This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Has Celiac Affected Your Professional Life?

CK1901

CK1901 Explorer

I'm working closely with the COO of my company as a part of ongoing training for my job. Every thing seems fine except for when the topic of food of arises. The executives at my company do a lot of traveling and go to a lot of business dinners. I can tell he thinks this is going to be an issue for me. Has anyone had celiac interfere with their professional success?

I think this guy is being somewhat discriminatory He's sort of eye rolly about the celiac thing. he doesn't seem to care about his own diet.

We went on a trip recently and he made no effort to accommodate me but rather told me to sit out on dinner all together. It was crushing to be truthful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BelleVie Enthusiast

What a jerk. Seriously. 

I haven't had to deal with things like business meetings, but would it be possible for you to get the names of the restaurants where you'll be meeting and to then call ahead so they know to expect you? Will you be going to the same places again and again, or will it always be different? If it will become somewhat routine, then at least the chef and staff will come to be familiar with you and your needs. 

Robert16 Newbie

Agree with him being a jerk but i can't eat nothing i a restaurants don't dare to so i just make my own food and take with me were ever i go has never been a problem for yet i just don't trust anybody else to cook my food to afraid cross contamination have never had a restaurant complain ar say anything about bringing in my own food

kareng Grand Master

Sounds like you will go to a lot of nicer restaurants.  The nicer places are more likely to understand and give you something gluten-free.  For example, I went to a "business" Christmas lunch for my hub's work.  We went to a nice place.  They could tell me what to get and not get.  Even gave me a different choice of dessert - berries with a flavored cream.  Yum!  

You can always get a salad and pretend to eat it.  Most places can give you a gluten-free salad with oil and vinegar.  Not exciting.  Bring a pack of nuts or a protein bar to eat before or after.  Or excuse yourself to the bathroom and eat it in the hall.  

If you are travelling, you will need to plan ahead and bring things with you.  You can call hotels and see if there is a grocery near-by.  Ask for a fridge in your room, etc.  We have talked about travel strategies on several threads.

C-Girl Contributor

I'm working closely with the COO of my company as a part of ongoing training for my job. Every thing seems fine except for when the topic of food of arises. The executives at my company do a lot of traveling and go to a lot of business dinners. I can tell he thinks this is going to be an issue for me. Has anyone had celiac interfere with their professional success?

I think this guy is being somewhat discriminatory He's sort of eye rolly about the celiac thing. he doesn't seem to care about his own diet.

We went on a trip recently and he made no effort to accommodate me but rather told me to sit out on dinner all together. It was crushing to be truthful.

Are you in the USA? Surely keep an eye on him, and consult an attorney re: AWDA - they aren't allowed to discriminate.

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I would not allow him to exclude you from dinner entirely.  Even if you eat before-hand and just have a drink at dinner - or if you nibble on safe food and eat the rest of your dinner later - or whatever works for you.  Excluding you from the dinner is keeping you from making contacts, bonding with other Execs, etc.  Insist on participating.

anti-soprano Apprentice

I agreed with the others: discriminatory jerk!! I also agree that you should guard against further exclusions from business dinners. The only problem I've encountered eating at up scale restaurants is that most of it tastes too good to be gluten free restaurant food! I end up being suspicious, but have never had an issue. They tend to know what they're doing, as Karen said. I suggest being very forward and upfront about being at the next dinner.  Take charge!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eers03 Explorer

It has.  It made me acutely aware of my mortality.  So, instead of working the same job that I didn't care for just so I could get a nice check--I left it.  I went to a place that I belong and fortunately, the people embrace me regardless of my dietary needs.

I promise you this, I will call out anyone that tries to deny me a meeting/networking opportunity because I won't be sticking my hand in the bread basket.  Psssssh.

I would tell that coworker that I'm not contagious--I just eat meat, veggies, fruit, and flour alternatives.  Deal with it.  As for traveling with work, I will be packing a bag for me with room for gluten-free dried snacks to get me by the parts of my trip where options for me aren't available. It seems like a tall order but it usually has a way of working out.

cap6 Enthusiast

Up-scale places are usually pretty good as they have chefs who see food issues as a challenge, not cooks who throw stuff on a grill.

livinthelife Apprentice

He sounds like a jerk. Every time we have a meeting where I work they always "forget" to order something for me and then fall all over themselves making empty apologies. I find it amusing at this point to pull out my very healthy meal while they all gorge on gluten and fat.  :P  :P  :P  :P  Is that terrible??!!

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

He sounds like a jerk. Every time we have a meeting where I work they always "forget" to order something for me and then fall all over themselves making empty apologies. I find it amusing at this point to pull out my very healthy meal while they all gorge on gluten and fat.  :P  :P  :P  :P  Is that terrible??!!

:)  I find it all worth it when about an hour after they're done eating they start complaining about how tired they are and how they're finding it hard to concentrate... meanwhile I feel great because I've been feeding my body all day with good, healthy stuff.

Archived