BethM55

Almond Flour, Paleo Style Bread, How Many Eggs?

Rate this topic

I've been baking a bread made with almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, flax seed meal, salt, honey, apple cider vinegar, and FIVE eggs.  I reduced the eggs to 4 when I baked tonight, did not add any extra liquid, and the only difference is a slightly flatter loaf.  My question is how to increase the rise of the loaf without adding back the 5th egg?  I'm unsure of the chemistry of all this.  

This is not a sandwich bread, but it's lovely toasted and topped with butter or coconut oil or almond butter, or choose your favorite.  

I've noticed that paleo style recipes often use many eggs,  I'm fine with eggs, but it gets expensive using so many.  Almond flour is expensive enough!

Thanks!

Not sure the answere to your question but I do know it may be a lil cheaper to buy almonds and powder them your self. I used to make my own bread before going gluten-free. I have not attempted making any bread since. Looks like a nice recipe tho :) 

Hi! I was just browsing the site, as I am doing some cooking tonight.  I have a paleo bread recipe that calls for...get this...4 eggs AND 4 egg whites! I bought the eggs but just haven't made the plunge to bake it cause that is just a lot of eggs and it seems so weird.  Good to know the eggs have to do with the rising process. 

I am going to make it tonight finally. I have a vegan cookbook at home - I'll check out some of the bread recipes and see if they have another alternative for eggs that sounds viable (and less expensive than eggs)