GFAnnie

Did Anyone Meet With A Dietician?

Rate this topic

My doctor recommeded that I make an appointment with the dietician in their office when she gave me the diagnosis.  I went ahead and did so, but I'm wondering how helpful it will actually be. It seems like all the research and answers are online.  I'm not sure how helpful this person can actually be.  It's a ninety minute appointment so she certainly has a lot of time to talk! But I was just wondering who did this and if they felt like they got much out of it.
Thanks!

I've seen a few folks on this board that have had good meetings with dieticians and many that have not.  That said, when I was diagnosed I did go to the dietician three weeks post diagnosis at the recommendation of my celiac doc.  This woman was the dietician for the UCSD's Celiac Center....so although it was not covered by insurance I went....and it was a big waste of time and money....I knew everything she offered me after three weeks living gluten-free and hanging around celiac.com and that was before we had the "Newbie 101" thread:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

I'd say if your insurance covers it go ahead and see if there is helpful info.   If not, decide for yourself if you are becoming confident living gluten-free or if you'd like more help/answers to questions you may have.

We went a few weeks after my daughter was diagnosed, and by that time I already knew all the important stuff. However, it was very helpful to get the inside story on local restaurants, and also to get specific vitamin brand recommendations. It was worth going for that alone. But having said that, I probably wouldn't have found it worth the money if our insurance hadn't covered it.

I did not see a dietician, but I would suggest visiting eatright.org to make sure the person you are seeing has a specialization in gluten intolerance/celiac disease and is a registered dietician.  90 minutes is a long time to spend with someone who is clueless :)   At this link click "search by expertise" and then select gluten intolerance:  http://www.eatright.org/programs/rdfinder/  if you can't find the dietician you are supposed to see on this website, I would suggest canceling the appointment and making an appointment with a RD that specializes in celiac disease.  good luck!!