Rate this topic

Back story: In 2004 I was diagnosed with an under active Thyroid, I was pregnant at the time and figured that the stress from the baby was the cause. Boy was I wrong. Fast forward to 2013, I went to my GP because I was having issues swallowing water. Ever eaten bread without a drink and had the feeling that it was getting stuck, this was the issue. My GP referred me to a gastro doc and he set me up with an upper GI just to get an idea of what was going on. This was done in March of 2013, in April I got a call from his office telling me that they had taken some samples and the pathology had returned a diagnosis of Celiac disease. To be sure he ordered a blood test to confirm the diagnosis. Well it was positive. So OK I have an issue with gluten not a problem. 

I started researching all the symptoms and found that I really did not have to many but I have two separate labs saying that this is the issue. I started cutting out gluten products from my diet in April, reading all the labels and looking up anything I was not sure of. 

Here are my questions.

1. I know that I have not been gluten free for long and I have slipped a couple of times but the problem is that unlike some I have read I do not feel the effects of the slip immediately, it has taken up to 10-14 days before I feel it. Am I the only one with this delayed reaction or is it because I am so new?

2. I have been reading about probiotics and how they can help "heal" your stomach and intestines has anyone had any luck with this?

Thank you in advance for all your help, I hate the "stomach virus" feeling several days after eating something new.

Amanda

Hi there!

It's not unheard of to have a delayed reaction such as yours. I've been told that reactions can happened immediately or be delayed by up to two weeks. Yikes! I don't know what my reaction time is because thankfully I haven't been glutened very often, and when I have I cannot pin point where it came from. It might be helpful for you to keep a food diary so that you can try to trace where your reactions are coming from.

Personally, I opted for not taking probiotics, and I seem to have healed just fine. But if you do decide to get them, make sure you get the correct number of strands and live cultures. 

Welcome to the board!

A food journal is a good idea. Somthing innocent like apples or tomatoes could be causing you problems. Lactose is a common problem among celiacs. I hope you figure it out.

As for helping with healing, L-Glutamine can help with that too.

Best wishes.