the process works more and more brewieres will start using it and who knows we may even see a gluten reduced stout eventually (I have noticed all the gluten reduced beers are lighter bodied so I assume the darker ones have more malts which make it harder to get to gluten reduced levels). 

Since I am only week 4 into my first long 100% gluten-free trial I may actually avoid these beers for now to be sure I am on my way to becoming healthy once again.  Maybe I will get to a point where I can identify being glutened and will be able to give my personal results on these beers once again.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Welcome to the board Eric.  I agree that it would be a good idea for you to avoid those processed to be gluten free until you are well healed.  You will also, unfortunately, most likely have had a couple accidental glutenings so you will know better by then if you are reacting to them. Be sure to read the Newbie 101 thread at the top of the Coping section if you haven't already. It may be helpful.

I also do so miss a 'real' beer. There is noting like a cold crisp beer on a hot summer day.  I do wish they would come up with something without sorghum. I don't like it and it doesn't like me. 

I may get brave and try the Ommision sometime. As long as I know I have a few days off from work. Just in case...

LauraTX Rising Star

Welcome to the board, Eric.

While I understand it is hard to let go of the things you love to consume, I highly recommend staying away from these beverages, heavy alcohol use, and other processed foods while you are trying to initially heal after diagnosis.  Also, I would like to encourage you to not have a knee jerk reaction to all science in general just because there is no ELISA test that has shown to accurately interpret levels of gluten when it has been processed in this way.  Celiac disease research has a long way to go compared to more common ailments like heart disease, etc.  Here is a good writeup that objectively explains some of the limitations to the ELISA tests used to measure gluten content and why there are doubts about the accuracy of testing of these beers:

https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/reportUploads/Gluten_Removed_Barley_Based_Beers_Jan_14.pdf

When you are over your initial recovery and healing peroid, which can be a few months to a year+, then you can personally asses information available and make an informed decision on whether or not you want to consume these beverages.  But I do recommend waiting, and being very prudent now to minimize accidental gluten exposure so your body has time to heal.

• 3 years later...
etblack Newbie

I've had mild reactions to Omission so don't go near it, same for my co-worker who also has Celiac's. Interestingly Corona tests under 15 ppm and comes in lower than Omission. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master

-_- damn most of these post are filled with terrible, and misguided information. Gluten removed beers as of this date can not be reliably tested for gluten content. There for most celiac organization say to avoid them completely and they are not safe for celiacs.

If you want beer you have to go to non gluten grain based ones, hard ciders, and non gluten grain based liquors to be safe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived